• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2006 ENnies Judge Voting Poll/Thread

Pick up to five (5) candidates for Judge for the 2006 ENnies.

• Ankh-Morpork Guard (Graham Johnson)

Votes: 172 26.1%
  • Crothian (Chris Gath)

Votes: 426 64.6%
  • Cthulhu's Librarian (Richard J. Miller), SC

Votes: 348 52.8%
  • diaglo (David Temporado)

Votes: 235 35.7%
  • Eridanis (Matt Bogen), SC

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • JediSoth (Hans Cummings)

Votes: 34 5.2%
  • JoeGKushner (Joe G Kushner)

Votes: 367 55.7%
  • Keeper of Secrets (Matthew Muth)

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • Mixmaster (Leslie Foster), SC

Votes: 44 6.7%
  • nakia (Nakia S. Pope)

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Quickbeam (Kevin Bopp), SC

Votes: 82 12.4%
  • RavenHyde (Selma McCrory)

Votes: 62 9.4%
  • Tarondor (Scott Nolan), SC

Votes: 47 7.1%
  • Teflon Billy (Jeff Ranger)

Votes: 458 69.5%
  • trancejeremy (Jeremy Reaban)

Votes: 84 12.7%
  • Umbran (Arnis Kletnieks)

Votes: 108 16.4%
  • Xath (Gertie Barden), SC

Votes: 149 22.6%

• Poll closed .

Brad Hindman

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
Well, it's an internet message board Man:) If you are making your voting decisions based on familiarity with the Candidate, then I would hope that it has something to do with their posting habits as well as their stated qualifications:)

It's also a reasonable stance that post count might indicate a dedication to the community. Which in my opinion isn't a bad quality in a judge.

*** Low sigh at my own feeble post count ***

Xath

Moder-gator
The_Universe said:
And the presence of a Y chromosome effects RPG product judging how?

Voting for women for the sake of having women on the panel is silly, just as it would be to vote for the dudes for the simple sake of making sure that "testosterone" is properly represented. Vote for individuals based on their merits, not based on what they may or may not carry between their legs. Sheesh!

You misinterpret. I'm not saying it effects product judging. Nor am I suggesting that anyone should vote for anyone based on their gender. I'm saying that I'd like to see a female judge on the panel for a few personal reasons. One is that I'm female and I'd really like to be a judge; thus, I'd really like to see a female judge on the panel. Two (and others may find this odd) but as a woman I feel more connected to women. I'd just feel as though my views were a bit more represented if there were a woman of the panel. There's no real basis for this, because everyone has different tastes in RPGs, but there is at least a general correlation of tastes among women.

I just voiced an opinion. Sheesh! ;)

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
MavrickWeirdo said:
I'm going to assume that RavenHyde (Selma) is female. I don't see any evidence that any of the other judges is femail. So if 2 out of 17 qualifies as "so many" then I am happy for you.

Hmm...Perhaps I misinterpreted some of the names...

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Interesting Discussion!

First of all, I'd like to point out that it's only been two and a half days since I opened the poll, and we've already got over 400 votes cast. Last year we only had 542. So yay ENWorlders for voting! Keep it up!

I definitely want to encourage more voter turnout, hence me spamming some other boards. Hey all you nominees, include a link in your sig to the poll, and increase your post count!

There are plenty of other methods of judge selection. I was hoping that the results would be hidden, but the poll system here doesn't allow for that. It would've been a nice start. Hopefully next year we can get Michael Morris to set up an alternative/instant runoff vote similar to what we did for the products for the judges. It'd also mean that non-ENWorlders would have an easier time voting, which might keep some publishers happier. Maybe next year we'll have two voting rounds: one for the experienced judges panel of 2-4 judges, and one for the remaining n00b spot(s) to enforce some turnover. Maybe we'll only allow nominees approved by the Board of Directors to be included on the polls. Heck, maybe we'll allow non ENWorlders to run! All sorts of possibilities exist and will be explored.

I just wanted to get the selection done in an expedient manner, and the poll system was there and ready to go. It ain't perfect, but heck, neither are humans. It'll do for this year.

As for the estrogen thang... well... I like Xath. She was brave and dressed up for the costume competition at Gen Con Indy (IIRC in a Game of Thrones-related gown she sewed). She volunteered for the ENnies ceremony the year before. She outgeeked us all by bringing up character stats in polite conversation at a party. I voted for her not because she's a chick, but because she's a great gamer, and a breath of fresh air. The gender's just a bonus. So when I said earlier that I was happy to see some girls joining in, I should've specified qualified gamer girls.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
What influenced your vote? What makes a good judge?

So people, I'd be interested to know what has influenced your choice in judge selection.

Familiarity with their name?
Familiarity/agreement with their views?
Quality and/or Number of Reviews posted?
Past gaming professional cred?
Perceived dedication to ENWorld?
Past experience and/or performance as ENnies judge?
Gender?
Age?
Location?
Post Count?
Campaign Speech?
Personal connection with nominee/met them IRL?

