• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 - Is your game better?

Verdigris

First Post
I really like the new rules. 3.5 has moderately improved my game. Not the $60 I spent on the PHB and DMG, though. (Haven't seen the MM)

In balance, I like the new PHB and don't care for the new DMG.

Wish I'd spent half of that $60 on Arcana Unearthed. Now I'm on probation from my wife. :(

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think for me the clarifications kicked butt. I loved the cleaning up of the combat chapter for things like grapple. Many of the rules changes I hated though and have hurt my game. Some changes were necesarry but I had a fix for most of those anyways.

Its only 90 bucks so for me it was worth it but as my dislike of rules changes grow I'll be reverting to many 3e rules.

Tom Cashel

First Post
I'm just a player now (since the DM Burn-Out™), so I only had to buy the 3.5 Player's Handbook. This made my wife happy; I like the new layout and rules clarifications. I've only played one 3.5 session with 1st level characters, but so far so good.

I can understand how it might annoy those who don't use miniatures...but to those people I simply say "Get with the program." Wormy used miniatures, and he was aces in my book. Achorrath had nothin' on He Of The Vestigial Wings.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Truthfully? There are two kinds of changes in 3.5, the changes that were unneeded and really make this the 4th edition; and the changes that are just flat-out worse than 3.0. In fact, outside of the bard, I can't think of anything that doesn't fit into one of those two categories of bad changes, and more than I care to mention falls into both. I need more house rules to patch 3.5 back to playability than I ever did for 3.0.

Gundark

Explorer
yeah me too

Teflon Billy said:
3.5 has improved my game dramatically. Much, much closer to the kind of game I like to play.

The improvements on Rangers, Bards and Druids are all good.

The toning down of problem spells is near-exactly what I would've done (haste, Polymorph, Harm and Buffs are the major offenders).

Hell, I like the art better:)

I have yet to peruse the 3.5 DMG, but the PHB is spot on for my needs.

A lot of it likely could have been held off until 4E, but I'm cool with it. The value is there.

This pretty much sums up how i feel. We had fun in 3rd edition and we have fun in 3.5.... 3.5 is a game that I enjoy playing rule-wise vs 3rd edtion

Numion

First Post
Keeping with 3.0. Most of the changes I've seen were for the better. Just not worth the admission. Our houserules 3.0e engine chugs along just nice, thankyouverymuch ;)

Mostly our fixes deal with converting spells so that Wizards and Clerics don't get essentially free / cheaper magic items through spells. (Like buying +1 keen sword with multiple element +1d6's, then slapping a Greater Magic Weapon on top of that for übersword.)

pogre

Legend
3.5 is more in line with my house rules I was using for 3.0. I agree those that do not appreciate miniatures have a real bone to pick. Naturally, I am not in that camp.

Christian Walker

First Post
3.5 is my friend.

I like 3.5.

The books cost me $90, but I'm sure I'll see dozens of hours of enjoyment from them.

Speaking of which, visit my new campiagn page!!!

3.5 D&D in 1.0 Greyhawk!

sep13.jpg

Storminator

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
I think for me the clarifications kicked butt. I loved the cleaning up of the combat chapter for things like grapple. Many of the rules changes I hated though and have hurt my game. Some changes were necesarry but I had a fix for most of those anyways.

Its only 90 bucks so for me it was worth it but as my dislike of rules changes grow I'll be reverting to many 3e rules.

I helped my FLGS at GenCon, and I sold many PHBs on the 3.5 grapple rules. I just asked 3.0 players how you do a grapple. After they admitted complete ignorance of the rules they had been using, I flipped to the grapple page, showed 'em the rules and sold 'em a book. :)

PS

Remove ads