• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Help needed with magical items pricing

bigbaddragon

First Post
Hi,

I haven't played 3.5 in quite a while and got a little rusty with rules interpretation. The problem I'm having is this:

How would you price a magic item that gives +2 natural armor bonus, +2 wisdom bonus and +2 resistance bonus to saves?

As far as I remember the rules you add the first enchantment at normal price and then every following enchantment that is added to the same item costs 150% of it's original price. So it would turn out to be something like:

+2 natural armor 8k
+2 saves 4k x 1.5=6k
+2 wisdom 4k x 1.5=6k
----------------------------

But then there are rules in Magic Item Compendium on page 234 about adding and improving common item effects that confuse me a bit, mostly because it sounds too cheap.

So, what do you make out of all of this?

Greenfield

Adventurer
The MIC rules are quite different from the ones in the DMG. And they're frequently inconsistent with their own examples.

For example, the rules for making a Runestaff say up to five spells, with a minimum spell level of three.

Except that there are specific Runestaff examples with more than five spells in them and/or with first level spells in them.

Trying to reconcile the two rule sets really isn't possible. If you're the DM, pick a set and stick with it.

If you're the player, talk to the DM and work something out.

Sekhmet

First Post
Honestly, I'd probably use the "1.5x" formula all the way down. 1.5(8k+4k+4k) = 24k. I think that having two necklace affinity items and a cloak affinity item tied into one necklace slot is worth a small bump in price, but not so critical that it merits being dramatically different.

bigbaddragon

First Post
Thank you for your replies. The thing is that there is a guy in a game I'm in that has an item with bonuses I mentioned above and the item costs 16k (or in other word just a sum of those enchantment costs, no penalties whatsoever for stacking them to the same item). If the DM rolls with it I'm fine, that just means I would have the chance to rework my own items and get an additional plus here and there. The problem is that it seems a bit overpowered, stacking all kids of bonuses on a single item without any penalty to the price of the item.

And speaking of MIC inconsistencies, I totally agree on that point, there surely are a god number of them there.

Sekhmet

First Post
Considering the bonuses don't stack, it really doesn't matter -too- much. It just opens up some flavorful/situational items so you don't have to switch them out. All those Wondrous items that have interesting effects could be used without worrying that you'll need that +2 to a Saving Throw in the next turn or two.

MrFaust

First Post
I asked Monte Cook a question that is very much like your own. I had asked about the pricing of magical items such as a wand of infinite magic missles. Now you would think; wow, a wand that can cast a long range spell that always hits (even if it is level 1 with a d4+1) forever. That must cost a great deal while in truth it is quite cheep. I also explained about how we tried using the formula to recreate a number of items found in the DMG and couldnt.

His answer was Ad-Hoc. An I have been doing so ever since. If an item seems to cheap then throw a couple more grand into the cost. The formula's are a guideline to aid you in making items, not the law. You are the law as a DM. If you think that wand of infinite magic missles is too cheap at 800gp then add a couple more hundred gp. Simple as that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads