"3.5" doesn't make sense...

So why are people calling the first major revisions of the 3rd ed. rules "3.5"? Who came up with that?

How do you even say it? "...using the third and a half edition rules, you would..."? Nah. There is no such thing as a 3.5 edition. Either there is a new edition or there isn't. If you are talking about half an edition, it's because you're missing half your pages.

But even if we hold on to calling the new revised rules for 3rd edition D&D, why 3.5? What happened to 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 - not to mention 3.4? And what is the next revision going to be called? 3.10?

Stoopid! Let's get rid of that absurd [3.5]!

Why not call it: the revised 3rd edition rules - and give it a abbreviation that makes sense.... I dunno "3e(r)" perhaps... or something similar.

And when the next major revision arrives in a couple of years, it'll be the 3rd ed. rules - 2nd revision. 3e(r2).

Enkhidu

Explorer
What about D&D 3.0 Service Pack 1? It fits with the amount of changes they have, and especially with the Open Source software model they've adopted...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, actually trying to create jargon usually doesn't work. You use what crops up and sticks.

Plus, we are talking about a shorthand for a message board - the point of having it is to simplify, and not have to write "Revised Third Edition" every time. Logic and accuracy can take a bit of a backseat to speed and getting the point across. 3.5e is relatively quick. 3e(r) is perhaps more accurate, but it has those two shifted characters.

Technik4

First Post
I think there was a 3.1, when they stopped putting the little extra insert in the back of the phb in case you didnt have the MM, and started adding some of the dragon sage questions. Then the 3.2 was the eratta. Not sure why we call this 3.5, but its the first major revision.

Technik

Impeesa

Explorer
D&D 3.0 Professional edition? ;)

Something just occurred to me... why is it third edition to begin with? It's only the second edition to bear the plain D&D name, but it's the fourth overall.... ;)

--Impeesa--

Remove ads