• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Alternate form / change shape question

Loonook

First Post
The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).

It loses extraordinary abilities NOT given by a class benefit. So in this case it would keep its rage.

Short answer: No, no loss of rage.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I'm completely unclear on how someone could have the class without having class levels.

I'm equally unclear on how someone could have class levels without having the class.

But since the original clip referred to the Barbarian class feature explicitly, I'm unclear on how you were unclear on any of this.

Is that clear?

scott2978

First Post
A question I always wonder is who actually uses the ridiculous "polymorph subschool" introduced in one of the supllements. All.subsequent books made use of it, which thankfully wasn't many. There was something in the polymorph subschool, that replaced alternate form rules, that made your class features go away while you were in another form.... so, my familiar becomes a normal stupid animal while I'm in alternate form, I lose my animal companion, can't cast spells, can't use sneak attacks, can't turn undead.... etc. The stupidest rule ever published? A firm candidate IMHO.

Zeppo

Explorer
Whoa, take it easy, man. :)

As I'm not a native speaker, I can't afford to make too many assumptions. Yes, I strongly suspected that barbarians do get to keep their rage, but since I felt the wording of the passage was a bit awkward (giving a long list of things you don't get to keep and then just tagging a "such as" example to the tail end of the sentence), I tried to come up with an explanation to the contrary, just in case.

Anyway, thanks! Problem solved.

Remove ads