• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] In what Perform category are these ?

Cybern

First Post
I have a Gnome Sorceror who has a circus background, and some gigolo training. With his 4 cross-class ranks I chose these : Dancing, Firebreathing, Kama Sutra (or harem training, lady-pleasing, whatever) and Juggling. <p>The case of dancing is easy enough, and I could do without Kama Sutra (even if it's in the character's concept). Professions (Gigolo) was not realy an option since the idea was not to get paid (or to do it as a job, for that mather) but rather to represent his professionnal training obtained from the Sharess clergy he was raised by.<p>The new Perform categories looked broad enough :

• Act
    Comedy
    Dance
    Keyboard instruments
    Oratory
    Percussion instruments
    String instruments
    Wind instruments
    Sing
But I can't figure where Firebreathing and Juggling would fit. In comedy, as they are somewhat clown-related? Or should I add a new category, like Perform (Circus)?:confused:

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Cybern said:
But I can't figure where Firebreathing and Juggling would fit. In comedy, as they are somewhat clown-related? Or should I add a new category, like Perform (Circus)?:confused:

I'd either go with Comedy or your Perform (Circus) idea.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I don't think it matters if you have gotten paid. I'd still make it "Profession (Gigolo)" in your situation. For that matter you could also make the other two "Profession (Firebreather)" and "Profession (Juggler)" or a wider, encompassing "Profession (Circus Performer)" if it fits in your campaign. Profession and Craft Skills can be used to satisfy most things that aren't covered by other areas.

Knight Otu

First Post
Cybern said:
he new Perform categories looked broad enough :

Dance

Firebreathing and Juggling might just fit into Dance. Admittedly, they are not really dancing, but as dance is the Perform type that involves the most movement compared to the others. It's not perfect, but it might fit.

Cybern

First Post
If I understood the Perform and Profession skills correctly, you cannot for example have Profession (Musician), as this skill, along with the mechanics for living off it, are covered by Perform. I know that Profession (Gigolo) should be a better idea, but my character is a libertin (low-Wis, high-Cha), and I think it wouldn't fit as a profession, but rather as an art form, or at least an entertainment for the lucky ladies.<p>The other circus skills like walking on rolling barrels (balance), trapeze (tumble/jump) and elephant handling (animal handling) are all covered by the base 3.0/3.5 skills. Strip-tease should fit in Perform (Dancing), I guess, but I'm not sure about Juggling. I can't imagine a upper class aristocrat (with the dancing skill) doing a valse then juggling with flaming torches and daggers... it's just weird.

reapersaurus

Explorer
I don't like the way this new Perform skill sounds...

It may have needed a change, to make it more realistic, but this is NOT it.

Last edited:

Mordane76

First Post
Cybern said:
If I understood the Perform and Profession skills correctly, you cannot for example have Profession (Musician), as this skill, along with the mechanics for living off it, are covered by Perform. I know that Profession (Gigolo) should be a better idea, but my character is a libertin (low-Wis, high-Cha), and I think it wouldn't fit as a profession, but rather as an art form, or at least an entertainment for the lucky ladies.<p>The other circus skills like walking on rolling barrels (balance), trapeze (tumble/jump) and elephant handling (animal handling) are all covered by the base 3.0/3.5 skills. Strip-tease should fit in Perform (Dancing), I guess, but I'm not sure about Juggling. I can't imagine a upper class aristocrat (with the dancing skill) doing a valse then juggling with flaming torches and daggers... it's just weird.

I'd say, for ease, that Juggling might fall under Sleight of Hand, which handles a lot of dextrous coordination actions (palming, planting, picking pockets). I don't think it would be too big of a stretch to put juggling under SoH.

Michael Tree

First Post
[sarcasm] It sure is wonderful that they changed Perform. This system sure is much more realistic and balanced than the old one. [/sarcasm]

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Mordane76 said:

I'd say, for ease, that Juggling might fall under Sleight of Hand, which handles a lot of dextrous coordination actions (palming, planting, picking pockets). I don't think it would be too big of a stretch to put juggling under SoH.

That's exactly my thought.

As for the gigolo aspects, I'd call them Profession (Gigolo) to cover the whole shebang. Add in Perform (Circus Performer) to cover the fire-breathing, dancing and what-not.

So it looks to me like you would have Sleight of Hand, Profession (Gigolo) and Perform (Circus Performer) in place of what you have now.

Terraism

Explorer
Mordane76 said:

Ding ding ding! I'd say we've got it - more than anything, juggling probably does fall right there. That still doesn't help with firebreathing though (or sword swallowing, which is related enough that... yeah.)

Remove ads