• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Called Shots - Hows it work?

LoPaC

First Post
Ok, for all ya'll that was playing 2nd edition, the attack option of calling a shot was a focus of rules on page 82 of the DMG. Now, I haven't found any info in 3/3.5 ed. about them, as what the rules might be for calling a shot, penlties and what not.

Can anyone tell me where these rules might be at, or even better, what they are, since I'm pretty sure I dont have the book that would cover them? :\

Darklone

Many non core books have such mechanisms... I don't like most of them cause they screw the hitpoint mechanics... but well.

One example I know pretty well is from the Kalamar books (PIMP!), it's a feat called targeted attack that allows you to convert critical hits into normal hits that injure a body part as by the variant DMG 3.5 rules...

Another mechanic was in the Quint Fighter books.

reanjr

First Post
LoPaC said:
Ok, for all ya'll that was playing 2nd edition, the attack option of calling a shot was a focus of rules on page 82 of the DMG. Now, I haven't found any info in 3/3.5 ed. about them, as what the rules might be for calling a shot, penlties and what not.

Can anyone tell me where these rules might be at, or even better, what they are, since I'm pretty sure I dont have the book that would cover them? :\

Easiest thing to do is determine the size of the target (for instance on a Medium creature, the torso would be Small, the Legs Tiny, the Head or arms Diminutive, the eyes Fine) and apply the size modifier. Throw in your standard -2 penalty (DMG indicates that when in doubt apply a +/-2 to a roll for some unknown modifer) and you're good to go.

The effect can be left up to you. I actually have a full system worked out. Primarily it's based on Fort saves and bad effects happening (knocked unconscious for head, blinded for eyes, drop weapon for arms/hands, speed penalty for legs, stunned for torso). It's a little more complicated than that, but it's the gist of it.

[edit] Oh, if you want to get rough, you could allow a called shot to the heart, for instance. It would be Diminutive (+4 AC), have Cover (+8 AC [see the optional rules for improved cover]) from the sternum and 100% concealment (50% miss chance). On a failed Fort save (say DC 15), the target dies. Only works with piercing weapons.

Just an example of how the rules are pretty flexible and do not need to have specific called shot rules. When in doubt apply a -2 penalty to something (like attacking when an arm gets hit).

Last edited:

No official "called shots" rules in 3.0/3.5 (for lots of good reasons ...), but you're in firm house rule territory, and there are probably 3rd party d20 products with such rules -- Quintessential Fighter, perhaps?

argo

First Post
Hate to be a killjoy but no discussion of called shots would be complete without this link to Sean K Reynolds' rant on the subject (FYI he is one of the 3e designers).

If, after reading that, you still think called shots are a good idea then Hong has some good rules on his website

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I remember this coming up when running Of Sound Mind.

The PC's had entered the mines where the large Dragon golem was and it animated due to its eye crystals. So quite naturally they started shooting called shots at the eyes. On the fly I had to say that hitting one could only be done on a confirmed critical and then without the bonus damage. But with damage to the crystal eye instead. They were buried anyways :)

Darklone

Olgar Shiverstone said:
No official "called shots" rules in 3.0/3.5 (for lots of good reasons ...), but you're in firm house rule territory, and there are probably 3rd party d20 products with such rules -- Quintessential Fighter, perhaps?
Forgot something "official". Kalamar Villain Design Handbook has some called shot mechanisms... from Disembowel to Decapitate. I suggest to take a look at the 3.5 conversions.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I think there's a feat somewhere they called called shot. It's just power attack for ranged weapons, basically.

Personally, I don't like called shots, as the HP system of D&D is abstract. If we introduce called shots, we have to intruduce crit charts, hit zones etc (or it's a half-baked approach). The above-mentioned variant works well and in accordance to D&D's wound treatment, though.

Stormrunner

Explorer
D&D's system of BAB/AC/hp is abstract enough that "called shots" don't really fit well. If you introduce the targeting of specific body parts, then you have to worry about "Does this helm have a full-face visor or just a noseguard?", "Does my chain shirt cover my arms to the wrists or only to the elbows?", "What are the rules for being blinded in one eye but not both?", "Does an arrow through the hand prevent the casting of spells with a Somatic component?", and many, many other cans of worms.
The closest thing to "called shots" in the core rules are the various "precision" attacks - the rogue's sneak attack, the assassin's death attack, and the "precision damage" of the duellist and Order Of The Bow Initiate.

dekrass

Explorer
I just got Torn Asunder from Bastion Press the other day. It covers called shots and criticals quite well. I'm kind of reminded of the 2e Combat & Tactics book, only balanced. It helps keep called shots from being too good by stating that you have to focus and provoke an AoO, and it's an standard action not part of a full attack. If you hit you give the target penalties to using whatever part you hit. It's a good book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads