• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20th lvl Wizard needs spell suggestions

Terenon

First Post
must have

One spell that is overlooked is Simbul's Spell Sequencer. You can load up the matrix with 4 Scorching rays. You have a total of 12 rays 4d6 damage a piece with no save. A devastating attack that is a free action.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I like some of the books from the draconomicon. Specifically stuff like scale weakening, vulnerability and lower spell resistance. I also really like dragon breath: 1 spell which does multiple elements of damage, plus sleep, repulsion, weakening and paralysing, and multiple shapes (lines and cones). I mean sure, each attack is only 1d6 per two levels, but it does last (IIRC) for 1 round/level, which means it'll outdamage most other 3rd level evocations.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Bah.

I know MUCH better spells. :)

R&R II

Abrim's Prism Cloak (nice for dealing with Shadow Adepts.)

Accelerate Reflexes (Mass Cat's Grace, eat your heart out.)

Beetle Swarm (You liked the Mummy's little friends? Well here they are again!)

Blade Meld (Cause weapons to meld into your flesh when hit. Now who woudn't like that?)

Bloodied Blade (make the puny rapier thirst for more blood)

Burden of Faith (Evil cleric got you in a fix? Make him make encumbrance checks while trying to cast spells!)

Censure of Mesos. (If you can make a guy fail, he won't be casting spells, using spell-like abilities, or getting supernatural stuff period. At least for a while.)

Chains of Binding (Bigby could only wish he had this spell!)

Chern's Exhalation (Nice way to damage near by wizards if you're a fix.)

Cone of Oblivion (Mordy would be crapping his pants when you unleash this bad boy)

Dark Lighting (Not only does this bad boy do serious upgrade lighting bolt damage, you cause spellcasters of any stripe to lose 1d6 spells!)

Deep Sleep (Better version of Sleep spell)

Dreadmantle (Make those pesky fighters not fight against you.)

Elemental Kiss (Fear the wrath of the elemental touched wizard!)

Essential Blade (If you want a spell that makes any player's weapon so darn useful it need only be +1 to overcome magic DR, this is the spell for you!)

Eyeburst (Just as nasty as the BoVD version.)

Foreaction (Nice way to increase your Init modifier)

Frost form (Ice cold and you show them some fun ways Auril might like you.)

Gaurak's Corpulance (Turn your enemies into bloated masses of useless flesh!)

Greater Bend Sounds (nice way to protect yourself from Sonic and language based attacks)

Gulaben's Excasty(sp) (Enchantment spell to keep others occupied.)

Gulibulity (Make them BELIEVE you always.)

Hammer and Anvil (Nice little toonish way to do damage. AND Gond will love you for it. ;) )

Healing Interdiction (Prevent that guy from using any and all healing power! Works nicely in combination with Sever from R&R 1)

Hold Stone (Prevent your guys from becoming statues)

Mesos' Containment (Nice way to stop other spellcasters.)

Mesos' Vengence (Nice way to stop arcane spellcasters AND burn them!)

Mindwrack (Stop them wizards in their tracks)

Shade Storm (Let the incoperal dead do your dirty work)

Speed the Years (Causes massive aging in seconds/minutes)

Touch of Madness (Make those with great wisdom fail. Or even just moderate wisdom. ;) )

Wrath of Thulkas (Cause beams of fire to shoot from you, as you focus the sun's power.)

Now there's some spells! ;)

bleedingedge

First Post
Playing a level 24 wiz in our epic game here's what I'd recommend:

If you want an utterly absurd combination that is guarenteed to make your GM hate you take Arcana Form, Duplicate, and Prorogate Death, all from Monty's BoEM. (what was he thinking) Arcana Form is a L9 that makes you non-corporeal and allows you to burn HP @ 5 hp / spell level when casting spells; instead of losing the spell from your head you lose the hp. Combined with Prorogate Death (L6) which keeps you from dieing from negative HP (for at least a while) and duplicate (L9) which gives you a copy of yourself (now you get 2 hp pools and 2 sets of actions to burn your hp 2x as fast ;) ). With this combination you will be a spellcasting machine and your gm will hate you. :p

Remember when using Arcana Form you will never cast any spell w/o burning hp to cast it, so you never have to choose the same spell twice when picking spells. I'd recommend you pick up a pearl of power 9 to recall the Arcana Form that you cast, just before it runs out you can rebuff using your hp to power additional castings. :)

Firebrand is useful as others have mentioned, Magma Burst from BoEM again is pretty neat (changes an area to lava, 20d6 / round while in the area), Mangle of Egregious Might (BoEM yet again), +4 LUCK bonus to stats/saves/AC/skill checks, Quintelemental Blast (BoEM, have you figured out yet Monty's stuff is over the top?), 15d6 damage, spell auto-picks the element that each target is least resistant to, Dragonsight (draconomicon, gives you absurd darkvision and blindsense distances).

The old (3.0) Simbul's sequencer spells are great (read too powerful) they have been totally nerfed in 3.5 and not worth it IMO, but if you can take the 3.0 ones have fun.

Lower Spell Resistance (dragononimcon) or the newer one whose name escapes me (in the planar handbook) are musts, will let you effectively ignore SR. Clerics can take these too, and it's useful to have more than one caster as you will have a giant bulls eye on your head when you start casting it if the target figures it out. (full round casting time)

Dimensional Anchor to nail down those pesky demons/devils/casters with teleport abilities.

Burning Bolt, I don't know what book it's in, I get it from Green Ronin's Pocket Grimoire Arcane. Like magic missile, but fire instead of force, each missle requires a ranged touch attack, but there is NO cap on the number of missles. Yes a level 1 spell will give your level 20 wiz 10 RTA's for 1d4+1 fire each.

There is a new Green Ronin book out whose name escapes me (about planetouched), I was just looking at a friend's copy this weekend, it has a bunch of spells in it. Look Bogg's XXX; there are four and three of the four are amazing (two do unnamed damage as I recall) and well worth taking.

Spells you will have that are very useful and should always be in your head:

Maze: The ultimate "go to your room" spell for fighting types.
Energy Drain: 2d4 negative levels hurts, and will lower saves making further magic easier

Mark of Death: another Monty spell (BoEM again) that will make you immune to death effects. High tech @L8 but lasts a long time

Magic Circle Against Evil: As written shuts off ALL enchantment/charm spells, although your GM may well only allow it vs. effects from evil casters since this is so powerful given it's level. If he does that take Mind blank and shut everything off anyway. :)

Bigby's grasping hand: Uses to-hit and grapple instead of save, making it a super reliable way to take out just about anybody (my L24 wiz has a +53 grapple check with this spell, can grapple giants easily).

Feats you will want:

Energy Sub (sonic), probably one more version for targets that start taking Energy Immunity. Acid is a good second choice.

Dragon Magazine ran some feats a while ago, about 18 months I think. I forget the exact issue. You want to find the Spellstrike feat, it allows you to cast spells where any time they do damage to a target the target has to make a DC(10 + caster level or 30 for you) balance check or fall prone. You need to use a 25gp gem as an additional component and the spell has a somatic component you cannot drop.

The sudden metamagic feats can be useful as you can apply them at casting time.

For magic items:

The biggest +INT item you can get

The biggest +CON item you can get (especially if you use Arcana Form)

A +5 INT book

As many rods of maximization as your GM will let you have

As many rods of quicken as your GM will let you have

A quiver of Ehlonna to hold all those metamagic rods, think of it as your golf bag :D

A few pearls of power to reset key spells

Vest of Restance +5

Stone of good luck (+1 luck bonus to saves is the biggie here)

Bracers of AC (if you have the arms and eqipment guide there is a blurb in there where the bracers can have armor effects on them, and can go up to +12 including AC and effects). Look through all the books for interesting effects, one I have is soulfire which makes you immune to death effects.

If you want to redo the character a bit taking 10 levels of either elemental savant or incantrix is a substantial boost over straight wizard. Elemental savant will give you some offensive abilities, but the real cookie is the immunities you get at level 10, immune to critical hits, flanking, poisons, stunning, and a few other things that escape me. Those immunities are very important at high levels. Incantrix will let you have all kinds of fun with metamagic, but you will need to invest in the metamagic feats.

Keep in mind you can use the various knowledge skills to figure out special abilities of monsters, always use this when fighting a monster you don't know. (and crank up those int skills) Use this to figure out their resitances to various magical effects and hit them at their weak points.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads