• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

$2000 for ALL future Fast Forward products

baseballfury

First Post
OMG! I wouldn't pay $2 for all the FFE books, never mind $2,000. They are one of the worst d20 print publishers out there. I honestly wonder how they stay in business.

vrykyl

Explorer
Fast Forward is doing very well from my vantage point, both with their own products--exciting licenses including R.A. Salvatore's DEMONWARS and CROSSGEN Comics--and the other companies for which they do sales and marketing (FanPro's Classic Battletech and Shadowrun, Pinnacle's Deadlands and Savage Worlds, and my own company's Sovereign Stone and Dragonlance properties). Those betting on Fast Forward to go away are probably doomed to disappointment. This is my admittedly biased viewpoint.

There is going to be no settlement with Wizards of the Coast, because Fast Forward acted quickly to resolve the problem within the "cure" period of the license. An unfortunate mistake, but one that does not hurt the company too badly for the long run.

Jamie Chambers
Sovereign Press, Inc.

DaveMage said:
I purchase most of the d20 print materials that are produced, but after what happened with FFE today, one has to wonder if they are simply doing this to raise money to pay a potential settlement over their misuse of Wizard's product identity, and then going to fold.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
kingpaul said:

While I wasn't going to quite put it that way, I was going to comment that it was interesting that this announcement comes out the day before the other one did.

Yes, very suspicous behavior.

And, no, I wouldn't pay $2000 for a lifetime of FFE books. Now, that would be a steal for Fantasy Flight Games products... well, maybe more like $1000.

baseballfury

First Post
vrykyl said:
Fast Forward is doing very well from my vantage point, both with their own products--exciting licenses including R.A. Salvatore's DEMONWARS and CROSSGEN Comics--and the other companies for which they do sales and marketing (FanPro's Classic Battletech and Shadowrun, Pinnacle's Deadlands and Savage Worlds, and my own company's Sovereign Stone and Dragonlance properties). Those betting on Fast Forward to go away are probably doomed to disappointment. This is my admittedly biased viewpoint.

It's great that they do well for the other companies, like yours and Pinnacle. Maybe they should make that the focus of their business and get out of d20 publishing. They are just no good at it and would perhaps be better served going with their strengths (selling better publishers' books apparently).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I might do a "lifetime" for some companies, but as I stated above, the only one I'd consider for $2000 would be WotC.

I *might* pay a lifetime $750 for other d20 companies, but since I'm not intrerested in non-d20 items, the company would have to be producing mostly (90%+) d20 products.

Jim Butler said:
The original program from TSR back in the late 70's did indeed offer those who invested a certain sum of money (I can't recall the exact amount, but I think it was $1,000) 1 free copy of all products that TSR produced. For those who took advantage of it, it turned out to be a good deal.

When Wizards bought TSR, there were 30-some people still getting free products. Wizards bought some of those people out of their lifetime contracts, but I believe the number is down to about 11 now. They're still receiving free copies of products.

Thanks for the skinny, Jim!

EarthsShadow

First Post
All I know is now I want a copy of each of the four books they ended up destroying because now any released copies will be more rare and worth more in a few years...theoretically speaking of course. ;)

As for the $2,000...I guess if they promised one copy of each book they have published so far AND all copies of future books then the deal isn't that bad. Also, because they are selling for more companies than their own, would this deal also include the books from sovpress and the rest, or just only FFE books?

Abulia

First Post
EarthsShadow said:
All I know is now I want a copy of each of the four books they ended up destroying because now any released copies will be more rare and worth more in a few years...theoretically speaking of course. ;)
Then walk into any game store and pick them up... FFE only had to destroy copies (according to the press release) in their posession; retailers and distributors are under no such obligation.

My FLGS has all their FFE product heavily discounted. Not a hot seller in my area, apparently. *shrug*

Regards,
Don Mappin
Freelancer for Hire

ShaneHenry

First Post
Help UNICEF Save Children's Lives in Iraq

$2000 would buy any one of the following:

A) Immunize 117 children against the major childhood diseases.

B) Blankets to protect 440 small children from the cold.

C) Vaccines to protect 14,266 children from a preventable disease, measles.

D) Handpump, pipes and accessories to install 13 shallow wells
to benefit over 3000 people.

E) Vitamin A capsules to protect 33,200 young children from blindness and improve their overall health for one year.

F) One of every product Fast Forward makes from the time you send in your money until the day you stop rolling dice for good!

http://www.supportunicef.org/

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Forgive me if this sounds a bit harsh, but Shane, must you post the guilt-trip semi-political uses of two grand here? Reading that bothered me due to the inherent nature of trying to imply what was the "better" use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads