• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Converting Woes...? Ha!

Well, there's been a few people talking about how converting characters to the Revised rules will take forever, etc etc...hmm...well, I just got my books today, and did converting...here's the list of the differnt parties in games I run...all were changed where it was needed...

3rd level Ranger
3rd level Samurai(Only had to change some feats for him since OA isn't changed)
3rd level Monk
3rd level Cleric

Cleric 3/Sorcerer 10
Fighter 10/Dwarven Defender 3
Enchanter 13

Bard 7/Sorcerer 9
Rogue 11/Sorcerer 5

All of this...spells, etc etc etc...took half an hour. That's it. maybe its just the character choices, but it was NOTHING. This definatly is a Revision and not a new edition. :)

billbo

First Post
While spells and certain things MUST be converted, is it really the case that most characters must be converted?

Look, if you were a Ranger using the 3.0 rules before, can't you continue as a 3.0 Ranger? Can't you just be a slightly variant ranger, a bit different from the "latest recruits"?

Why do people feel the need that their characters-- who were quite legal under the old rules -- must be instantly changed to be legal under the new rules? Hasn't anyone heard of "grandfathering"?

I think it's a lot more realistic for a Ranger to be a bit different than his fellows than to get instantly retconned (retroactive continuitied) into a guy with a different skill and feat set.

Not that I'm criticizing YOU, sir. I just hear a lot of people wailing, "Oh no, now my Ranger is different, WOE IS ME...!" I'm not quite sure what such people think will happen when the RPG police catch them playing with an unofficial ranger.

drnuncheon

Explorer
billbo said:
I'm not quite sure what such people think will happen when the RPG police catch them playing with an unofficial ranger.

There are no RPG police. Just RPG vigilantes, who break into your home at night and beat you with socks stuffed full of dice. If you're lucky, they use high-impact d20s with the rounded edges, but if your crimes are really heinous they load them up with the old-style d4s. The ones with the points that draw blood.

J

Oh I completely understand the thing about not having to convert characters. I plan on using the old Ranger as an "NPC Ranger" of sorts. Tone it down a bit more and do the same with the old Bard.

Only reason I posted this was because of all the screaming of how horrible and painful it would be TO convert. It isn't. Its a bit rough here and there, but nothing too painful.

:)

billbo

First Post
Yes, I know. I'm not directing my criticism at you. If one wants to convert, convert.

I'm just using your post as a jumping off point. If conversion is difficult or would violate your character as you've come to know him... well then, <i>don't convert.</i> Once again, he'd just be like an odd multiclassed character. The character took a couple of levels of "Old Ranger Class." Big deal.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
drnuncheon said:

There are no RPG police. Just RPG vigilantes, who break into your home at night and beat you with socks stuffed full of dice. If you're lucky, they use high-impact d20s with the rounded edges, but if your crimes are really heinous they load them up with the old-style d4s. The ones with the points that draw blood.

J

d4s make great caltrops, too. Just let the sucker try to chase after me barefoot when I'm done vigilantizing.

In the case of the ranger, you must convert.

Well, not really, but the new ranger is so much better than the old ranger (same with the monk) that there is no reason not to convert.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
And if wookies live on endor, you must acquit.

Personally, looking at things, I can't think why you wouldn't want to convert. Unless you're one of those "hey, loook! A single level of ranger got me TWF, Ambidexterity and track!".

And even then, you'd probably be better off taking a level of fighter and picking up ambi/twf as a feat. Or sticking to your original class.

La Bete

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

d4s make great caltrops, too. Just let the sucker try to chase after me barefoot when I'm done vigilantizing.

dont even joke about it. I discovered two things back in the day, whn trying to negotiation a small room full of gamer..

1. d4s make evil caltrops.
2. my ninja skillz are less than l337.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads