• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Deflect Arrows clarification

Telas

Explorer
The SRD seems to imply that Deflect Arrows can block anything short of a Huge Crossbow or siege weaponry.

In kicking it around, I'm thinking of what can actually be deflected. I'm thinking anything that weighs one pound or less, and has a "safe area" that can be hit to deflect it.

So spears, hand axes, and shuriken couldn't be blocked, but arrows, bolts, daggers, and darts could.

If I wanted to "get really real", I could see spears/javelins being deflected, but I'm not so sure about hand axes and such. Sling stones are another problem... it's like deflecting a fastball, even if you deflect it, it still hurts.

Feedback?

Telas

Kazinsky

First Post
There is no reason to limit the effects of this feat, unless you specifically wish to house rule. The wording of the feat allows for any ranged attack to be deflected. If you wish to place a "realistic" limit on this feat, I would apply a "...up to one size category greater than you..." statement into the description.

Remember, with Deflect Arrows, you aren't necessarily using your bare hand to deflect ranged attacks. It can be reasonable to assume that you use your free hand to sweep your cloak into the path of the incoming attack to deflect it (ala supernatural martial arts flicks).

Otherwise, you are decreasing the effectiveness of this feat as written.

Telas

Explorer
Yeah, that's kind of the point; I think the feat should be nerfed a bit, but I'm not sure how much. It seems to be a regular target of house rules.

I would like to come up with a hard-and-fast rule, like "you can't deflect anything over x pounds, and it has to have a haft or handle of some sort". That rules out spears (which seem to be highly deflectable), but includes sling stones (which probably hurt no matter what you do with them).

Hmm... looking over the weapons table... could one deflect a net? :heh:

Anyway, thanks for the reply. The feat bothers me a bit, but not enough to re-write the entire thing.... :\

Maybe I'll just let it lie, and worry about bigger things, like writing adventures good enough that the rules aren't the center of the game. :cool:

Telas

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Telas said:
Yeah, that's kind of the point; I think the feat should be nerfed a bit, but I'm not sure how much. It seems to be a regular target of house rules.
The only time I've seen this feat house ruled, it was made stronger on account of how weak it is. IME, this feat is rarely taken, and rarely relevent.
Maybe I'll just let it lie, and worry about bigger things, like writing adventures good enough that the rules aren't the center of the game. :cool:
A very good idea, methinks. :)

dagger

Adventurer
I have a hobgoblin ballistae ambush coming up at some point, and I might need to make a ruling on this very thing.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
It's only once per round anyway. Try shooting using a sling against the dude, and then the ballista.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Not that it adds much to the conversation, but you should have seen the look on my player's face when the BBEG monk used Snatch Arrows to fling alchemist's fire back in their face. It was pricesless. :]

Bront

The man with the probe
Given that there is an epic feat that includes all ranged attacks, i sort of assumed that it was simply arrows, bolts and the like, but most definately not siege weapons, ranged attack spells, alchemist's fire, or other oddities. It is also one, and only once, per round, though a character can decide to not do it for one attack in hopes of saving it for the next.

So, it doesn't prevent you from being pincussioned from a rapidshot archer, just from the occasional stray arrow, bolt, or other ranged weapon.

Also keep in mind, other than for a monk, it has some nasty prereqs that most people aren't going to use, which tends to make a feat more powerfull (since it's harder to get).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads