• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 flying castle.

jefgorbach

First Post
Not home but IRC Champions of Mystara presented rules for constructing flying ships/castles/etc which should translate well. Rather than a single wizard attempting to enchant the entire object at once, they were collective endeavors akin to modern construction projects with one high level wizard overseeing lower level enchantment crew(s) constructing individually enchanted sections which are then assembled into the finished whole. Not only did it make more logical sense, it added the benefit of being able to damage/repair a given number of sections without causing the entire vessel to fail and fly from the sky (at least until a certain threshold was reached).

Think a number of 3rd party companies did similar supplements under the d20/ogl license; forget titles off-hand.

LordMonty

First Post
The enclaves of Nethril were made by the creation of mythallar, a minor artifact that required 10th or 11th level spells. Kraus of Nethril cast the only 12th level spell developed to steal the divine power of Mystryl. This threatens the weave itself, Mystryl sacrifices herself to isolate the weave. A few miniutes later Mystrl is reborn as Mystral and bans mortals from magic greater than 9th level. Epic spells are the only way to exceed this ban in Faerun.

Oh sorry, duely corrected, but on point - the mountain flip as it were is the only way post Kraus to do it in Faerun.

But moot point use the rules for the spell i mentioned above for any attempt to take them out maybe dispel them etc :p as 'act of god' seems quite enough for how it came to be.

heymejack

First Post
well as the idea develops in my head, i really like the thought of the construction crews, with a head wizard working with a head architect/engineer and they both have their subordinates, construction crews, teams of lower-level wizards, so on.

story wise, i was trying to establish a very class-based society, with the rich/noble living high above the common people. and i want conflict with far away elves, protecting their homeland/forest. the humans are going to be mining some mineral, lets call it fly-rock for now, in the mountains on the other side of/surrounded by elven lands. and the fly-rock is the material component for whatever the spell is that keeps the castles floating. so the elves are conducting raids on supply lines and encroaching settlements and so on, and the occasional bigger raid on the capital city (where the pc's will be at first). lots of talk about how the long-lived elves are greedy and selfish, and are taking jobs away from the hardworking people of ... the land. good mining jobs.

but elves are good guys! well yeah, somewhere near the middle of the campaign, there's gonna be a reveal on the bbeg who is human and noble and secretly directing the resources of the great human nation against the elves on behalf of .... the actual bad guys.

so, good times. i appreciate the help you've given me so far, it's definitely helped me develop my ideas for this campaign. if, in reading through all this stuff, you have more ideas, give me those, too. thanks.

shadyizok

Explorer
The stronghold builders guidebook (allthough 3.0) has rules for creating a castle in the sky among other things. Includes cost, CL etc. Just a magic item ish. To make your castle fly just pay 15k according to the book. If your gonna build a city with castles, this book is defenitly worth a look.

Remove ads