2006 ENnie Judge Nomination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenHyde

First Post
I, Selma McCrory, am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors.

While I'm not an active participant in these boards, I've been playing RPGs since the 1980s. I write, though not professionally (and in fact, wrote an early conversion of some of the rules from Player's Option: Spells and Magic to 3e), and I read hordes of material for my job. I own a very large amount of RPG books (like most of the judges here), and I've seen material that I love, and material that I wish I'd never bought (or was glad I didn't).

I am impressed by the amount of time past ENnies judges have put into the process, and now that I am blessed with a much more flexible job schedule, I'd like to put my hat into the ring. I have the enthusiasm, the flexibility, the time, and I read pretty fast. I'm used to working in groups and I would love to have some input.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I, Matthew Muth, am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors.

Qualifications: I have been playing and running games since 1980, mostly running, which allows me perspectives on playability and mechanics. I can examine things from both sides of the GM screen and am confident that I can critically analyze things while still being fair with minimal bias.

I keep up on the latest material and whereas I do not know any publishers or writers, personally (which may be a positive), I am familiar enough with their bodies of work.

I am an active member of this board and would represent the place with dignity and maturity.

I have written a number of reviews on the reviews area that reflect a wide range of ratings and opinions.

I have been attending GenCon for about ten years and attend the ENnies on a regular basis, understanding how the process works.

As a research attorney I see material presented to me on a daily basis and am required to read documents that most others don't want to and be able to make some sense out of them. I can communicate well in the written form and can meet deadlines.

Whereas I have my favorite games and my favorite publishers I can divorce myself my personal tastes and give everyone a fair representation.

I have a passion for gaming, for bringing others into the world of gaming and do my best to be familiar with products as they come out.

For me, being an ENnies Judge would be an honor like no other.

Drawbacks: I have never been an ENnies Judge before (but always had an interest in it).

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I, Hans Cummings am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors. I live in Indianapolis, IN.

This is my first time putting forth myself as an ENnies Judge. I have been gaming in some form since 1982. Among the games I have played over the years: D&D, AD&D, Star Wars (WEG), Star Wars (d20), Marvel Super Heroes, Paranoia, Bureau 13: Stalking the Night Fantastic, The Morrow Project, Top Secret, Top Secret S/I, Twilight 2000, DC Heroes, Star Trek (FASA), Dr. Who, Ghostbusters, and others.

I am employed as a catalog content editor and I was a technical writer in my previous job. As such, I'm required to have great attention to detail and the ability to meet strict deadlines. I'm currently pursuing a degree in English with a focus on Creative Writing. In the pursuance of said degree, I have taken editing courses and I have taken editing workshops, making me an ideal candidate to judge the quality of written works. I have also written several pieces of non-published fiction (though you can read them through my blog), and I have several reviews of products on ENWorld and Amazon.com

Currently, I run a 3.5 D&D game with seven players running the gamut from power gamers to hack 'n slashers to role-players. I have a large library of d20 and OGL products that I've read through for enjoyment, though I'll probably never use them. I intend to attend GenCon for at least as long as it remains in Indianapolis.

Thank you for your consideration.

JediSoth

diaglo

Adventurer
I, David Temporado, am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors. I live in Stone Mountain, GA.

trancejeremy said:
Qualifications: Pretty much the standard bio of a person who started gaming as a kid in the 70s.

Heh, most RPG companies/authors already hate me, so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Why should you vote for me: Well, you'd probably get rather different results than previous Ennies. (Not that the previous Ennie nominees were incorrect, exactly, just that I have seemingly much different taste than previous judges.)

Definitely won't be going to Gencon

ditto. i'll just add my hat of d02 knows no limits, so you will definitely not find a tougher critic.

JoeGKushner

First Post
After some careful thinking, I've decided to throw my hat into the arena once again.

Let's see... turned 34 this year. Felt the same for the most part, so I think I've got the age thing down.

In terms of systems, while d20 is my favorite due to time constraints, it hasn't stopped me from playing some other newcomers like Mutants & Masterminds, nor reveiwing books for other lines like Exalted and I just got the huge book, Pulp Hero. Other systems included BRP (Stormbringer/Call of Cthulhu), Harp, RMSS (Rolemaster Standard System), old World of Darkness (Used to do some Hunter and one of my friends loved the old Werewolf system), GURPS 4th ed (more to read than to play so far), and I'm sure there are a few others that've squeaked by in their time.

I was one of the judges two years ago so know the work that's involved. Lots of reading and lots of debate.

In terms of other things I'd like to do, well, when I was the judge, and even this year when I wasn't, I tried to review and add some topics of discussion for the books that were judged. For example, Poisoncraft in '04 and Dawning Star in '05 along with other books like Dark Legacies Player's Guide in '05. I figure that writing reviews and putting the word out helps to minimize the "I've never heard of that" game threads we see so often when judging gets done and nominations are posted.

One thing I'd like to try and push through this year if elected, is more of a semi-blog where some of the judge's discussions are put into some type of format for the readers so they have an idea of what criteria the judges are talking about. I know for example, that in '04, I was impressed by the graphic design and layout of Tome of Horrors 2, especially in comparission to the original Tome of Horrors. A huge step up for that book, and hopefully, one the 3.5 PDF will met.

So in short, a former judge, whose also an EN World reviewer, and RPG.net Quicksilver reviewer, whose familiar with several game systems, and whose reviewed several of the products sent and wants to help people know what these games are about, puts his hat into the ring.

Oh yeah, I'm also from Chicago, and well, you know how the voting goes in Chicago!

nakia

First Post
I, Nakia S. Pope am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors.

I've been gaming since 1988. I've run several long term Dungeons and Dragons campaigns over the years, in all three editions of the game. I'm familiar with various RPG systems, including permutations of the d20 system such as Spycraft, Grim Tales, and Mutants and Masterminds. I'm also familiar with GURPS, the Storyteller system, HARP, Shadowrun, and various other systems.

I see being an ENnies Judge as a way to contribute. It's a way to give back to the hobby, to help recognize those products and people that have enabled us to have so much fun over the years. It's also a way to give back to ENWorld and its members. The site and those who visit here have given a lot to me in terms of game advice, entertainment, and friendship. I would like to give something back.

I'm a professor at a university, so reading and evaluating material, be it student papers, scholarly articles, or gaming materials, is part of my life. My profession, conveniently enough, gives me a flexible schedule and summers that are generally free. I will definitely attend Gen Con.

I appreciate everyone's consideration and their vote!

Quickbeam

Explorer
I, Kevin Bopp, am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors. I live just outside Detroit in West Bloomfield, Michigan, and would be willing to act as Submissions Coordinator.

I've been a candidate for ENnies Judge in previous years (finishing as high as 9th or 10th overall) and appreciate all of the support the community has shown me in the past. I didn't volunteer my services last year, because other obligations would have precluded me from devoting the necessary time and attention to this process that it deserves and requires.

My background in gaming is extensive and diverse, starting with the D&D Basic Set in the early 80's and continuing through today. I've been a DM, player, and Judge for a wide array of roleplaying games in numerous systems ranging from Call of Cthulhu to Kobolds Ate My Baby. Since Joining EN World several years ago I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting and gaming with many of you at various Gamedays (Chicago, Columbus, Detroit) and GenCon. In fact, one such event was the genesis of my current gaming group! I've also been fortunate enough to share momentous events with each of you, while working to help others in their respective times of need. Simply put, I genuinely appreciate what it means to be a part of this community and feel honored to be affiliated with such a fine group of people. I see the role of ENnies Judge as a way for me to give a little back to the games and people who've given me so much.

Currently, I work for a small real estate development and property management firm. My job requires me to manage over half a million square feet of commercial office and retail space, which includes tenant relations, leasing, financial reviews, contract negotiations, building systems and more. How does this add value in my role as a prospective ENnies Judge? For starters, it means that I'm really good at multi-tasking since my role within the company requires me to wear many different hats throughout the day. Additionally, it means that I'm capable of wading through substantial amounts of reading material in short periods of time, without compromising the ability to recall critical details. You can also be sure that managing so many tenants and personalities enables me to work (and play) well with others :D.

During my career I've also had the privilege of drafting numerous legal documents and business plans. That process has helped me understand how best to organize material and content in a technical sense. In gauging the presentation of RPG books from an artistic perspective, I'd draw from my background in creative writing...which I feel is represented by my efforts during the Iron DM competitions.

One of the best things about this hobby is the diverse array of options it provides and the unbelievable array of tastes it can suit. I use GenCon and our community Gamedays to broaden my own gaming horizons, always looking to dabble in new settings and systems. The judging panel's review and award process is the single best vehicle for bringing new products, systems, and talent to light that I'm aware of. I can't imagine a better way to help shape the future of gaming than participating as an ENnies Judge.

Xath

Moder-gator
I, Gertie Barden, am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors. I live in College Park, MD, and am willing to act as Submissions Coordinator.

This will be my second year throwing my hat into the rink, and my thanks to all of those who voted for me last year. For the past two years, I have watched the Ennies judges at Gencon, and I have admired the friendships and experiences they have gained through their participation in the event. I’ve seen how moved publishers are when they find how much their product means to the gaming populace. I want to be a part of that.

I add an element of diversity to the group, being both young and female. I’ll be newly 21 by the time next Gencon rolls around (and I plan on enjoying it). I’m an undergraduate theatre major at the University of Maryland, College Park which means that if I’m chosen to be an Ennies judge, I will be able to arrange my spring schedule to allow enough time to devote to every aspect of the Ennies. Living just off campus also gives me easy access to shipping and package delivery for the purpose of submissions coordination.

At the University, I am on a position search committee for new faculty and staff openings. This gives me experience in both impartiality and confidentiality. Both are good traits in a judge in any position, and I feel they would be good traits for me as an Ennies judge.

I’ve been roleplaying for over 6 years now. My first system was D&D 3.0, but I’d like to believe that I’ve branched out quite a bit. During my 2 years working retail for Wizards of the Coast, I had to familiarize myself with every RP Product we sold. (And I worked there before they decided to cut out non-WotC products). I also designed and chaired an experimental “Dungeons & Dragons” league within the local WotC stores.

As a member of the University's Terrapin Gaming Club, I also helped plan and organize the first two MD-DC-VA gaming days.

Systems I am familiar with include:
• D&D 3.0/3.5
• D20 Modern
• Sidewinder: Recoiled
• Deadlands D20
• Mutants & Masterminds
• HARP
• Exalted
• Mage
• Hunter
• Star Wars D6
• Star Wars D20
• Wheel of Time
• Lord of the Rings
• Paranoia

When I commit myself to a project, I work to make sure that it is completed on time, and that it is completed to the best of my abilities. I would do no less for the Ennies.

Gertie Barden

Last edited:

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Deadline Fast Approaching

Please be advised that I am asking that this thread be closed at midnight EST tonight (Friday) in order to set up the poll. Voting will begin Saturday, October 1st.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I, Matt Bogen, am at least 18 years old. I have read and agree to abide by the Guidelines set forth by the ENnies Board of Directors. I live in Putnam County, NY, and am willing to act as Submissions Coordinator.

I have no "publisher relationships" this year, so I'll throw my hat into the ring, as well.

I’ve been played RPGs for over twenty years, and have been a DM, player, and playtester in that time. I have a lot of experience in critical reading, editing, and weighing the relative merits of gaming material. I also have much experience working on committees (I’ve been VP of two different theatre groups in my time), and know how to mediate disputes and come to agreements.

I think it would be a lot of fun, and I know it would be a lot of work, to be an ENnie judge. I’m up to the challenge, and I hope to get your vote to serve on the committee!

Thank you for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads