2005 ENnie Nominations

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Michael Morris said:
Wulf, der_kludge -> I suspect you both have dynamically assigned IP addresses. This being the case someone who has an account with your ISP has voted, and when the IP's where reassigned you got their IP. I'm sorry but there isn't much I can do about this. You can try waiting another 24 to 48 hours and trying again.

Based on the number of folks I'm hearing from who have so far been unable to vote, there's clearly something up with AOL.

(I mean, other than its general suckitude.)

But a number of friends from the same geographic area (no doubt using the same AOL dialup) cannot vote, despite repeated attempts.

GlassJaw

Hero
Based on the number of folks I'm hearing from who have so far been unable to vote, there's clearly something up with AOL.

Yes, AOL assigns IP addresses differently than other ISP's. I'm not surprised that AOL used are having problems. I remember being in a conference when I was working in the networking field and one of the topics of discussion was AOL. They do some kind of weird, proprietary dynamic IP thing. It's a real pain.

Technically though, even if you use cable or DSL, those IP's are dynamic as well; they just don't change that often. The providers can change them whenever they like though (mostly to prevent you from running servers from home).

A better way to keep track of voting is to only allow one vote per user id or to email all the users a specific code # that can only be used once.

GlassJaw said:
A better way to keep track of voting is to only allow one vote per user id or to email all the users a specific code # that can only be used once.

This would be fine if the only people who voted we regestered users, but they are not. We are open to anyone who wants to vote, therefore we need to use a different method, which is the use of IP.

Clueless

Webmonkey
The only wierdness I can see with that is an honest question on my end: It's a free account - why *not* get one? I've never quite understood the folks who refuse to get one.

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
As of today 1,981 ballots have been cast. If we stopped right now 1 of the races would end in a tie!!

So I urge you - get your friends to weigh in - rock the vote.

Michael Morris said:
As of today 1,981 ballots have been cast. If we stopped right now 1 of the races would end in a tie!!

So I urge you - get your friends to weigh in - rock the vote.

Wow. That's pretty awesome.

joe b.

Michael Morris

First Post
NP grodog

Well folks, as of this morning we have 2,738 ballots, and still many of the elections are tight (within 50 votes, which considering the number of ballots). One in particular that I've watched with interest has switched leads each time I peeked in.

So keep the ballots coming - they will make a difference :)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Michael Morris said:
NP grodog

Well folks, as of this morning we have 2,738 ballots, and still many of the elections are tight (within 50 votes, which considering the number of ballots). One in particular that I've watched with interest has switched leads each time I peeked in.

So keep the ballots coming - they will make a difference :)
Once the voting is closed, can you tell us which category kept switching leads (you don't have to tell us the winner, obviously, but I'm curious to see which was the tightest one)?

--The Sigil

Remove ads