• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Feat - Intuitive Attack + Crossbows

Scorponox

First Post
Hi EN World,

Quick question my Cleric in the party asked. He would like to take Intuitive Attack as their feat, and he was wondering would this apply to crossbows?

He asked:

Would you guys say that it would work on my crossbow too? The feat mentions "instead of your strength modifier" and the crossbow uses dex not str.... but the idea behind the feat is I aim with a gut feeling and/or a divine influence guiding me. The crossbow is a simple weapon so it would qualify unlike a bow, (bows are martial)

and another player replied:

Not sure why a crossbow is classed as a "simple" weapon when it's definitely not, but I definitely see your point. However, I would say that because it used Dexterity to hit and not Strength, I'm thinking the feat is meant for melee combat only, not for missile combat. Try digging around to see other rulings on it though, or just let Wayne decide, but my feeling is that it's meant solely for melee combat, which is why the specific mention of Strength instead of a generic "use your Wisdom modifier instead of the relevant ability modifier."

and yet another:

I don't get it on ranged attacks with my insightful strike either. Sucks.

Nebten

First Post
If you are the DM it is up to you. But the way it is read, it couldn't apply to crossbows. You are subsituting Str for Wis, not Dex for Wis. That is what Zen Archery is for.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads