• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2H Swordmage Warding

On Puget Sound

First Post
I agree, this is an exploit that takes advantage of the turn-based nature of D&D, and should be disallowed by the GM.

My genasi swordmage pulls up his aegis by hooking three strands of wind on his fingers and swirling them into a shield; clearly once he's done this, that hand is busy.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
My DM considers getting a weapon ready to swing "drawing" or "readying" the weapon. He lets us "drop" a 2-handed weapon into just one hand as a free action, but makes it take a minor action to 2-hand again.

Of course, this only helps with a versatile weapon, since he's in the camp that you can't wield a 2-handed weapon in just 1 hand.

Mirtek

Hero
Specifically I'm talking about players circumventing the rules of Swordmage Warding by wielding a 2H weapon when they attack and then saying, "Free action, let one hand off the weapon," to then get the full +3 benefit.

This does not work. As soon as you let one hand off the weapon, you are no longer wielding the two handed weapon but holding the two handed weapon. The warding class feature requires to wield a blade, not merely to hold a blade. So in this case you would get no warding bonus at all, not +3 not even +1 the feature will be totally deactivated the moment you let one hand off.

What does worl is attacking with a versatile weapon being wield with both hands for the extra +1 to damage and then letting one hand off after the attack for the full +3 warding bonus. This is because you can still wield a versatile weapon with only one hand.

People may argue that the versatile trick is against RAI, but it's currently allowed by RAW nonetheless

Mentat55

First Post
My genasi swordmage pulls up his aegis by hooking three strands of wind on his fingers and swirling them into a shield; clearly once he's done this, that hand is busy.

This, sir, is awesome. I know this is off-topic, but I love the tidbits like this that crop up all the time on these boards.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

I am going to make a serious habit of awarding experience points for cool flavor that gets injected.

jbear

First Post
I imagine the Swordmage's 'empty hand' being very active, creating his/her magical shield.

Although I would happily allow my player to switch to 2-handed with his bastard sword as a free action, and even take his hand back off as another free action.

But (regardless of the RAW interpretation), I would rule that in doing so he has released the arcane forces that hold his shield together and he cannot regather them until the start of his next turn.

abeattie

First Post
No it isn't. Rules lawyers commonly overlook the word MAINTAIN in the description or try to argue around it.

Now, to be fair, a rules lawyer wouldn't skip a term -- that would be a cheater. A rules lawyer would empty the term of meaning, as in "where is the definition of maintain," or, "yes, I am maintaining that field whether I use one hand or two -- it's the bonus that is in question, and that is defined in the next sentence."

Why not just simplify the question by denying the swordmage a free action to grab the blade as a reaction -- that would eliminate all useful OAs, and any interrupts that have the weapon keyword. Free actions take place when allowed and where allowed by the DM -- its up to you to grant or deny them and set the timing.

"You watch the monster charge past you and hit your leader, as you wrap your hand around your full blade and stand there with you thumb up your butt."

abel_marko

First Post
Unfortunately I don't think this argument works because technically, they are still wielding it, because you can wield an implement one handed, and the two-hander is an implement for the swordmage.

There is no rule that allows a two-handed heavy blade to be wielded one-handed as an implement. As a DM, you are free to infer such a rule from the *specific* rule that allows staves to be wielded one-handed (and not used as weapons if so wielded), but that would be a ruling by the DM, not a printed rule.

As printed, Versatile weapons can be used to `switch-hit', for an extra +1 damage or +2 defense. There are a lot of potential between-turn uses for that choice in the swordmage, leaving room for a lot of tactical choices, which is all the better, IMO (and I don't play a swordmage). I recommend it, for players and DMs both; you won't find the sometimes +1 damage to be game-breaking by any stretch.

Swordmages who want to use a Fullblade or a Glaive (for reach) just have to live with having either a lower defense or no weapon/implement available. Again, more choices. If you have a player interested in these sort of choices and able to balance the math at the table, point them at (or drop into a treasure bundle) a Dynamic weapon of the appropriate level.

Mirtek

Hero
No it isn't. Rules lawyers commonly overlook the word MAINTAIN in the description or try to argue around it.
Actually the word "maintain" has no bearing for the versatile trick as the field is constandly maintened throughout the change of hands. Just it's intensity varies, dropping to +1 while making use of the +1 damag bonus for two-handed grip and increasing again to +3 once you again free your second hand. Where do you see a problem with the word maintain?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads