• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Daze Question

ThaDium

First Post
Freedom of Movement specifies paralysis as one thing it affects. Despair is a psychological (fear) ability that causes paralysis. As such, psychological conditions can be (and I think Dandu is hinting: should be) affected by Freedom of Movement.

Now that Dandu's perspective has been explained a bit less cryptically by others, I'm going to have to agree to disagree. I'm fine with Freedom of Movement removing psychological paralysis, just not in my game. If I'm playing in a game someone else is running it, I'll watch Freedom of Movement used to counter daze ands similar effects. It's just not going to happen in a game that I DM. No disrespect intended to anyone, it's just my view.

ThaDium

First Post
Freedom of Movement

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, allow water breathing.

Almost everything about this makes it sound like your movement is impeded by way of a physical effect: binding/grabbing/etc... Even paralysis is generally caused by things like poisons, which would require a fortitude save, implying physicality. The mohrg's touch also requires a fortitude save.

The only real exception I see is slow, which I tend to think of as a physical effect, but requires a Will save, so it breaks mental.
[MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION] - As a side note, this has been a really interesting discussion for me. Thanks for getting me thinking in a new direction about the rules and how to interpret them. I'm not quite there yet, but I see your side much better now than I did earlier.

Dandu

First Post
I tried...
Paralysis effects can be mental, but that does not entail that paralysis effects must be mental. In much the same way, you can become dazed through mental effects, but also from a concussion.

Dandu, your wisdom, I suppose, is ageless. Your clarity, however leaves something to be desired. And what good is wisdom if it can't be understood?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf6E-1BD7c8&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
Third Eye: Clarity (XPH/MIC) allows the wearer to 1/day as an immediate mental action, end one daze effect (among a couple others).

3000g each. Buy several. Swap out between encounters as directed.

Remove ads