• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] 5-Foot Step Rules Expanded

Jhyrryl

First Post
Here's a change I really like:
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement.
The example that really makes the implications stand out is:
...you could cast fireball (a standard action), take a 5-foot step through an open door, then close the door (a move action).
Whee!

Jhyrryl

First Post
Where does it say that you can? :)

3.0 PHB page 130:

If you do something that requires a full round action, such as attacking more than once, you can only take a 5-foot step.

Additionally, the 3.0 PHB glossary says:

Usually (but not always), a 5-foot step is permitted in conjunction with a full-round action and may be taken at any point in the round. Most partial actions also permit a 5-foot step.

I can't find any definition or example that permits a 5-foot step in a case where the character takes a full round of actions that isn't defined as a "full-round action."

Maybe this was always the intent and this isn't new, but it's certainly a clarification that didn't exist previously.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
Ah. Didn't know it didn't work like that in 3.0

Where does it state (in 3.0) that you can't take a 5-foot step AND make a MEA? (SOrry if i've missed the obvious)
The rules didn't state that anywhere; unfortunately, they also didn't clearly state the opposite. The rule has been interpreted both ways, depending on the DM. (Of course, my interpretation is the correct one, and the people who disagree are clearly lacking in reading comprehension skills. ;))

3.5 unambiguously illustrates the intent, which should prevent the argument from showing up ever again.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Jhyrryl said:
Where does it say that you can? :)

3.0 PHB page 130:

Additionally, the 3.0 PHB glossary says:

I can't find any definition or example that permits a 5-foot step in a case where the character takes a full round of actions that isn't defined as a "full-round action."

Maybe this was always the intent and this isn't new, but it's certainly a clarification that didn't exist previously.

Check out the text for "Move Equivalent Action" in the combat section of the 3.0 PHB.

This isn't a change, just a clarification. (Clearly stating the rule in one sentence, instead of half stating it in 3 different parts of the book.)

Jhyrryl

First Post
Huh, check that out. I wonder how many times I could have killed players in the past couple years if I'd known that. :)

Still, it's nice to have the formal definition out there.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It was always possible.

a round = a move plus an action.

Action - cast a spell
5-ft-ftep
move - close the door

However, does it say you'd avoid the fireball, or not? I'm curious to know the implication, because I think not - you cast the 'ball, it explodes, THEN you step and close.

DWARF

First Post
Okay, but by this definition, could you move 30 feet up to an orc, whack it on the head, then move back from him 5 feet (yes, you'd provoke an AoO). I mean, if you can do a Move-equivalent action and a 5 foot step, why not a Move and a 5-foot step?

Remove ads