• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

25mm Sniper Rifle

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Instead of just keep posting the new version lower and lower in the thread, I will just slap the new version up here.

For those who haven't check the link out yet, it is still here.

Here is the new version.

How is this now? I also wrote up the BORS sight and on handling the recoil of the weapon.

Barrett, 25mm Sniper Rifle
o Damage- 4d8
o Critical- 20 Crit.
o Type- Ballistic
o Range Inc- 120 ft.
o Rate of Fire- Single
o Magazine- 5 box
o Size- Huge
o Weight- 46 lb.
o Purchase DC 26+
o Restriction- Illegal (+5)
o 25mm (5) Purchase DC- 10+

Barrett Optical Ranging Sighting System
This piece of equipment, which is standard on the XM109, is a sophisticated telescopic sight that can easily determine range, windage, air pressure, tempature, and a whole other list of variables to help increase the accuracy of the first few shots.

o Purchase DC- To acquire this sight device by itself requires a Wealth check with a DC of 10, with the Illegal restriction (+5).
o Weight- 1 lb.
o Mechanics- When the shooter takes a Full-Round action to fire a single shot, he gains a +4 equipment bonus to the attack. This bonus is from the BORS sight calculating the variables in long-range shooting.

Handling Recoil
With such a large caliber, the recoil from the weapon is going to be massive. So each time the rifle is fired, a Strength check (DC 15) is required. With a success, the shooter has handled the recoil well and can fire the next round. If unsuccessful, the shooter cannot fire until they spend a Standard action to readjust the rifle.
There are certain situations that will modifiy the DC of the Strength check. If the person firing the weapon isn't proficient in the weapon, they apply the -4 Nonproficient penalty to their check.
Depending on the shooter's firing position; the best possible posistion is prone (lying down) and provides no penalty to the check. Sitting or kneeling provides a -2 penalty and standing provides a -4 penalty.
If the weapon isn't braced or using a bipod, the DC is increased by +4.

As for the HE ammo. It seems to imply that the thing uses them, but there is no statement actually stating it does.

Last edited:

ragboy

Explorer
Anime Kidd said:
Anyone wanna take a crack at statting this thing? It is a 25mm sniper rifle designed by the same company that made the .50 caliber M82A1.

Here is what I think what it would be...

Barrett, 25mm Sniper Rifle
o Damage- 4d6 or 3d10
I'd disagree that this weapon should only be a little more effective than a .50. They're using HE rounds and I know you can take out a small PC, light truck or less with a single shot (based on the Bradley's capabilities).

(Not sure if the Bradley's main gun has been codified d20, as I only have the SRD in front of me at the moment...but you might mirror that, with range penalties due to lack of a fire control system).

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m2.htm

I'd also look at adding some splash/explosive damage, as well, based on this:

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/default.asp?target=HTWEAP.HTM

The rounds are HE instead of armor piercing, like the .50.

Anime Kidd said:
o Critical- 20 Crit.
I'd increase this range as well. If you've ever seen a person actually get hit by a Bradley's main gun you'd understand. If you hit them in the hand, their arm and most of their torso comes off. But, I guess this is a game and hit points aren't necessarily hits...

Anime Kidd said:
o Type- Ballistic
o Range Inc- 120 ft.
This looks like an accessory:

"To complement this “rifle” is a computerized sight called the BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging Sighting System). BORS is specifically designed for long-range shooting at 1,000 meters and longer distances, measuring and compensating for air pressure, temperature, and the angle of the weapon in relation to the target."

But if not, you should definitely increase that range increment.

Anime Kidd said:
o Rate of Fire- Single
Due to the recoil, you may add rate of fire rules at 1 shot every two rounds. Not sure what the d20 rules are concerning this...

Last edited:

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I got the impression that the 25mm isn't a full-length round, but was shortened. Look at the pic. Those rounds are rather squat (big round, not much powder) when compared to how a .50 looks. This is the reason why I kept the range and crit. as is, and the damage only slightly better. I don't want to make this thing the next BFG on the block.

As for HE rounds, it didn't mention them. I assume you are referring to the Bradley's 25mm, correct?

For the BORS sight, I would just make that an integrated telescopic sight. As for how it would calculate all the variables for range, wind, etc. This could be the only real thing that counts for a better Range Increment then the Fifty.

The "1-shot per 2 rounds" Rate of Fire could be a Strength check? After each shot, you check to see if you can handle the recoil or lose a round to recover. If successful, you can make a new attack the next round and there would be a oenalty for non-being proficient in the weapon [already in place], the firing position, and if the weapon is braced or not [using a bipod, etc].

And seeing how this thing is a pretty big caliber, shouldn't be better suited towards being a direct-fire Heavy Weapon? I mean, I've seen the definition of "Small Arms" as a weapon that can be used and fired by a single person and has a caliber of 20mm or less. While the 25mm rifle can be used and fired by one man, it breaks the 20mm-or-under rule.

ChrisWaller

First Post
Damage ranges in D20 Modern are generally based on the caliber of the weapon. The Bushwacker (the 25mm cannon on the Bradley) is listed as doing 4d12, so by rights so should this monster.
If you want to take barrel length into account, I'd say 4d8.

Last edited:

Anime Kidd

Explorer
But as I said earlier, I believe the cartridge, while being 25mm in caliber, isn't quite as long as a normal cartridge of the same type, which is why I have it listed as is. (Still not sure if 4d6 would be better then 3d10)

Also, would you have your players running around with this thing? 4D12 is a lot of firepower, doing 26 on average; while 3d10 does about 16-17. Though 4d8 sounds reasonable, but still up there (avg. of 18).

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I don't know if you have looked at the d20 Modern Weapons Locker yet, but they have some 20mm antimateriel rifles.

Weapon: Mechem NTW-20 (South African 20mm)
Damage:4d8
Critical:20
Damage Type: Ballistic
Range Inc: 110 ft.
RoF: single
Magazine: 1 int.
Size: Huge
Weight: 57 lbs.
Purchase DC: 24
Restriction: Mil (+3)

Weapon: RT20 (Croatian 20mm)
Damage:4d8
Critical:20
Damage Type: Ballistic
Range Inc: 90 ft.
RoF: single
Magazine: 1 int.
Size: Huge
Weight: 37 lbs.
Purchase DC: 24
Restriction: Mil (+3)

You might use these for comparison.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I don't have Weapons Locker, but might need to check the thing out. I've flipped through it once, but don't remember much of it. Whats in the thing, gun-wise? Like which types of firearms covered (rifles, pistols, submachineguns, etc)?

Compared to what you posted and what I got up there, it doesn't seem to far off then I thought. The only real difference is the damage and the higher purchase DCs, but those account for it being a design in development.

Remove ads