2007 Judge Selection

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Treebore said:
The only way I see for a smooth transition is to have the same judges two years in a row. Which is fine with me, but how would you make such a change/transition without it being confusing? Other than see about the judges keeping the job two years in a row?
I think we should have at least one new judge every year. Any organization can get in a rut if there isn't change and fresh ideas.

Treebore

First Post
Piratecat said:
I think we should have at least one new judge every year. Any organization can get in a rut if there isn't change and fresh ideas.

I was thinking having the same judges two years in a row just for making the transition to having the voting take place so the Judges could be named at GenCon.

After having thought about it some more I guess it really wouldn't be much of a pain. Have voting and judges appointed as they have been, then have another voting period for next years judges up to a couple of days before GenCon. Like the first two weeks of August. or something like that.

Then the publishers can send new material to the Judges ASAP, so they may actually have enough time to playtest, etc...

Yeah, I think Dextra has an excellent idea.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Actually, surprisingly many. Many companies use GenCon to premiere new products. These products then fit into the next year's judging window.

Treebore

First Post
Kaladhan said:
How many products submitted for the judging process are available at GenCon the year before? I would guess very few.

I only saw one box, and that also contained donations for auctions, but it looked like 10 or so products. Which from what I understand is less than 10% of the normal number of submissions.

Plus it also depends on how many companies participate. ICE, for example, is not participating this year. WOTC doesn't participate. Even though WOTC still got the Silver for Best Publisher last year (Green Ronin was Gold). Others may opt out as well.

There is a list of last years participating publishers on the ENnies site. That can give you an idea of how many products you and I won't be reading this year. ;)

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
At Gen Con 2006, as an afterthought on Sunday, I went around the dealer hall soliciting entries. I came home with enough product to fill a box for each judge from a variety of publishers, new and old.

What I like about it is, if we have the judges announced at the ceremony, we can send them home with a box of books right away and give them plenty of time to evaluate product. That and the fact that the publishers were glad to not have to worry about shipping out product, which could mean more submissions from companies previously reluctant to enter.

Win, Win!

Generally I think it is a good idea, but would this mean that only people at Gencon would be eligible to be judges? Also, if judges are running around soliciting their own entries, what happens if one judge doesn't hit every booth, and ends up not getting a copy of a book that the others will be considering?

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Master of the Game said:
Generally I think it is a good idea, but would this mean that only people at Gencon would be eligible to be judges? Also, if judges are running around soliciting their own entries, what happens if one judge doesn't hit every booth, and ends up not getting a copy of a book that the others will be considering?

1. judges would be announced at gen con. they don't have to be there, the entire voting process would be similar to what just occurred- but in late july (after the products were voted for)
2. i (and/or my designate- teflon billy is truly fabulous when it comes to securing swag!) would be solely responsible for collecting submissions, that way it reduces confusion. i would kick the behind of any judge going around soliciting entries without myself or the submissions person present- it doesn't look good, and i wouldn't want publishers to feel harassed.

Bront

The man with the probe
Dextra said:
If I have my way, we'll announce the following year's judges at Gen Con Indy. That way they can take product home with 'em, rather than ship it, and get a head start on evaluations. With the increasing number of submissions, giving them plenty of time, I think, is a good thing!
I think that's a fantastic idea, and makes the release window more obvious to any potential entrants.

Remove ads