• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2400 & 24XX: a Beautiful, Three-Page, Micro RPG

Just realized that the art is by Beeple. As in Beeple, the artist who sold an NFT for $69M last year...

So is Beeple's posted artwork all under Creative Commons?

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
So is Beeple's posted artwork all under Creative Commons?
Some of his work, prior to a specific year is Creative Commons to my understanding. The creator of 24XX wrote en email to Beeple to ask for permission and Beeple said something along the lines of "naughty word big companies, but if you or other indies want to use the pictures, that's all cool." If you dig around in the FAQ on itch.io or the gamepage you can find info about it.

Edit: Here is a link to the page. There's a link to a picture of an email in it.
Edit2: Thank you to whoever edited out my naughty word, that was a bad slip on my part.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
I absolutely love the FKR stuff I've seen. You can't beat hyper-light games where "roll 2d6 opposed, higher roll wins" is the sum total of the rules. Stop worrying about the rules and get on with playing the game.
That exact statement is worth contemplating as an intriguing paradox, in light of how "game" is normally defined.

Well, it's an FKR game so things like common sense and genre appropriateness are assumed limits rather than word count being wasted explaining things like why a normal human standing on the earth holding up a finger and pretending its a gun cannot shoot the moon out of the sky.
Makes me wonder what your take might be on the purposes of rules?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That exact statement is worth contemplating as an intriguing paradox, in light of how "game" is normally defined.
We’re discussing games in the context of RPGs, not hockey or catch. Win is in reference to winning a contested action. We both dive for the same bomb detonator. Who gets it? Roll 2d6, higher roll wins.
Makes me wonder what your take might be on the purposes of rules?
There are two categories of rules. Mechanics…your typical what dice to use, modifiers to rolls, when to roll, etc. And world rules…your typical here be dragons, there be cyborgs, real-world physics except this stuff, faux-medieval, etc.

Mechanics exist to resolve conflicts, contest, etc where the outcome is not obvious from the fiction. To provide randomizers when needed. To prevent our games of make believe from devolving into schoolyard cops-and-robbers. “I shot you!” “No you didn’t!”

World rules exist to provide a common frame of reference for the players. So they know what to expect and have a sense of genre and what’s appropriate in this game and what is not.

Mechanics can be as simple as “when in doubt about the outcome, roll opposed 2d6, higher roll wins.” World rules can be as simple as “we’re playing Indiana Jones.”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads