• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

224 page book on Drow yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraer

Explorer
I like drow, but no more than kuo-toa, and I dream of an alternate world where the kuo-toa became the fetish objects instead.

I'd buy this book if it was specific to the Realms or the World of Greyhawk, but why should I care about this out-of-context version of drow which will likely be ignored come 4th edition? Here the commercial imperative (appeal to as many people as possible) directly contradicts the artistic one (develop lasting lore with context and depth).

The Year of the Drow seems to renew itself about every year or two.

I'd say TSR-Greyhawk and Realms drow are closer to each other than to the originals. Although the Realms naming style does differ a little, it's not by more apostrophes or zs, though the former is true of Bob Salvatore's drow names which are a small minority of the total attested -- but a lot of Bob's Realms names are off-key.

I wonder if anyone has any idea how widespread the Drizzt-wannabe-PC thing really is.

megamania said:
and how many times do I have to say this- 1. Not imaginary and 2. You are just plain jealous of me. :D

PS Shes a hoot at halloween parties.

worthless.gif

The_Old_one

First Post
I've always had a soft spot for Drow in D&D, despite the occasional player who sees them as angst filled renegades.

My drow are more like the Skaven in Warhammer. People believe they're out there, but nobody really knows how many there are, or how dangerous they truly are...

Occasionally adventurers or soldiers tell tales of entire villages found empty, meals still on tables and fires still burning.

Border keeps are found draped in cobwebs and littered with poisoned corpses of soldiers who were once renowned for being the elite of the kingdom.

The night sky is lit by the roaring flames from the nearby Elven settlement in the woods.

And each time the people huddle closer together in their homes and taverns, refusing to speak the word that comes to their tongues, for fear that they might be heard by the enemy that lurks out there...and all the while they tell themselves that the rumours of shadowy creatures lurking beneath their feet are just the fanciful imagination of drunken bards. The very possibility that something utterly evil dwells out there, something that was once the kin of the envied and respected Elven folk is ridiculous they say, all the while trying to convince themselves that they don't believe.

That's why I like Drow...although I'm still not sure I need yet another book on them :D

frog

Explorer
There is only one way I would buy this...if it contained within its covers an updated D1, D2, or D3. I'd pay lots of $$$ for one of those.

frog

I'm into fey in a big way at the moment, having been inspired by the Seelie and Unseelie Fey templates in Dragon Compendium (and the Merry Gentry novels :eek: )

I ordered Fey Magic (by Mongoose), and it arrived today. I had a quick look at it lunchtime. So far, it seems quite good.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=33&qsSeries=Encyclopaedia

I have Draconomicon, Libris Mortis and Lords of Madness, and I was confidently expecting to buy the next one in the series. Until I found out it was going to be dedicated to a single, evil sub-race, which has a level adjustment ....

I want a book on fey from WotC!

smootrk

First Post
I like Drow, and they make great antagonists. I like them viciously evil, depraved, etc., not the renegade good kind. The renegade good drow is really not overdone in print (basically just a couple of characters); it is the players that want to emulate that, which is overdone.

That being said, I support any character concept that a player wants to play in the game, and I happily aid them to create such characters.... anything to promote interest and play. Who am I to stifle others' preferences, just because I might be 'over' the good drow syndrome.

Bring on the Drow badness!

Davelozzi

Explorer
frog said:
There is only one way I would buy this...if it contained within its covers an updated D1, D2, or D3. I'd pay lots of $$$ for one of those.

frog

My guess is that there probably is not an update to any of these in there, but the book does come out a month after Expedition to the Demonweb Pits so it will be interesting to see if there are any tie-ins.

Valesin

First Post
I think people are forgetting that the release date is May 2007. The possibility that the page count will change from 224 to 160 in that time is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads