• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20 Questions about your Game

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? I'm not sure what you mean by retainers. [.quote]

"Retainers": a.k.a. 'hirelings", "henchmen", in some cases becoming "followers." Someone whose services you "retain" by paying them...to carry your stuff, watch your back ("Here, just take this crossbow and point and shoot at anything green or grey that jumps out of the bushes.")...or go first and set off traps.Ya know, whatever. :devil: Retainers.

xigbar

Explorer
Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? I'm not sure what you mean by retainers. [.quote]

"Retainers": a.k.a. 'hirelings", "henchmen", in some cases becoming "followers." Someone whose services you "retain" by paying them...to carry your stuff, watch your back ("Here, just take this crossbow and point and shoot at anything green or grey that jumps out of the bushes.")...or go first and set off traps.Ya know, whatever. :devil: Retainers.

Oh, okay. Well, in a sense. The Leadership mechanic is pretty well established as being kind broken, but gaining a following through roleplay of lesser minions is interesting in any story-appropriate context. So, yes.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
1. Ability scores generation method?​

You got two options: 4d6 rolled in my presence, discard the lowest, assign as you please. All ability scores must be +4 in total or better. Second option: 45 point buy using the following table:

Score / Cost

5 0
6 1
7 2
8 3
9 4
10 5
11 6
12 7
13 8
14 10
15 12
16 14
17 17
18 20

2. How are death and dying handled?
RAW.

3. What about raising the dead?​
RAW. Clergies are very protective for their spells and all of them fight for worshipers, so if you are not one of the faithfuls you will have tough time finding someone to cast Raise Dead.

4. How are replacement PCs handled?
Usually a short delay while the remaining PCs are looking for new heroes. Delay is dependent on their level. Finding a 7th-level PC in a kingdom of 100k people is going take a week, maybe two or three.
5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
Individual. Cohorts, companions, familiars and such act on their "master's" initiative.

6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
You don't need to confirm crits. Strength damage is not multiplied. On a natural 20 you roll either 1d8, 1d10 or 2d6 depending on the weapon size vs. size of the target. You may get all sort of special results, such as severed nose. Usually Fortitude save DC 20 saves you from trouble. Fumbles are 1d100 roll, using different tables I have made. Using firearms and splash weapons result extremely bad fumbles, but otherwise deadly fumbles are unheard of. After 50 sessions no one has died from a fumble or gone to negative hp. 5th-level single class fighters have special immunity against fumbles, but they forget this edge if they multiclass (God I hate dipping!).
7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
Yes, with certain criticals you get immunity if you have a helmet. Such occasions rarely come up. 3-5 incidents per 50 sessions.
8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
If you refuse to take -4 penalty for melee, I will give 20% chance to hit a friend. Otherwise we go by the fumble-rules. With my fumble-rules people have hit a friend maybe a couple of times per 50 sessions. One of them however caused over 30 points of damage!

9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
Running hasn't been the only option. So far all encounters have been defeatable (is that even a word?) and few have been especially tough.

10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
If PCs have access to Restoration: Yes.
11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
No. Can't think of any. The level of magic hasn't been very high so far.

12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
Players have to remember this, I can't follow it. I try to remind them about it though.
13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
You have to sleep in a 100% peaceful environment for at least 8 hours and next morning talk about the experiences together. Multiclassing will require months of training. Taking the first rank in "trained only" skills will require training.
14. What do I get experience for?
Mainly RAW, but I tend to give mission-XP for successful adventures. In my game adventuring group with three 100% successful adventures has more XP than a group with four nearly successful adventures (assuming the encounters are identical).

15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
I ask how they are going to proceed. Taking 20 or not. Taking 10 with traps is not possible because it's a stressful situation where one feels threatened by the fact that you could die in an instant if you fail.

16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
No, I don't encourage them. I dislike DMPCs. PCs should be independent. Morale is usually a DC 15 Will save if half of the group is dead or if the group's leader dies while the company is facing heavy resistance.

17. How do I identify magic items?

Cities have wage-mages that can cast identify. They usually take some extra gold unless you are somehow connected with the right people. Everyone is greedy.
18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?​
Wage-mages are few and far between and they are strongly monopolized. Clergy of Boccob fights against magical item business to stop commercialization of magic. All clergies want you to be a worshiper before they will co-operate with you in any way. Mages are regularly employed and don't freelance. All in all, you have much better chance of buying an arcane item then a divine one. Also important: Everyone is scared shaitless of cursed items; they are taken VERY seriously.

19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
RAW but good luck finding materials worth 1000 gp or more. They are heavily monopolized and often extremely exotic. Longsword +1 weights 4 lb. but still you need 1000 gp worth of materials. We are talking about very specific and pricey materials that don't grow on trees. If you want them in a hurry, like within one month, you are going to have to pay some extra.

20. What about splitting the party?
Your chances of getting killed with increase astronomically.

Ant

First Post
The answers to these questions may change slightly depending on the system I'm running (usually either 3.5 or bD&D).

1. Ability scores generation method?
(4d6, drop the lowest, x 6) x 2 (ie roll up 2 complete sets of stats), choose one set and then arrange as desired

Staggered at 0 HP. Dead at -CON.

3. What about raising the dead?
Uncommon and expensive but achievable.

I love trying to slot new PCs into the game in a fun way. They usually come back 1 level lower than the deceased character they're replacing.

Individual for 3.5, group for bD&D.

Paizo Crit and Fumble cards for 3.5. For bD&D a 20 is max damage and a 1 may sometimes be a humorous botch if it fits the flow of the game.

Rarely factored into AC but occassionally roleplayed.

I fully endorse this course of action.

9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
Run! It's gone bleedin' mental!.

For 3.5 as RAW but will usually have a way to ensure that the penalties are negated after a time. For bD&D I do something similar.

More so in my bD&D games, but yes.

I'd like to track it better than I do but unless they're carrying 3 sets of armour and an anvil I'm not too fussed.

13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
I used to require a weeks training plus a cost of 100gp x New Level but these days they just ding up mid-dungeon. Mages and clerics still need to rest and study/pray before getting new spells.

Doing stuff, killing monsters, making me laugh, doing awesome stuff for the game outside of the game session.

Find traps roll or located if the player is specific (or if they blunder into it).

For 3.5 not actively encouraged and I don't use morale rules. For bD&D it's encouraged and I use the RAW for morale.

For 3.5 it is the RAW or trial and error. For bD&D I do something similar.

18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
I rarely have "magic shoppes" per se but magic items can usually be found (eventually) if the price is right.

In 3.5 as per the RAW. In bD&D, usually not although lesser magic items may be possible if the player is creative (I once had a bD&D player come up with a very imaginative way of creating a vial of holy water).

The party splits all the time, often to its most granular level. I pretend that I hate it but secretly its kinda fun. ;)

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Ability scores generation method?
Your ability scores add up to a modifier total (usually between 8 and 11). 3 odds.

How are death and dying handled?
With the greatest sensitivity. Just kidding.
My vp/wp system makes it relatively hard to die.

What about raising the dead?
You have to trade a soul in (i.e. kill someone of equal or greater HD) to raise the dead (but not reincarnate). Yikes.

How are replacement PCs handled?
If you die, you make a new PC at the same level.

Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
Individual.

Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
Crits, as part of my vp/wp system, multiply damage and deal a portion of it straight to wp. There are no fumbles.

Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
No, unless it's magic or part of your suit of armor.

Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
Yes.

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
If you don't run, I won't save you.

Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
No. Replaced with con drain.

Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Sure. Lots.

How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
Not that strictly. I generally leave this to the players.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
Typically I wait until there is some down time, both in game and in life. I don't require training.

What do I get experience for?
You don't. You level when I think it's time. Everyone usually levels together.

How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Traps? I wouldn't worry about those. You won't be in a dungeon. But if you com upon a trap, it's going to be largely about dice rolling with some description.

Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
I don't do anything on either of these fronts. You roleplay your characters, and I'll do mine.

How do I identify magic items?
Knowledge checks. Or ask nicely. Identify spell as a last resort. I'm not stringent on this.

Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
Sure, as long as you're in a big city or you can find a vendor. Preferably in between sessions; I hate wasting time on business transactions.

Can I create magic items? When and how?
I suppose. If you take the feats and I feel like giving you some downtime. I wouldn't recommend that, because I tend not to give you much downtime.

What about splitting the party?
Sure.
I enjoy intercutting as a style, and as long as the character dynamics are interesting and genuine, I'll let the good times roll. I try to limit things as little as possible.

GameDaddy

Explorer

3d6, straight down the list, re-roll 1's and 2's one time only

Dying at 0 to -9 HP, Dead at -10 HP. If you are at 0, you automatically lose 1 HP per round until you are either treated or die.

3.What about raising the dead?

Allowed, very expensive, but difficult to find NPC's with the skills to accomplish this

4.How are replacement PCs handled?

Always introduced during a convenient interlude or down-time.

Always individual, countdown from Dex 18 to Dex 1, simultaneous initiatiive allows for both parties to deal damage before damage effects are applied.

Natural 20 is a crit, Natural 1 is a fumble. Mostly play 0D&D, so we keep this quick. Characters above level 8 are very rare

Reduced chance of crit (Attacker must re-roll and obtain 2nd crit), helmets often restrict player's sight though.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Always. The player's need to manage their resources carefully to survive

For combat or skills no training required. Every spell is unique. New spells are created by the magic-user. They must describe what the spell does, how long it takes to cast, and the verbal somatic and material component required by the spell.

Killing monsters, obtaining gold, successfully overcoming challenges and puzzles, creative problem-solving.

Thieves and Rangers primarily roll to detect traps. All characters however, have a base 5% chance of spotting and 5% chance of disarming any trap. Every disarm success increases that by 1% to a maximum of 25% for non-thief/ranger characters.

Yes, they must be paid regularly, They must receive at least a share of the loot regularly, and the 2d6 morale system from RC is used with raw recruits having a morale of 7, experienced retainers having morale 8, guardian retainers
having base morale 9, veteran retainers having base morale 10, and elite retainers having base morale of 11. No retainer has a base morale of 12.

Identify spell. Legend Lore and Legend Lore variant spells provide explicit details.

Yes, no.

Yes, During down-time. Because each spell is unique and provides unique effects expensive and time-consuming research and trail-by-error experimentation is required.

Whatever the players like.

Sure - I'll join in. Although my answers are going to be a little strange because of the situation we play in - the wife and I tend to run solo games for each other, but we like to use purchased adventures. So running one (maybe 2) characters through a module need more powerful than normal characters - and we don't often have extra npcs for the combat. In a full group setting, I would not be doing anywhere near the same kind of over the top stuff.

Yahtzee method. Roll 5 dice keep as many as you want. Roll the rest again. Repeat 1 more time. Take highest three.
Scene cut, and an explanation of how you really didn't die (like the cliffhanger and next episode on a classic film serial)

3. What about raising the dead?
Often - if needed.
Games are designed for a solo PC, so ways are found to not let character die.

Individual - when in group 1 d20 is rolled and everyone just adds theirinitiative bonus to that one roll

Standard 3.5

Specifically no - but magic ones are fun.

No

9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill e
verything?

Some running required.

Very limited

Yes - but see above.

Fairly - mostly in weapons and armor. Bags of holding become fairly common early in game.

Training and money. 1st edition approach - no matter how much XP you earn in adventure, you don't raise a level until you train. Your XP stops at 1 pt before the level beyond which you train for.
Killing things, avoiding things, quests.
combination

Not encourages. Work mostly thorugh RP.

Spellcraft Check to get basics, spells back in town.

Yes - although the less common the item, the less likely it will be. a +1 sword will be in most every magic shop. Ioun stones are much harder to find. Think of it likes books at a thrift shop - you will always find Stephen King, John Grisham and some Romance novels. Tolkien is less common but there. Finding E E Doc Smith is rare.

Yes. Standard 3.5 rules.

Solo play - but when it happens - I just go around the table like normal, intermixes each groups actions.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I have some questions about people's answers.

"Fire into melee" is vague. But since an area effect isn't something you're usually "firing," I took it to mean actual ranged attack rolls. Which come with a -4 penalty (or spend a feat) specifically to avert ANY chance AT ALL of hitting allies.
Do this many of you actually nerf archers this hard, or did you mean area effects when you said firing into melee can hurt allies in your games?

For those that handle item identification with Identify or paying other people, do you factor in the costs of this when tracking the PC's wealth to make sure they keep up roughly with the expected wealth by level? Or if you don't pay attention to that table, is the massive sunk cost factored into your decisions on how much loot there is at all?

Loonook

First Post
This was making the rounds since last week. I just wanted to post my own answers, blogless as I am. Here are the questions:

1. Ability scores generation method?4d6dl reroll 1s.
  2. How are death and dying handled?Death is pretty permanent, and dying is standard 0 down the spiral to -10.
  3. What about raising the dead? Very rare in most games, usually with consequences dire if it is needed.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? We encourage creation of extensive backgrounds, viable NPCs to take to PCs.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Individual in most situations
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Yes. Additional Damage or if above a certain threshold of damage, causes some horrible effect for PCs and NPCs alike.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? Yes.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Yes, you will run.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?Hells Yes
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Pretty strict
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? Leveling occurs dependent on the specifics behind it. No, automatic spells do not occur, training for certain things may be required if you do not have any experience in the specific skill or class at all.
  14. What do I get experience for? Adventuring, Killing, RPing.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Both
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Yes, morale is usually 'if the bit looks bad, hirelings run the hell away'. Yeah, we use dice :).
  17. How do I identify magic items? Identify, or items/services. Appraise has the ability to do so too.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? Yes and Yes.
  20. What about splitting the party? Whenever possible.. What could happen?

Mercutio01

First Post
I have some questions about people's answers.

"Fire into melee" is vague. But since an area effect isn't something you're usually "firing," I took it to mean actual ranged attack rolls. Which come with a -4 penalty (or spend a feat) specifically to avert ANY chance AT ALL of hitting allies.
Do this many of you actually nerf archers this hard, or did you mean area effects when you said firing into melee can hurt allies in your games?
I took it to mean ranged attack rolls when I said "no" to whether it could hit allies. Like you said, the alternative is a serious nerf to archers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads