• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Identify vs other editions

irdeggman

First Post
But IIRC in every version the identify spell had the expensive components. 100 gp pearl was the same component in 2nd ed too.

In 3.0 you could identify 1 item per level - but only the lowest function of each item and it took 8 hrs to cst.

In 3.5 you can identify all functions/properties of a single item per casting with a casting time of 1 hour (and it doesn't work on artifacts).

By biggest problem with the spell is the same as its always been - the component is far too expensive. Now make it an expensive focus (100 gp pearl is fine for me) and that is an entirely different thing.

pawsplay

Hero
Doh! It doesn't work on artifacts, missed that.

But that's ok. The items in question are technically permissible within the magic items rules, anyway.

Jack Simth

First Post
In 3.5, it's listed as an ARCANE material component - Clerics with the Magic domain, or Cloistered Clerics, get to skip the material component cost.

Oscaron

First Post
pawsplay said:
I was fine with it at first, but recently they've been identifying minor artifacts. It hasn't broken the game, though. I'm just annoyed that my artifacts aren't as secret anymore. :)

Artifact lvl items are resistant to Identify and possibly ALL divination type spells if you want them to be. Depends what you want them to know.

Some items (Flaming Warsword of the Disembowelment God!!!) will obviously have been made to be noticed. But others (i.e., Eye of Mysteries, or any other mysteeeeeriously named item) may allow modified identification results for many reasons:
  • Mortal magic, even if channeled from a God, too weak. Special exemption to a higher lvl clergy member of the "God of Secrets", who may then decide that s/he wants the item.
  • May give different info to different alignments, classes, lvl, races.
  • It just doesn't WANT to give up some secrets and rather let out OTHERS :)

I never let silly things like rules get in the way of my secrets darn it! I'll let em out when *I* wanna let em out and in the manner to which I am accustomed!!!! *huff* *pant*

Sorry.

I much prefer Zoro's take on Identify though. The spell should be used for added insight or like a wizards appraisal tools for the determination of magical qualities of an item.

BUT - there's nothing to say an item, even non artifact, couldn't have been crafted to avoid Identify or Spellcrafting checks.

Wizard: "Reveal your secrets to me!"
Item: "Mr. Paddington would like to register his astonishment that a git like Snipe ever became a professor and advises him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business!"

One char of mine has an Elven Knife +2 that has routinely resisted any attempts by other races to Identify it. My char studied the enchantment and uses it on some crafted items she makes if time and cost permit it.

Osc

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
Jack Simth said:
In 3.5, it's listed as an ARCANE material component - Clerics with the Magic domain, or Cloistered Clerics, get to skip the material component cost.
You can also bypass the cost in the Eberron setting via the Least Dragonmark of Finding. One of the spell-like abilities you can select for that feat is Identify 1/day (increasing to 2/day if you also take the Lesser mark, and 3/day for the Greater mark).

Gwaihir

Explorer
zoroaster100 said:
I identifying items should take a Knowledge(arcana) or Spellcraft check, and Identify should not require an expensive component, but simply provide a +10 bonus on the skill check to identify items.

Oooo... I like this approach. Thanks! Consider it swiped for my next campaign.

Gwaihir

Explorer
Oscaron said:

BUT - there's nothing to say an item, even non artifact, couldn't have been crafted to avoid Identify or Spellcrafting checks.

Wizard: "Reveal your secrets to me!"
Item: "Mr. Paddington would like to register his astonishment that a git like Snipe ever became a professor and advises him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business!"

One char of mine has an Elven Knife +2 that has routinely resisted any attempts by other races to Identify it. My char studied the enchantment and uses it on some crafted items she makes if time and cost permit it.

Osc

This is a pretty darn cool idea as well. Thanks for the Input and Consider this swiped for my next campaign also.

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
I changed the spell so it works one of two ways:

1st version: Pearl becomes a Focus, but spell can only be cast 1/day.

2nd version: Pearl stays a a component, but change Targets: One Touched Object to Targets: One Touched Object per level(Maximum 10 touched objects).

cmanos

First Post
EDIT: Doh, a couple people beat me to telling you ID didn't work on Artefacts.

As for using Spellcraft for IDing, that is what we are doing in our current campaign. Save My Game has an article about it. It is pretty much exactly how we work it.

Last edited:

Oscaron

First Post
Gwaihir said:
This is a pretty darn cool idea as well. Thanks for the Input and Consider this swiped for my next campaign also.

Glad to help :)

One day I'll have to type up my rules for Magic Poisoning someday :)

Remove ads