• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Cover Rules

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I think the old 3.0 cover rules were better. I don't quite understand why they weren't kept. Game designers make some strange decisions sometimes.

The old cover rules were simple and provided a variety of good examplse as to what cover to apply for specific situations.

coyote6

Adventurer
Re: re

Celtavian said:
I think the old 3.0 cover rules were better. I don't quite understand why they weren't kept.

My guess is that since a miniatures skirmish game doesn't have a GM or other impartial referee, they need more specific rules on what provides cover and what doesn't. And they want the miniatures game and 3.5e to have the same rules, so they changed the cover rules.

anon

First Post
Melee cover

So do I read "if any line from your square to the target’s square" correctly to mean that I check each corner of the attacker's square to each corner of the defender's square? In essence 16 lines drawn, though of course many of the line would be irrelevant.

Actually, you check an infinite number of lines - it's from any point in your square to any point in your target's square, not just at the corners.

The corners tend to be a useful shortcut, however.

Remove ads