• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2-Weap + Rapid Shot = ?

Chriskaballa

First Post
An interesting rules question arose over dinner at the gaming table tonight. Here's the way we decided to phrase it when asking others what they thought.

Suppose Bob the 10th Level Fighter has Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Rapid Shot. (I forgot what leads up to Rapid Shot, but let's say Bob has them.) Bob wields a shortsword and a dagger, being the halfling he is. Bob is already in melee. He takes a full attack action, takes two good stabs with his shortsword and two swings with the dagger. With his Rapid Shot feat, can Bob now throw the dagger at another foe within range? As specified in the feat he did indeed take a full attack action and is making his extra attack with a ranged weapon.

The verdict?

-Chris

wolfpunk

First Post
Hmm not sure, but I would ask, would he provoke an AoO since he would most likely have a melee opponent within five feet of him when he made the throw?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yes, but he would have to make the decision before he made his first attack, because the -2 for using rapid shot applies to all his attacks for the round, as do the penalties for 2 weapon fighting.

dvvega

Explorer
The combination is fully feasible, in fact the Sage suggests it in one of his Powerplays.

Caliban is correct as always. :) You must declare this combination before you start your attack sequence as rapid shot does indeed affect all attacks that round.

One thing you should note is that Bob should take a 5' step backwards to avoid drawing an AOO from his throwing of the dagger. The 5' step is allowed before, during, or after your full attack so it's all good.

rln

Explorer
Let's see how those attacks are spread out without Rapid shot. I only count BAB and penalties here.

+8 (sword)
+8 (dagger)
+5 (sword)
+3 (dagger)

And with Rapid Shot this would be:

+6 (sword)
+6 (dagger)
+6 (dagger, thrown)
+3 (sword)
+1 (dagger)

It's quite hard to fight with a dagger that you have already thrown away. So, is all lost? No! Of course, you have already taken the feat "Quick draw" and can pull out a new dagger as a Free action.

Then again, with Quick draw and the same reasoning, you can throw up to FIVE daggers in one full round. Ouch! Combine with a high-level rogue under an improved invisibility spell and watch the carnage unfold as that sneak attack damage counts up...

Back to the presented scenario, I guess that Bob, being a human and of medium size, could also use a gnomish hooked hammer instead of a short sword if he had the training for it, giving him an extra melee attack. :D

Of course, the writing for the feats involved leaves much to the imagination. Do what fits your campaign best. Personally, I would allow rapid shot only if the rests of the attacks are of the same type (thrown daggers, bolts from repeating crossbow etc). I would also allow two-weapon fighting+rapid shot+quick draw for the five daggers, but that's just because I like dagger-throwing halfling rogues :)

Remove ads