20 Interesting Things from Monster Manual 2

frankthedm

First Post
Has anyone else noticed the disconnect between the Steel Predators lore section and the actual monster stats? It mentions consuming magic items and leaving behind residuum when destroyed, even though the stat block doesn't? It's almost as if the author got steel predator and rust monster confused...
Steel predators eat your stuff after they kill you. No need for a mechanic to prevent players from being boned if the character is already dead.
I hear you. But when I saw that Cartoon Network art for Maw of Acamar I decided there is no way I'm using it.
Yeah, its ilo doesn't look like what i want in a D&D book.
6) Bullywugs "turn any swamp they inhabit into a dismal echo of the land it once was." I'm guessing that a dismal echo of a swamp would be really dismal.
Don't forget some folks see swamps as beautiful wetlands:hmm: to be protected from being turned into something productive. In a fantasy world, it isn't unreasonable for swamps have a similar idealized beauty which the bullywugs set about to ruin.
Idealized swamp <<<<<>>>>> Bullywug swamp
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Gunpowder

First Post
What's with the white-knighting of swamps?

Well, it is the common misconception that all wetlands are terrible places only populated with man eating crocodiles, and deadly mosquitoes that has allowed the rampant destruction all wetlands which are not only one of the most biologically diverse biomes on the planet but also provide important services to humans such as flood control and water purification.

Asmor

First Post
Well, it is the common misconception that all wetlands are terrible places only populated with man eating crocodiles, and deadly mosquitoes that has allowed the rampant destruction all wetlands which are not only one of the most biologically diverse biomes on the planet but also provide important services to humans such as flood control and water purification.

:blink:

I just think they're not dismal-by-default.

But your explanation works too.

Rechan

Adventurer
I also like the Louisiana Bayou, as far as swamps go. Wouldn't catch me dead there, but it's a nice place to think about ("I Guar-On-tee!").

Rechan

Adventurer
11) Duergar have quills, as I've pointed out elsewhere on the boards. This is amusing to me.
I just had a thought.

You know what else has quills? Manticore. No one makes jokes about manticore tailspikes being thrown around.

Manticore also have humanish (maybe DWARFish?) faces.

So I shall henceforth think of the Duerger beardquills as manticore facespikes.

chitzk0i

Explorer
The new monster defense profiles don't even make it on the list? When i got to flip through a friend's MM2, I made a survey of monster defenses. I find the result... welcoming :)

Remove ads