• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 (3.5) Flying Ships - Non-Eberron

plunoir101

First Post
Hey guys,

So I have a player who is dead set on creating a ship that can fly, and eventually traverse planes.
My world doesn't have access to dragonshards or anything from Eberron but I know its possible. Oh and its 3.5.

So far here are there ideas. This is just speculation as of now.

1. Contract a Djinn or other entity.
2. Bind a powerful air elemental into a ship.
3. (My fav) Shocker lizards. Lots of shocker lizards strapped to an engine of sorts that powers the whole rig. Still working on the details on this one.
4. The Cloud Keel from Arms & Equipment (I think).

That's all they have at the moment and they're all nice because it means side quests YAY! I'm very nice when it comes to a creative answer to a solution in my game and any advice, no matter how bizarre, will be taken under consideration. In fact, the crazier the idea the better.

Thans in advance!
-plunoir

Empirate

First Post
There are flying ships in the Forgotten Realms, as well: Halruaan [that is, from the country of Halruaa] Skyships. Magic of Faerûn lists them as a Wondrous Item with a market price of 700,000 gp. Shining South has some more info on them.
Honestly, they're not too impressive, though: low cargo capacity (20 tons or so, decreasing with height), can't go that high up, is still dependent on sailing (Control Weather might come in handy), is commensurately slow. Not at all like a transport plane, more like a normal, small sailing vessel that happens to be capable of clearing low hills and ride right over the treetops.

I'd forget Djinni or Air Elementals, they're much too weak. But if you can kill a huge (or bigger) dragon and turn it into a zombie, it could easily carry a very large platform through the skies, and it'd be tireless as well.

LordMonty

First Post
Also in Stormwrack there were rules for spells to allow planes travel with ships, actually a level 9 spell Planar Navigation to be exact and a nice set of rules for general sea travel to complement the Faerun rules.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Sounds like fun! What if the ship gets thrust from jets? Basically a few long metal tubes with portals to the Plane of Air at one end and a turbine at the other. When the portal is opened, air whooshes out, spins the turbine and the ship takes off. The shocker lizards can power up the turbine's fan blades and also control the portal mechanism... so if the shocker lizards die, the ship can't start up (or if they die when the ship is in motion, the ship can't stop!). Maybe a djinn could be contracted as ship's engineer, with a few air elemental crew to supplement the PCs normal crew. Also, they might need a djinn or something based on the Plane of Air to keep weird air/electricity creatures from getting sucked through the portal and turbines, and possibly wrecking the ship. Build the ship out of ultra-light material ("heliumwood"?) and use "super-floating disk" magic (also powered by the shocker lizards) to allow it to levitate, so it can rise/descend and sail normally in the natural wind. A few lifeboats would have a permanent "super-feather fall" effect on them or something.

Heh, so that's not actually 3.5e rules, but it's all possible with a little stretching. ;)

plunoir101

First Post
Wow! So many replies... ok were to get started...

There are flying ships in the Forgotten Realms, as well: Halruaan [that is, from the country of Halruaa] Skyships. Magic of Faerûn lists them as a Wondrous Item with a market price of 700,000 gp. Shining South has some more info on them.
Honestly, they're not too impressive, though: low cargo capacity (20 tons or so, decreasing with height), can't go that high up, is still dependent on sailing (Control Weather might come in handy), is commensurately slow. Not at all like a transport plane, more like a normal, small sailing vessel that happens to be capable of clearing low hills and ride right over the treetops.

Yes, I had skimmed over some Forgotten realms stuff but it didn't scream out to the players.

I'd forget Djinni or Air Elementals, they're much too weak. But if you can kill a huge (or bigger) dragon and turn it into a zombie, it could easily carry a very large platform through the skies, and it'd be tireless as well.

Now this is style. I will definitely bring this up to them on thursday!

Also in Stormwrack there were rules for spells to allow planes travel with ships, actually a level 9 spell Planar Navigation to be exact and a nice set of rules for general sea travel to complement the Faerun rules.

I can't believe I forgot about Stormwrack. I will definitely check that whole section out.

Sounds like fun! What if the ship gets thrust from jets? Basically a few long metal tubes with portals to the Plane of Air at one end and a turbine at the other. When the portal is opened, air whooshes out, spins the turbine and the ship takes off. The shocker lizards can power up the turbine's fan blades and also control the portal mechanism... so if the shocker lizards die, the ship can't start up (or if they die when the ship is in motion, the ship can't stop!). Maybe a djinn could be contracted as ship's engineer, with a few air elemental crew to supplement the PCs normal crew. Also, they might need a djinn or something based on the Plane of Air to keep weird air/electricity creatures from getting sucked through the portal and turbines, and possibly wrecking the ship. Build the ship out of ultra-light material ("heliumwood"?) and use "super-floating disk" magic (also powered by the shocker lizards) to allow it to levitate, so it can rise/descend and sail normally in the natural wind. A few lifeboats would have a permanent "super-feather fall" effect on them or something.

Heh, so that's not actually 3.5e rules, but it's all possible with a little stretching. ;)

Holy Crap! Now this is genius, pure genius. I really love the turbines connected to tubes connected to the plane of air. Also, a massive Tenser's Floating Disk would suffice if they could hire a mage or otherworldy creature to their crew. This is by far the most fun idea, plus it has the upside of side-questing for materials, shocker lizards, and hired help which is a big thing to me and my players.

Airships by Bastion Press is all about them if you are looking for more ideas and a system for crafting them in a 3e game.

So is the Aerial Adventure Guide from Goodman Games.

I've read some reviews on both and I think Airships may be very appealing to a certain player. I will show him the reviews and have him decide if it's what he wants.

Thanks to everyone for your awesome ideas! I will post a followup message the day after the session. See you then!

jefgorbach

First Post
the older Champions of Mystara box set also had rules for flying ships/etc using a variety of means/materials. essentially fabricate/enchant sections which are assembled into the final ship so you can take damage/etc without disrupting the entire structure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads