• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2nd ed SRD? Or... explanation needed.

Scratched_back

First Post
Hey guys,

I've got a friend starting up a 2nd ed game but he wants to use characters from a 3.5 game we were all recently involved in. I no longer own any 2nd ed books and I'm struggling to remember the rules for multi-classing (or duel-classing).

Basically, my 3.5 character was a 12th level Sun Elf Fighter/Mage/Eldritch Knight, he was fairly high on the power-scale, but not broken. I'm wondering to best to convert him back to 2nd edition whilst keeping the skeleton of the character the same.

Multi-classing and duel-classing seemed to be fairly limited compared to 3.5 (then again, the whole system was) so if anybody could give me a few pointers or can show me anywhere that I can refresh my memory, it'd be appreciated.

Cheers!

Mr Jack

First Post
Er..... good luck.

Seriously, you will find no direct comparison. I'd guess you'd be something like fighter-11, wizard-10 and you may find a broken kit to use in the complete book of broken elves.

Scratched_back

First Post
Mr Jack said:
Er..... good luck.

Seriously, you will find no direct comparison. I'd guess you'd be something like fighter-11, wizard-10 and you may find a broken kit to use in the complete book of broken elves.

Y'see, this is where my understanding of the 2nd ed system falls down, as far as duel-classing goes. So I'd have all the attributes of an Fighter-11 AND a Wizard-10? What are the penalties for that? Otherwise would every PC multiclass?

:\

Geoff Watson

First Post
That's multiclassing, only humans can dual-class, which is similar.

There is no major downside for multiclassing, so nearly everyone did so.

What class combinations were available depended on race.

For your character, a multi-classed fighter/magic-user elf would be the 1e/2e equivalent.
You take the average for hit points, use the better attack bonus and saves.
The only downside is that you split XP between the two classes; this isn't a big deal due to the doubling XP requirements, you'll only be one level behind a single-class character.

Geoff.

Mr Jack

First Post
Scratched_back said:
Y'see, this is where my understanding of the 2nd ed system falls down, as far as duel-classing goes. So I'd have all the attributes of an Fighter-11 AND a Wizard-10? What are the penalties for that? Otherwise would every PC multiclass?

You get the better of the attributes for both, IIRC.

Yes, most PCs multiclass. Dual-classing is something different; it's kind of insane and no-one I knew ever did 'cos, you know it's insane.

Bront

The man with the probe
Multi-classing: You split HP by number of classes, so a Fighter/Wizard gets d10/2 for fighter levels, and d4/4 for wizard levels, and the Con bonus is devided accordingly as well (Round up and then down for the same level of each class). You cut XP by the number of classes evenly to see what level you are. You get the best THACO, and the Best Save between either class (Probably fighter for all but spells). Also, you can't go past your class level limit for you race.

Bront

The man with the probe
Mr Jack said:
You get the better of the attributes for both, IIRC.

Yes, most PCs multiclass. Dual-classing is something different; it's kind of insane and no-one I knew ever did 'cos, you know it's insane.
Dual-Classing was cool, but the execution sucked.

irdeggman

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
For your character, a multi-classed fighter/magic-user elf would be the 1e/2e equivalent.
You take the average for hit points, use the better attack bonus and saves.
The only downside is that you split XP between the two classes; this isn't a big deal due to the doubling XP requirements, you'll only be one level behind a single-class character.

Geoff.

Actually the xp conversion will really get cmplex.

In 2nd ed every class had its own progression table.

Thieves had the quickest progression, wizards (i.e., magic users) had the most complex.

IIRC the MU table started really high (i.e., a ot of xp required to progress levels) then become really small and then went back to being really high again.

irdeggman

First Post
You also suffer the limitations of all classes.

A MU can't cast spells in armor.

A priest loses all class abilities if wearing forbidden armor or using forbidden weapons. Specialty priests were extremely common/popular especially towards the end of 2nd ed and each one had a whole different set of spells (remember major and minor spheres?) they had different allowed weapons and armor and different granted abilities.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to be using a 2nd ed game - don't attempt to convert your 3.x character (it will never work). Instead create a new character that captures the "feel" and concept of your 3.x character. It is really the only way you can come close to having the character you had originally envisioned.

Bront

The man with the probe
irdeggman said:
Actually the xp conversion will really get cmplex.

In 2nd ed every class had its own progression table.

Thieves had the quickest progression, wizards (i.e., magic users) had the most complex.

IIRC the MU table started really high (i.e., a ot of xp required to progress levels) then become really small and then went back to being really high again.
Yes, Thieves were always ahead, but there's a stretch between 5th and 9th were Wizards (Magic Users) speed up and pass the other classes before slowing down again. Clerics are fairly quick as well, but they're pretty consistant, as are fighters. Rangers and Paladins get kinda screwed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads