• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 e6, what are some good multiclass options?

Miziziziz

First Post
I'm going to be playing in an e6 core-only campaign, and I was wondering what some good mutliclass options would be.

I wanted to do a fighter/sorceror combo and use wands, but now I'm thinking of a melee-ranger/sorceror. But I don't really know much about mutliclassing, any suggestions?

Hehe I'm also looking at those, although my talent for power gaming is lacking.

I was thinking maybe Cleric 3 / Druid 3 with Practiced Spellcaster for both classes. You lose 3rd level spells and Wild Shape, but you get a great amount of 1st-level and 2nd-level spells, which are still useful when you cap at level 6.

Fighter 4 / Ranger 2 can give you a good 2-weapon fighter...

There are a lot of Fighter 4 / (full BAB class) 2 that are interesting, since so many of them are kind of front-loaded.

Rogue 5 / Sorcerer 1 for ranged touch attack fun

AR

Wyvernhand

First Post
Goliath (using E6 rules for +LA) Fighter2/Warblade4.

Get Power Attack, Imp Bull Rush, Knockback (Races of Stone), and the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape.

Find a foe. Initiate Emerald Razor. Power Attack for -6. Hit easily vs touch AC for something like 25 damage (12 PA, 10ish for 3d6 large greatsword, 6 for Str at least). Then initiate a Bull Rush from Knockback with an opposed bull rush mod of around +26 (+6 Str, +4 Size, +4 Imp Bull Rush, +12 Power Attack). For each 5 points you beat your foe by, you knock them back 5 additional feat, so you could easily knock someone back 20-30 feet depending on your rolls. If they hit a wall, they take another 4d6+8ish, depending on strength.

The kick is up...its good!

Miziziziz

First Post
Hehe I'm also looking at those, although my talent for power gaming is lacking.

I was thinking maybe Cleric 3 / Druid 3 with Practiced Spellcaster for both classes. You lose 3rd level spells and Wild Shape, but you get a great amount of 1st-level and 2nd-level spells, which are still useful when you cap at level 6.

Fighter 4 / Ranger 2 can give you a good 2-weapon fighter...

There are a lot of Fighter 4 / (full BAB class) 2 that are interesting, since so many of them are kind of front-loaded.

Rogue 5 / Sorcerer 1 for ranged touch attack fun

AR

hmm, how would the rogue/sorceror combo work? (never played rogue)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Core only E6?

Ranger2/Fighter2/Barbarian2 for melee goodness.

Rogue1/Bard5 for skillful & spells.

Ranger4/Druid2 or Ranger5/Druid1 for 2 animal companions.

Druid5/Barbarian1 for a Raging Wild Shaped bear/badger/wolf/etc

Wizard3/Cleric3 for spell versatility.

Wizard3/Druid3 for spell versatility and 2 animal buddies.

Miziziziz

First Post
Core only E6?

Ranger2/Fighter2/Barbarian2 for melee goodness.

Rogue1/Bard5 for skillful & spells.

Ranger4/Druid2 or Ranger5/Druid1 for 2 animal companions.

Druid5/Barbarian1 for a Raging Wild Shaped bear/badger/wolf/etc

Wizard3/Cleric3 for spell versatility.

Wizard3/Druid3 for spell versatility and 2 animal buddies.

we're also allowed some feats aside from core, I'm wanting to go the path of dual-wand wielder, would the rogue1/bard5 combo work for that?

hmm, actually would it work to do a fighter1/bard5 and walk around in full plate dual-wielding wands?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
we're also allowed some feats aside from core, I'm wanting to go the path of dual-wand wielder, would the rogue1/bard5 combo work for that?

hmm, actually would it work to do a fighter1/bard5 and walk around in full plate dual-wielding wands?
A Bard incurs spell failure chance for wearing heavier-than-Light armor, but that wouldn't affect Wands.

Double Wand Wielding requires Craft Wand and Two-Weapon Fighting, so as long as you're willing to invest your Feats that way, sure. You've got the caster level 5 requirement set with 5 levels of Bard.

Are you starting at level 6? This build won't be doable until that level, because of the Caster level 5 requirement of Craft Wand. Since you need 5 levels of Bard before qualifying for the Craft Wand prereq feat, and then you'll pick up Double Wand Wielding after that, this build won't work until after you hit level 6 and qualify for your first E6 extra feat. You can be this awesome, as long as you're willing to wait to be this awesome.

You could walk around with Full Plate wielding a single Wand as early as Fighter1/Bard1.

Caster level 5 + any other class 1 could qualify for the Dual Wand Weider build feats. So Rogue1/Bard5 could work.

Miziziziz

First Post
A Bard incurs spell failure chance for wearing heavier-than-Light armor, but that wouldn't affect Wands.

Double Wand Wielding requires Craft Wand and Two-Weapon Fighting, so as long as you're willing to invest your Feats that way, sure. You've got the caster level 5 requirement set with 5 levels of Bard.

Are you starting at level 6? This build won't be doable until that level, because of the Caster level 5 requirement of Craft Wand. Since you need 5 levels of Bard before qualifying for the Craft Wand prereq feat, and then you'll pick up Double Wand Wielding after that, this build won't work until after you hit level 6 and qualify for your first E6 extra feat. You can be this awesome, as long as you're willing to wait to be this awesome.

You could walk around with Full Plate wielding a single Wand as early as Fighter1/Bard1.

Caster level 5 + any other class 1 could qualify for the Dual Wand Weider build feats. So Rogue1/Bard5 could work.
oh yeah, duh, I could use single wands until then, didn't think of that.
I start at level one. what would be the best caster class to go with for an armored wand user approach? and what would be the recommended progression? like fighter first, or caster first?

Empirate

First Post
Some general things to consider:

1. Capstone feats are really powerful. They're basically as if you took another level or even more, at least with regards to one of your main class features. So you shouldn't multiclass if it means you miss out on your capstone. For example, a Bard with Inspire Courage +2 is really, really good in E6. A Rogue special ability or the ability to use Restoration are nothing to scoff at, either, and can really change the game. Many E6 campaigns also invent additional capstones.

2. Feats in general, OTOH, are cheap. Suggesting Fighter 4/x 2 is bad advice for this reason. Sooner or later, you'll get all the feats you want anyway, so having a few more a bit sooner doesn't matter as much. Fighter 4 shouldn't be done AT ALL, since all it gives you is feats (Fighter 6 is OK for the Dungeoncrasher damage boost, which is very significant, but taking just 4 Fighter levels wastes at least two good levels). Actual class features are much more valuable in E6.

3. 3rd level spells are where the spellcasters can really introduce game-changing stuff. Flying around, breathing underwater, getting rid of cursed items, even incinerating a bunch of mooks at once, those things are huge in E6. You won't have easy access to them from NPCs in a typical E6 campaign. Let me add just two more words to convince you never to give up 3rd level spells in E6 if you can have them: Dispel Magic.

Multiclassing, if you want to do it, is best done in carefully considered dips: If you already get 3rd level spells (Cleric, Druid or Wizard 5), why not take a level in something else to round out your character, add a second specialty, pick up a nice class feature?

A level of Rogue (to bolster skills and get a cheap and easy damage boost), a level of Barbarian (for Rage, pretty good with a Wildshaping Druid for instance, especially with Extra Wildshape and Extra Rage), a level of Bard (for some nice and easy Inspire Courage), or a level of Cleric (for two domains, which can provide huge versatility, and undead turning) can be nice. Since in E6 saves are going to remain a problem forever, dipping two levels of Paladin might also be acceptable, especially in a melee build.

BAB +6, OTOH, can be got with a variety of melee classes stacked whichever way on top of each other, so go crazy there if an iterative attack is your main goal anyway.

Miziziziz

First Post
thanks, that was very helpful!
wouldn't it be possible to get 3rd level spells by using wands though?
hmm, actually, since feats are cheap, couldn't I technically get the armored caster feat multiple times and reduce ASF chance to 0, and then get armor profiency up to heavy, and thereby go pure caster?

Last edited:

Remove ads