• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
+5 and lucky does not guarantee beat DC 19.
Neither does Advantage, if you're rolling, but I believe there was an understanding to take averages, in the absence of a DM to judge the rolls (or perhaps roll for the players). On average, it does.

Hohige

Explorer
Neither does Advantage, if you're rolling, but I believe there was an understanding to take averages, in the absence of a DM to judge the rolls (or perhaps roll for the players). On average, it does.

I will wait for action for action, before talking about my action.

prabe

Supporter
I will wait for action for action, before talking about my action.
I believe that before the wizard's actions can continue, you need to explain how the nightmare came to be on the material plane. Basically, was the effect that brought it here instaneous (in which case the nightmare itself cannot be dispelled) or did the effect have a duration (in which cast the nightmare itself can be dispelled). You stated it was being controlled by Planar Binding (which can be dispelled, regardless) but we need to know if you are falling or riding an unwilling mount.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
The thing that always seemed weird to me about games that involve a hefty dose of magic countermeasures is that such games usually become even more focused gameplay wise on the players of spellcasting PCs because the game becomes about measures and countermeasures, basically problem solving your way around magical countermeasures by proper utilization of your own magic.

As I said, I don't entirely disagree--and I don't think 5E has quite the high-level spellcaster problem you do (as I understand you). Part of it, of course, is that at least one player is making a concerted attempt at cheez, which--if you're trying to demonstrate that even with the cheez, the character isn't invincible--doesn't leave the other side much choice but to deploy their own cheez. I'm fortunate as a DM, because my players haven't (yet) demonstrated much of a tendency to go for the cheez.

Sure. I gotcha.

It’s just that, from first principles, I think the case is trivially made that high level D&D spellcasters are inherently “cheez” (hence the “cheez” vs “cheez” arms race).

Even 5e Wizards (etc) become extraordinarily powerful by level (say) 11. A well played Diviner is comparatively overwhelming in terms of the trajectory of play and dictating gamestate compared to martial counterparts. My only 5e GMing was intermittent stand-in GM, level 7-20, for a game featuring a Diviner and 2 exclusively martial characters; Fighter and Rogue. The Diviner dominate play. Dominated.

The few sessions I watched with the primary GM (who was the adversarial block, Force-fest type depicted above). Gloriously, his attempts at fudging Saving Throws to protect the structural integrity of an encounter against the Wizard deploying an encounter-ending/obviating (or altering to the point of obviation) were (hilariously!) compromised by the Wizard’s Portent-pool!

prabe

Supporter
The thing that always seemed weird to me about games that involve a hefty dose of magic countermeasures is that such games usually become even more focused gameplay wise on the players of spellcasting PCs because the game becomes about measures and countermeasures, basically problem solving your way around magical countermeasures by proper utilization of your own magic.
That's why I try to keep things ... well, "realistic" isn't exactly the right term, but I try to keep in mind that given the existence of magic there will be things people do, to protect themselves, if they can; and I have a standing request that the players not embrace cheez, so I don't have to.

Well, it's at least part of why, anyway.

Hohige

Explorer
I believe that before the wizard's actions can continue, you need to explain how the nightmare came to be on the material plane. Basically, was the effect that brought it here instaneous (in which case the nightmare itself cannot be dispelled) or did the effect have a duration (in which cast the nightmare itself can be dispelled). You stated it was being controlled by Planar Binding (which can be dispelled, regardless) but we need to know if you are falling or riding an unwilling mount.
There is a grotesque look.
The Bastion is extremely manipulative, evil and powerful.
Nightmares are intelligent creatures that serve evil creatures.

Well, as it is average, the creature remains as a mount. Roll a charisma check (Deception, Persuation) to remain friendly.

It's is also a not granteed dispell.

Remove ads