• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20 questions for a roleplayer

kristov

Explorer
We are trying to encourage role playing in our group but so far it isnt working too well.

I was listening to the Fear the Boot podcast actually and one of the guys mentioned he normally had a 20 questions kind of questionnaire paper he handed out to his players to not only get background information on the characters but also help encourage role playing by the characters identifying their characters motivations etc.

Can anyone share a link to such a questionnaire with me? We could really use one for our group.

Thanks!

Quickleaf

Legend
Sometimes the "menu" approach of D&D can stifle creativity. Also, surprising as it may be for those of us who life the dramatic parts of role-playing there are plenty of gamers who aren't interested in an immersive world - their dwarven paladin doesn't need any more definition than that. I'd make sure everyone is on the same page - maybe have the players "type" themselves based on the player motivations section at the beginning of the DMG?

For the mother of all questionnaires check out:Roleplaying Tips - RPG advice for roleplayers, gamemasters, all role-playing systems

If this kind of structure feels forced or draws blank stares, one trick is to use a lifepath system to generate a background - a series of tables you roll on and then weave a cohesive story. It often produces interesting stories. I'm finishing one for my upcoming D&D campaign.

Here's an example of how a character created with this lifepath might look:

Lifepath Example: Huric the Rogue
Huric was born in the woods as his mother was gathering herbs. (Birthplace = Wilderness)
Born under the sign of the Centaur he exhibited all the vigor and brashness of youth, and was a particularly good shot with his sling – to the chagrin of the neighbors. (Star Sign = Centaur)
His parents argued over his future, and he was an intermediary. (Childhood Environment = Angry)
The son of a poor free laborer family, he was used to doing hard work. (Caretaker’s Origin = Birth Parents; Caretaker’s Background = Free Laborers)
He is an only child and wishes he had an older sibling to guide him. (Siblings = Only Child)
Both his parents live in a small town and are still arguing. (Caretaker’s Status = Alive)

His father had hopes of him becoming a guardsman like him, but a fall while trying to repair the roof left Huric with a permanently injured leg. (Tragedy = Accident)
His luck improved when Huric befriended a beautiful hedge mage and learned a bit of magic from her. (Enlightenment = Arcane)
With a bit of magical knowledge he tricked a merchant out of a large sum. (Fortune = Financial Boon)
He also used his magic to seduce the merchant’s daughter, but ended up getting her pregnant. The merchant’s family forced a wedding. (Romance = Pregnancy, Crossbow-point Wedding)
However, his wife died during childbirth, leaving behind a baby girl. (made this part up)
The merchant’s family took the baby girl away from Huric. This has led them to become bitter enemies. (Enemy = Patron, Heft = Clan, Animosity = Rift, Intensity = Angry)
Huric and the hedge mage have feelings for each other, but haven’t consummated their relationship because of local custom. (Romance = Lingering Flame)

Abilities: +1 Constitution, -1 Wisdom
Special: Prime Shot
Bonus Class Skills: Athletics, Nature
Skill Bonuses: +1 Diplomacy, +1 Insight
Gold: +175
Bonus Feat: Arcane Initiate
Wound: Leg (slowed, speed 2)
Enemy: Merchant’s family

mrlaurie

First Post
Developing Characters & Role Play

I've used various surveys or forms for characters to fill out regarding their character's background, personality, unique characteristics, etc. But I find that the depth only matters, if there's an opportunity for the DM to weave the uniqueness into the story of the adventures. In addition, I think it's critical that players keep in mind their PC's motivations and fears while they are playing. Character actins should be guided by their unique motivations, not just what's the most likely to earn treasure or XP.

Check out my thread on describing character actions for one way to add flavor:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...describing-character-actions.html#post4656622

For Characterization consider some of the following:

Fears: When choosing fears for your character, only choose beings or situations that would not normally inspire fear or horror in a typical hero. For example, do not choose dragons or demons, as such beings inspire fear in nearly all beings. Also do not be too specific. Choose fears that a character has encountered, and will encounter again-- they should be relevant to the story.

