• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5 AoW] Fights in the Library of Last Resort

Wolfwood2

Explorer
So this is a post about the latest session of the Age of Worms campaign I am playing in. Read no further those who are still trying to avoid AoW spoilers.

Whoa! Last Friday the DM called the Library "the most dangerous area you guys have been in yet", and he wasn't talking jive. After messing about a little on the island holding the portal, we arrived at the "Library" (doesn't look like you'd expect a library to look) and got the quest spiel from our hosts.

Now I might have expected that things would be dangerous, given that our rival adventuring party is led by a guy with the Hand of Vecna. Still, when we set out on a quest for the belt, I didn't realize it was going to be a freaking Titan we were dealing with.

We managed to negotiate with him at first, and the party Artificer confidently proclaimed he could free the Titan by magicking the portal that got him there in the first place. (The DM said it wouldn't have worked, but we were not to know that.) So we set out on the day-long walk back to the portal, the cleric not having a convenient second wind walk spell for use on the Titan.

Along the way an advanced Gorillion turned up as a "random encounter". A couple of the PCs were revved up after the fight, and wanted to take the Titan while our buffs were up. The party cleric wanted to see if her Dismissal spell would let him escape and convinced the titan to let her try it. It didn't work, and he got mad and combat started.

I'm pretty sure we would all have died if my Paladin weren't cheesed all to heck and back with cherry picked Spell Compendium spells and mounted combat feats. I was able to start off with a ride-by, smite, full power attack with 'Find the gap' already up from the Gorillion fight and using Rhino's Rush (pure paladin cheese) to do something like 230 (minus DR) points of damage.

That left us feeling pretty confident, but then the titan got to go. He used a quickened Chain Lightning on the rest of the party and a Bigby's Crushing Hand to neutralize my paladin. Ouch! Luckily for us, the party wizard was able to disrupt the Hand with a Disintegrate spell and my paladin completed a second Smite, full power attack, charge to end the fight.

Still, it was close. The DM told us that if the titan had won initiative, he would have put my pallie in a Maze instead, and that would have been all she wrote. I don't think that anybody else could hit the thing or beat its saves, consistently enough to win. We were only a level 15 party.

Maybe we should try harder for non-combat solutions to the other three quests.

Remove ads