• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Clerics - Mass Cure?

robaustin

First Post
Still waiting on my books (on order) but I am curious...

The update docs say they will get "mass versions of cure and inflict spells that can be cast spontaneously." Can someone with the books detail what this entails? Thanks!

--*Rob

hong

WotC's bitch
Mass cure light wounds is a 5th level cleric spell that's like CLW, but affects up to 1 creature/level, and with a cap of +25 points healed.

Mass cure moderate wounds is 6th level.

Mass cure serious wounds is 7th level.

Mass cure crit wounds is 8th level.

Since these spells have the word "cure" in their names, they can be spontaneously cast in place of a prepared spell, just like regular C[L/M/S/C]W.

Bards and druids get these spells in addition to clerics.

Archade

Azer Paladin
Won't these be great spells to harm undead with?

And it gives a (very small) reason to take Spell Focus (Conjuration).

youspoonybard

First Post
Can a Druid cast a Mass CLW, centered on herself, then, if her animal companion is standing next to her, share the spell with him, so that the Animal Companion gets healed twice?

drnuncheon

Explorer
robaustin said:
What is the area of effect for this?

1 creature/level, no two of which may be more than 30' apart.

As for the SF: Conj...man, I hate that feat. If only because almost every single summon-oriented prestige class (and just about every feat) has it as a requirement...even though it doesn't do a thing for your summoning.

J

ForceUser

Explorer
youspoonybard said:
Can a Druid cast a Mass CLW, centered on herself, then, if her animal companion is standing next to her, share the spell with him, so that the Animal Companion gets healed twice?
Nope. You can only share spells with a range of "personal." Mass cures are close range.

youspoonybard

First Post
You sure?

Not that I don't trust you, but Andy said that the Druid could use the ability to get more bang for the buck out of her healing spells by healing the Animal Companion at the same time.

Is is spells with the range of touch that you're thinking of...hmmm...

As per the 3.0 SRD:
"At the blackguard’s option, he may have any spell he casts on himself also affect his servant. The servant must be within 5 feet. If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, the spell stops affecting the servant if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the servant again even if the servant returns to the blackguard before the duration expires. Additionally, the blackguard may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his servant (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. The blackguard and the servant can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the servant’s type (magical beast)."

Don't see anything about that...did they change that in 3.5?

Last edited:

ForceUser

Explorer
I stand corrected. On pg. 36 of the revised PHB under Druid's Animal Companion it states:

At the druid's option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion.
Still, healing your animal twice with the same spell seems counter-intuitive. I'd rule you can only affect any one creature once with the same spell.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
youspoonybard said:
Not that I don't trust you, but Andy said that the Druid could use the ability to get more bang for the buck out of her healing spells by healing the Animal Companion at the same time.
That's for regular cures. Druid casts an ordinary CLW on himself for 8 points, shares it with the companion for 8 points, and gets "two for one."

I don't think I'd allow it for a mass cure, because it feels silly. The rules may not prevent it though.

Remove ads