1) Mortal Fear--

2) Three Major Fears--

3) Why does the character have these fears? Why can’t they be overcome?

Desires: Again, choose things that are relevant to the story. These desires should be the things that motivate your character to action, and different from a typical adventurer. You shouldn’t choose things such as “adventuring”, “combat”, or “treasure”.

4) Passion: (This is something that your character would always fight for or try to get, over all obstacles. The character lives for this.)

5) 3 Major Wants: (other main motivators)

6) Why does the character have these desires? When will your character be satisfied or content?

Tidbits from your past:
7) You can’t stand __________________________ because ____________________
___________________________________________________________________.
8) You want revenge against ________________________ because _____________
____________________________________________________________________.
9) Your most treasured possession is _____________________________________
10) You have an inseparable bond with _____________________ because _________
11) You are haunted by ___________________________________________________________________
12) There is something about you that you cannot explain, something strange, it is
Enemies:
13) You betrayed _________________________________________.
14) You killed _____________________________________.
15) You stole __________________________________ from __________________
Characterization- words, expressions, mannerisms
What is your expression or word for each of the following:
Death: ____________________________Food: ____________________________
Drink: ____________________________Fighting: ____________________________
Heaven____________________________Treasure____________________________
Enemies____________________________Allies____________________________

Irda Ranger

First Post
We are trying to encourage role playing in our group but so far it isnt working too well.
Does roleplaying matter at your table?

Maybe you say it matters, but does it really? Do you put your DMing where your mouth is?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here; I said it that way to get your attention. That's how it was said to me when I needed to hear it, and it worked. So now that I (hopefully) have your attention, let me say that a different way.

Does roleplaying direct the course of the campaign, or does the DM provide a constrained world of simple "Left or Right?", "Cave or Woods?" -type decisions? Because in the latter case you don't need roleplaying (a coin to flip will do) and trying to roleplay is frustrating (it doesn't change the choices in front of the PC). PCs won't roleplay when it's both :)1:) unnecessary and :)2:) frustrating.

On the other hand, when roleplaying is both :)1:) required and :)2:) rewarded, you get roleplaying in spades. It's all about the incentives. I'll give an exaggerated example from my recent campaign (names have been changed to protect the unfairly represented):

Me (DM): So, those are the (seven) rumors you heard in the Inn. Now what?"
Hank "0-Dimensions" Smith: Uh, I dunno. Pass me the Cheetos?
Bill "1-Dimension" Renard: Do you think the Elves would pay a reward?
Fred "The Human-Supremacist and Disciple of the One-True God" Ortega: :):):):) those elves! We're going to put a stop to those goblin raiders! Those human villagers need our help.
Bill: Do you think the human villagers would pay a reward?
Fred: Is that all you think about? ... Look, unless you guys have a good reason not to, we're going north and putting some heads on stakes.

Two results:
:1:) Fred directed the quest. Not me. (Intrinsic Reward) His choice controlled the choice of quest, the goal of the quest, and (just as importantly) what the quest isn't. To be clear: the Quest wasn't "Wipe out the goblins" (although that's an option); it was "Make sure the human villagers are safe from goblin raiders." Any course of action that meets that goal is a "Finished Quest."

:2:) Fred's character got +10% bonus on the Quest XP. (Explicit Reward)

And note that there was no immediate Karmic result for being a racist jerk. If you want roleplaying you have to allow it to play out, not punish it. Otherwise you get meta-roleplaying and PCs asking "Ok, how does the DM want us to react here?".

I was listening to the Fear the Boot podcast actually and one of the guys mentioned he normally had a 20 questions kind of questionnaire paper he handed out to his players to not only get background information on the characters but also help encourage role playing by the characters identifying their characters motivations etc.
I like this worksheet from Neceros. But just to drive home the point: the worksheet is useless unless you support its use at the gaming table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads