3,000 DriveThruRPG orders

Voadam

Legend
So last night I bought a Hillfolk RPG bundle on Bundle of Holding and looking over my account at DriveThruRPG.com I noticed this put me at exactly 3,000 orders on the site. Even with a ton of orders of free PDFs and having bought most bundle of holding bundles for a number of years (which means new DT orders everytime those offers are revived) that is a ridiculous number that calls for a little introspection.

RPGs are my big hobby and I have given myself a monthly RPG budget for years (and that grew as my career advanced), most spent on PDFs since they became an RPG commercial thing. I often get bundles and things that I am interested in when I see them on sale. I have a huge RPG reference library, more stuff than I will ever read, much less use and play but stuff I am interested in that is available as resources if I want. I passed that point long ago but there are still things I have an interest in getting and I continue to want to do so. It is clearly a want situation and not a need for support of my RPG hobby activities.

I started with WotC's store when AD&D PDFs were $3 each and WotC had a large number of really good big free ones. I was an early adopter on rpgnow.com with the d20 boom and saw it grow and come to dominate the new market as a big centralized hub even as many companies made their own individual online stores as well. I was disappointed when drivethru and rpgnow merged as creators got less per sale as the PDF market became closer to a monopoly and they dropped rpgnow's promise of always being able to download purchased stuff as was seen when WotC in the 4e era pulled their PDFs both from sale and from new downloads of prior purchased PDFs.

I really like drivethru's big catalog, great customer service, and frequent good deals. I have accounts and a number of purchases from paizo and itch.io and humble bundle and also with individual company stores (Kobold, Frog God, etc.) and in the past things like ENWorld's store and such that are no longer around, but by far the biggest number have been with drivethru.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
looking over my account at DriveThruRPG.com I noticed this put me at exactly 3,000 orders on the site. [...] that is a ridiculous number that calls for a little introspection.
Well, if you have that many orders then I'd say it's definitely time to do some personal reevaluating...

DTRPG-orders.jpg

...actually, you know what? It's all good. Carry on.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Nope. There is no 3000, or 4300... There's only 20.

It's Goblin Math - 20 is the highest number that exists, because that's how high humanoids can count... :p
No matter how many things you have, you can never have more than 20 things.

Problem solved.

(And, as they say in the miniatures hobby... There's no such thing as "too much stuff", just "not enough storage".)

Longspeak

Adventurer
I resisted electronic for a long time past when others started adopting it. The reasons are stupid now. But the point is I've only really been doing electronic for about 10 years, and I still prefer paper when I can.

Aw, jeez.png

Aw, jeez...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I don't have that many DriveThruRPG orders BUT if you include files in my NAS that predate DriveThru (so early RPGNow, Forge Bookshelf, etc) and free press stuff, I'm a few downloads shy of 6000 (5598, to be precise).

Remove ads