2005 January-April Wizards products

Arnwyn

First Post
Staffan said:
OK, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast is OK. Rather light on mechanics though -
Woo! Just the way I like my FR accessories.
The thing is that while the outlying areas are interesting, I'm certain that the vast majority of FR campaigns take place in the Heartlands, not in Halruaa or Thay.
I think we both know the reason for that... and that's exactly the point of my argument.

Staffan

Legend
arnwyn said:
I think we both know the reason for that... and that's exactly the point of my argument.
I don't think the lack of support material for the exotic parts of FR is why most campaigns are set in the heartlands. I think it's because most gamers actually want a pseudo-medieval campaign setting, which is precisely what the Heartlands provide. The exotic parts are meant to be just that, exotic.

Numbers just taken out of my butt, but I don't think it's inconceivable that something like 75% of the FR fanbase are mostly interested in Heartlands campaigns, which would be spread over 9 or so regions (Silver Marches, the rest of the North, Western Heartlands, Dalelands, Cormyr, Sembia, Moonsea, the Vast, and the Dragon Coast - I may be forgetting one or two). Also, someone interested in the Heartlands would be likely to be interested in more than one bit of them, since there's a whole lot of interaction going on there.

The remaining 25% are the ones who'd rather buy exotic lands. However, these will by necessity have less detail (since you're using one book to cover like 3-5 countries), and people interested in one are less likely to get and use more (because the regions aren't as interconnected - there's a lot of travel/intrigue going on between the Dalelands and the Moonsea, but less between Aglarond and Amn).

So, any given Heartlands book might be interesting to 50% or so of the FR fanbase (2/3 of those interested in the Heartlands in the first place). Any given exotic book might rather be intereting to 5-10% (1/5-2/5 of those who'd rather have exotic books).

Of course, it's not that cut-and-dried. Of course, there are plenty of people who are interested both in the Heartlands and in exotic places. That's why I feel that it would be best to mix them up. Say, one Heartlands and one exotic sourcebook per year.

Oh well, that's one more advantage of Eberron. No arguing about whether to write new treatments of things done ages ago or to write treatments of peripheral things people rarely go to - because it's all new :)

JeffB

Legend
Staffan said:
I don't think the lack of support material for the exotic parts of FR is why most campaigns are set in the heartlands. I think it's because most gamers actually want a pseudo-medieval campaign setting, which is precisely what the Heartlands provide.

Bingo. And exactly why I haven't bought any Realms products since The Silver Marches.

The aforementioned 50/50 split between Heartlands and "other" regional books would be a good idea.

qstor

Adventurer
buzz said:
Shadow Chasers appeared in the form of a preview of the d20M rules prior to its release. Genetech was originally slated for inclusion in d20M, but was cut and then released in Poly.

Checking the Wizard's d20M site, I can find no mention that any setting other than UA was intended to be released as a seprate campaign book.

I guess I was wrong :) I thought that WOTC was going to release all of the settings in the main book as seperate d20 Modern books.

Mike

Olive

Explorer
buzz said:
Genetech was originally slated for inclusion in d20M, but was cut and then released in Poly.

It's going to be in d20Future now... so presumably expanded from the Poly version.

GlassJaw

Hero
Eberron is the future, at least, that's what WotC believes. I wouldn't be surprised if the Forgotten Realms gets forgotten in a few years

I certainly hope not. The FR books have consistently been the best 3ed books IMO. I'll give anything FR-related these days a shot because chances are it will be good. The new Serpent Kingdoms book blew away any of the other new books like the Complete books or the Planar Handbook.

I hope Eberron doesn't cut down on the FR stuff. I know Eberron is going to be at the forefront of WotC in the next year or two but a few FR books a year would still be nice. And from what I've seen, it still seems like there will be.

Not all of us are "dropping trow" for Eberron. Eberron has some nice ideas but it didn't get me going half as much as it did for most people. But then again, I didn't like Arcana Unearthed that much either so maybe there's something wrong with me. :confused:

I very skeptical about the "Races" series. You could see the 3.5 class update books coming but do we really need a whole other series of crunch books? Unless there is something earth-shattering in these books, I'l definitely pass. I already have enough races to slash from my campaign as it is.

Monsoon28

First Post
Well going back to the Codex of Anathema, the write-up is now on the products page at WotC.

And here it is for your convenience. :D

"Codex Anathema: The Book of Aberrations takes a comprehensive look at the most bizarre monsters of the D&D world and the heroes who fight them. It provides detailed information about beholders, mind flayers, aboleths, and other popular aberrations, while also introducing several new aberrations. In addition, this book provides new rules, feats, tactics, spells, and equipment for characters that hunt aberrations. Extensive story and campaign elements add interest and dimension to playing or fighting creatures of this type. The book features a prestige format, with heavy use of art throughout and a full-painted cover."

Monsoon28

First Post
Also for all those speculating on D20 Past here is that write-up as well:

"This new rules supplement provides everything players and gamemasters need to participate in adventures in the time period between the Renaissance and World War II, including new character options and rules for early modern firearms. It begins with an exploration of the historical period between 1450 and 1950, then provides rules for creating characters and campaigns that blend realism and fantasy. d20 Past also presents alternative campaign models, along with all the rules needed to play swashbuckling pirate adventures, Victorian horror investigations, thrilling Pulp Era escapades, and more, including three ready-to-play campaign modules."

Remove ads