• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 E, older D&D and Pathfinder. What do D&D vets think of pathfinder

Shoe

Explorer
You can buy the PDF from Paizo for 10 bucks. If you mean the HB book then good luck finding a cheap copy. It has sold once and they are working on a 3rd printing already and it is less than a year old. So just saying I have doubts you can find a cheap copy unless you get lucky.

Yeah I know...i hate PDF books and the main book is kinda steep. I may just use the couple of rules that i like (CMB and the XP budget encounter buiilder) and call it good. $50 for a somewhat rehash of all the 3.5 I already have is a little rough

ruemere

Adventurer
Yeah I know...i hate PDF books and the main book is kinda steep. I may just use the couple of rules that i like (CMB and the XP budget encounter buiilder) and call it good. $50 for a somewhat rehash of all the 3.5 I already have is a little rough

You are strongly advised to browse actual content. There are little changes all over the place (spells, actual skill mechanics, items).

For example, losing a familiar is no longer a dire risk to its owner. Or traditional warrior-killer spell, Forcecage, comes with a Reflex save now.
Or, how about this: Arcane Schools and Domain and Sorcerer Bloodlines are part of Classes section now - you don't need to browse back and forward to build a character.

Pathfinder RPG is not a simple rehash - it's a fully independent product, more user friendly across versions (hardcover, PDF and Html) than 3.5 predecessors, complete (Xp progression in Html version, for example) and comes with great artwork.

Do yourself a favor and browse it somewhere.

Regards,
Ruemere

Caedwyr

First Post

You can get the core rulebook from Amazon for about $32.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook/dp/1601251505/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273115935&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook (9781601251503): Jason Bulmahn: Books[/ame]

Redbranch

First Post
Huh I didn't know Amazon had any left of the 2nd printing.

I recently got the core book from bn.com (Barnes and Noble), I had a gift card. It was about the same price as Amazon, plus I got free shipping and if you Google for coupons you can save even more, I think I saved an additional $6.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
1. people who have been playing since 2nd edition, what do you think of pathfinder? Does it feel like classic D&D?

It's pretty much 3.5 with some fixes and tweeks. If you liked the feel of 3.5 edition, you should like Pathfinder also.

I like most of the changes that they made, the only difficulty is that I still make alot of assumptions based on how things used to work only to find that they changed it in Pathfinder. For example, our group just assumed that if you attack a grappling creature, you have a 50% chance of hitting the wrong person, like before. Then after looking more closely, we could find no mention of that rule anywhere, so it looks like they removed it. We encounter things like this alot.

2. How does Item creation work, I LOVE that you do not loose XP now, but what DO you do?

Instead of paying xp to make items you have to roll a Spellcraft or Craft check to make the item. If you fail by too much, you create a cursed item.

3. I am not so big on balancing the rules as I am the flavor of the game and the RP being a good simulation of real life + fantasy. Does the changes to the base classes that were made to make them less weak take away from the realism?

They're no more or less realistic than they were before, IMO.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Pathfinder is 3.5 by other means. It readjusts some of the issues in 3.5 with a better overall approach to some pressing issues. The CMB/CMD mechanic is an elegant way of dealing with many of these legacy issues and the revisions to charecters, abilities, skills (especially skills) feats and spells are all welcome.

Pathfinder has allowed us to move from 3.5 to a currently supported game system while allowing us to disengage from the splat books that made 3.5 increasingly broken and unplayable due to an increasing power shift in favor of the players in the late cycle of 3.5 brought on by the Spell Compendium, Races of and Complete series.

I'm not saying that 4E doesn't have some interesting elements and points in its favor that I think deserve exploration and a decent 20+ session kick at the can by all players of the game. Dismissing 4E out of hand without a serious play through to see what it REALLY offers is, imo, an undeserved and close-minded approach to a different interation of the D&D game. I'd say the same thing to players of 4E that won't give Pathfinder a fair shake, too.

Frankly, several of the players in our group have been quite-close-minded about 4E. I manage I'll persuade them to give it a try in a year or two - but for now, the clear preference is for Pathfinder.

The core of 3.5 was without doubt the favorite version of D&D ever released by most of the players in our group and Pathfinder has allowed our group to continue with it in a satisfying and authentic manner. It's not "like" D&D -- it IS D&D.

I recommend Pathfinder to veterans of the game and fans of 3.xx without hesitation or reservation.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
So i have a few questions:
1. people who have been playing since 2nd edition, what do you think of pathfinder? Does it feel like classic D&D?

Feels like 3.5 with a cleaner ruleset.

2. How does Item creation work, I LOVE that you do not loose XP now, but what DO you do?

Main difference is no xp. A higher gold cost for some items. And the incorporation of skill rolls to complete magic items. I like the incorporation of skills to create items. That seems appropriate.

3. I am not so big on balancing the rules as I am the flavor of the game and the RP being a good simulation of real life + fantasy. Does the changes to the base classes that were made to make them less weak take away from the realism?

No. All the abilities the classes receive seem appropriate to the classes.

4. How hard is it to use CR on 3.5 monsters with pathfinder. I notice that they do not use CR any more and I am a DM 1st and a player second so if this change is big and for the better I will be excited.

CRs are easier to use.

The power creep for classes is high for some and as expected for others. The Paladin in particular is very powerful against the most important monsters you fight. A paladin will hammer and hammer hard against most BBEG. They are practically immune to high level spells and abilities that require fort and will saves given how high their saves go. They also gain more outright immunities and eventually gain DR. They can lay on hands on themselves more often than before, which makes them very hard to kill. Paladins are beasts in D&D now. Maybe near the equivalent of the old Paladin-Cavalier combo from the Unearthed Arcana days. I enjoyed that paladin, so I don't mind though I think it makes it hard on a DM to challenge a well-supported paladin.

The strongest damage dealer in the game is the fighter. There are other classes that can deal more damage situationally due to special abilities, but fighters are the true masters of combat. They tear stuff apart. And you can build fighter combat monsters like nothing that has ever been in D&D before as far as the fighter goes.

The rogue is better than it was before, but in our campaign it is still one of the weakest classes in the game. They can deal alot of damage if they get into attack position quickly. But the other melee classes can do alot of damage whether or not they are in position. But as you level their bad will and fort save become a liability as high end casters and creatures start pulling out the big gun spells that target will and fort. Usually leaves the rogue feeling like a chump in our campaigns.

Sorcerers are much more interesting. They have bloodlines that give them alot more than they had before and make for a more potent class.

Wizards have more to them as well. It makes them quite a bit more potent. Though they're nothing like the 3E wizard post-arch mage.

Monk is real cool now too. Feels much more like a martial artist and has some additional ki powers that are fun to use.

Even the bard seems more fun if you like playing a super skill, support class.

Ranger is better too. Still very much like the 3.5 version, but with some improvements and more focus.

Cleric gets more for their domains. They lack that cool lvl 20 ability most of the other classes get, but they're still very potent given the plethora of abilities they get. Wish Pathfinder had given them a cool level 20 ability as part of a domain power or at least the class.

Haven't messed with the druid too much.

Overall, the classes overpower the monsters. Sort of feels like old school D&D because the characters overpowered the monsters in 2nd edition in my group's campaigns, especially the two weapon fighters and wizards. So if you like characters that eventually become very, very powerful and don't mind coordinated groups smashing your adventures unless you beef them way up, then you'll like Pathfinder.

Last edited:

MortonStromgal

First Post
Its still 3e, just with some tweaks and adjustments sorta like moving from 3.0 to 3.5. The HUGE part for me is the quality of the product Piazo is putting out there and then the high amount of stuff that is becoming open content. This makes me buy Pathfinder stuff even if I wasn't all that interested before.

Renfield

First Post
Define classic D&D... My experience with OD&D and AD&D was primarily limited to Dungeon Crawls, the DM had a lot more 'power' in that there weren't so many rules to define every action. Roleplaying wasn't emphasized as much as problem solving (not saying it was non-existant but the push for RP as a focus seemed to crop up more in 2nd Edition from my perspective). In that sense I don't think Pathfinder is much like 'classic' D&D in and of itself but I think it can be used for such games.

I liked that change, the costs and the time it took to make the items were enough in my experience and I'm primarily a DM.

I don't think balance should subtract from the game itself, there's a place for it but I think some people cry 'unbalanced!' or 'Broken' when really all they need to do is adjust their strategy a little. However I've never seen a D&D game be realistic simulation of life+fantasy, at least not mechanically. I can't really make a reference to this because I never considered the system realistic to begin with using things like AC or HP or having poisons like Arsenic be a DC 14 (give or take a point) so... not sure what to say here.

4. How hard is it to use CR on 3.5 monsters with pathfinder. I notice that they do not use CR any more and I am a DM 1st and a player second so if this change is big and for the better I will be excited.
Not hard at all. Configuring things like CMB and CMD struck me as the most complex thing you might need to do if you're just looking for quick and dirty conversions. More complete conversions might be a little bit more difficult but I've been able to flip open the 3.5 MM and toss a few beasties at the PC's and have them more or less match the CR.

Not sure if this helps but that's my take.

Remove ads