• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2E monsters that haven’t been converted

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
2E monsters that haven’t been converted

I need to get a list together of 2E monsters that haven’t been converted yet, as that is one hole in the Creature Catalog “request line” that has been getting stopped up with more and more requests. ;)

Now, before you get excited and say, “b..b..b..but, there are hundreds!!!” there are some criteria. We already have threads devoted to discussing a number of sources creatures may come from, so an overwhelming majority of 2E monsters are already covered. There are, however, probably at least a few dozen or more that I need to make myself aware of.

To help you understand what I mean, ones that I would like to see include creatures that were not featured in:

Dragon or Dungeon Magazine
Monstrous Compendiums or Annuals
Any specific Campaign Setting product (Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, etc)…
Any 1st edition or older edition product
Any 3rd edition or 3.5 product

See, so that cuts out the vast majority of them. What I want to know about were creatures from generic 2E boxed sets, hardcovers, accessories and modules. For example, Night Below and Monstrous Arcana come to mind. Also, I think the “Return to X old module” series, and the Rod of Seven Parts set, and other things like that. And the Historical Reference series… well, you get where I’m coming from right? ;)

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
Aww... way to cut out all the interesting monsters. The campaign settings were where it was at in 2nd ed. I was just looking at the Mystara MC and thinking what a waste stuff like Tome of Horrors was, converting the Flail Snail and Wolf-in-sheep's-clothing instead of those cool monsters.

Oh, and you might want to take a look at your sig - the link to "update the creature catalog" is one of the old Cyberstreet links instead of one of the enworld.org ones.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you got me all wrong... the ones i'm not interested in are the ones i already know about - why tread the same ground twice? :)

it's the rest of them i'm looking to find out about.

ares71

First Post
Are you wanting to know what sources you should look at?

For example, Monster Mythology had a bunch of Demigods and avatar stats. Of Ships and the Sea had some mundane marine creatures.

On the 7 Historical Reference Books:
Vikings: Just gave alternate names to existing monsters (ex for Linworm use Red Dragon stats, except no wings). A bunch of alternate names
Charlemagnes' Paladins: Same thing
Celts: Boobrie, Fachan, Phouka, Water Horse, Water Leaper
Mighty Fortress: None
Glory of Rome: Caladrius
Age of Heroes: Scylla
Crusades: None refers to Al-Qadim Monster compendium

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yes, that's what i was looking for. :)

Dragon Mountain also comes to mind as a good example.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The problem is that a lot of the monsters from those boxed sets and adventures tend to wind up in Annuals or someplace like that.

That said, what about the Visitant (I think that was its name, but I could be wrong) from Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium vol. II?

weiknarf

Explorer
It might also be worthwhile to convert the Sidhe from the Celts book and the Trollborn from the Vikings book.

Also,

Shaman (TSR 9507)

Ancestors
Bloodspirit
Bogeyman, Greater
Bogeyman, Lesser
Fenette
Fetish Spirit
Ghost Pack
Great Spirit
Guardian Spirit
Hero Spirit
Nemesis Spirit
Rogue Hero
Sith
Spirits, Minor
Strigloi
Totem Spirit

weiknarf

Explorer
Chronomancer (TSR 9506)

Chronovoid
Temporal Dog
Temporal Glider
Temporal Stalker
Tether Beast
Time Dimensionals (Didn't these end up in a Monstrous Annual?)
Vortex Spider

Staffan

Legend
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Weren't there also a few monsters in that three part mini-campaign setting, Jokandar, or something? The one divided between necromancers and barbarians?
Not that I recall, no. Monsters in general were pretty de-emphasized in Jakandor.

Remove ads