Also, what do you think makes for a good judge?

Familiarity with multiple game systems?
Impartiality?
Shared bias with your preferences?
Eloquence?

Please share, there are a lot of nominees who are very interested to know!

Crothian

First Post
And also, more general then Dextra's post what do the people voting think makes a good judge? Which of course she asked too. ;) :eek: :cool:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Somehow, I missed this one earlier...

Teflon Billy said:
Hey, now don't go putting words in my mouth:)
Questions don't put words in your mouth. They give you the opportunity to clarify, if you so desire :)

And I tend to agree. Not just becasue I am doing well (thanks all!) but because, honestly, what do you think would produce results better reflecting the Zeitgeist than the calssic "One Person/One Vote" model?

There's any number of good voting models. But there's things that can bring odd results to your election other than the voting model itself. For example - having the results available before the polls close is known to affect voting patterns.

Secondly...I don't think it's fair to categorize any of the previous judges as being a "Sacrifce of the future for the sake of the now". I've worked with all of them, and am perfectly confident in their ability to do the work required.

No individual judge has ever been a bad choice, to my knowledge. But that doesn't mean the pattern of chosen judges is necessarily the most desireable one. Of course, there's the question of what constitutes "most desireable" there. Each will have their own opinons on that.

I don't know about that. It seems to come up every year in one form or another.

That's rather why I think it doesn't matter that much.

I'm just not sure that any "fix" I can imagine does anything but punish incumbents for successfully doing their jobs. :\

You make it sound like judgeship is a right, so that taking away that right is punishment. I view judgeship as a service one can render to the community. Being held off from performing a particular service every once in a while doesn't seem like punishment. YMMV.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Umbran said:
You make it sound like judgeship is a right, so that taking away that right is punishment. I view judgeship as a service one can render to the community. Being held off from performing a particular service every once in a while doesn't seem like punishment. YMMV.

Well, my "mileage varies" quite a bit:)

I certainly don't think Judgeship is a "right", and I'm not sure where you get that.

I would think that running for the position (an option open to anyone in the community) is probably something I'd consider a right...and one that most of the fixes I've heard described seem to be interested in removing.

And even that doesn't get my back up too much.

What does though is the idea that the idea that one would be "held off from performing a particular service every once in a while" for no other reason than they keep getting voted in by the general populace...seemingly the acid test for whether they should be doing the job (YMMV).

I mentioned it above once, but I think it kind of got lost, so at the risk of repeating myself; if the general populace wants incumbent judges out of the Judging Panel, a mechanism is already in place for making that happen.

But it looks like they largely don't.

If you start monkeying with the system because you don't like the results generated by the voting public...well, yeah, my mileage varies on that one quite a bit:)

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
In my opinion...

Familiarity with their name?

This certainly helps. After all, I can't have much experience of who they are or what kind of judge they'd be if I've never heard of them. The nomination blurb helps, but I'd like to see more.

Familiarity/agreement with their views?

Familiarity yes, agreement no. I tried to vote for people with a wide variety of views. I felt that this way the results of the Ennies would be more applicable to the entire gaming population.

Quality and/or Number of Reviews posted?

Not particularly. More like quality of posts. I read reviews, and they tell me a bit, but you can learn just as much about a person from their posts.

Past gaming professional cred?

It helps, but it's not everything. Variety of experience is just as importance as variety in gaming preferences. It helps get more well rounded results.

Perceived dedication to ENWorld?

Yes. These positions require a lot of dedication. I give some corrolation to dedication to ENWorld and the ENnies.

Past experience and/or performance as ENnies judge?

Yes. I think all of the previous judges have done a good job. It stands to reason that they would do so again.

Gender?
Age?
Location?

Again for variety. Not required by any means, but nice to have.

Post Count?

Not particularly. People can have a high post count without contributing to the community. Others can have under 500 posts, but their posts were all well thought out and meaningful. (Not to imply that this is always the case, but I tend to look at quality as much as quantity).

Campaign Speech?

I read them all. But I don't know how much they influenced my decision.

Personal connection with nominee/met them IRL?

Yes, definitely. The internet can be very misleading, and people only see as much of you as you want them to see. In person, it's a bit more difficult to hide things. I have met and liked almost all of the people I voted for. (As in I havn't met one, not that I don't like him)

Also, what do you think makes for a good judge?

Familiarity with multiple game systems?
Impartiality?
Shared bias with your preferences?
Eloquence?

Familiarity with multiple systems is very important. It makes it that much easier to understand and appreciate a new system that may be submitted into the competition. Impartiality is useful, but so is bias. You may be able to judge a mechanic by being impartial, but there's no such thing as an impartial vote on "best art." And as I said above, I'd prefer a variety of bias. Eloquence? Meh. As long as they can get their point across. Don't get me wrong, the ability to express onesself goes a long way, but I only care about eloquence if they have to pull PC's duty of podium host. That's where eloquence matters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads