D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Khyber knife fighter build?

Griego

First Post
I just finished reading Three-Bladed Doom by Robert E Howard (great story, not a Conan or fantasy story, it's set in post-WWI Afghanistan), and at one point the main character (El Borak, an American expatriate who has "gone native" and is known throughout the Middle East for his fighting prowess) picks up and uses a Khyber knife, a three-foot-long, single-edged blade with an offset handle. Similar to a short sword, I guess, but it is characterized as particularly deadly in close quarters, where the scimitars, tulwars, and rifles wielded by his enemies are a hindrance, and El Borak is able to use the knife with devastating effect.

So, are there any weapons, classes, or prestige classes that might allow me to play a character like that? Lightly armored (if at all), with bonuses in close quarters, possibly at its best when against more than one enemy with larger/longer (reach?) weapons. As far as the weapons, is there anything out there that is similar to a short sword or a long dagger, possibly with increased threat range or multiplier? I'm not looking to do massive damage all the time, but to be able to be deadly under the right circumstances.

BENINHB

First Post
Light Weapons: Short Sword, Kukri

Larger Weapons: Khopesh, Jovar (Bigger weapons but looks similar to Khyber)

As far as builds go I would use the Exoticist variant of Fighter

Feats: Knifefighter (PGF pg40) + Improved Grapple + Rain of Blows/Flurry/whatever. Use full attack with a light blade in a grapple with no penalty.

Knowledge Devotion and Weapon Specialization can help improve the damage from each attack and fit the flavor of the character you described. Using clever tactics and superior skill with the weapon to inflict devastating damage

Water Bob

Adventurer
The Conan RPG has a similar weapon:

Knife, Zhaibar - The Zhaibar knife is as long as most swords, though it is shaped very much like a large knife and has a thicker blade than any sword. It is used throughout Ghulistan*. Its blade is three feet long, triangular and intended for slashing rather than thrusting. Most Zhaibar knives are bone handled.

*Ghulistan is the Hyborian Age's equivalent to the modern age's Afghanistan.

Damage: 1d12
Critical: x2
Armor Piercing: 1
Range Increment: --
Hardness: 8
Hit Points: 6
Weight: 3 lbs.
Type: Slashing

You'll probably want to take the damage down a bit (suggest 1d6 or 1d8). The Conan RPG features weapons that do much more damage than a standard d20 game. The game also features armor that absorbs damage rather that making the target harder to hit, thus the Armor Piercing statistic. Range Increment indictes that the weapon cannot be thrown.

To me, the illustration of the knife makes it look like a big carving knife, like one of those you'd use to slice a filet off a fish, except this one is as big as a short sword.

Last edited:

Griego

First Post
Light Weapons: Short Sword, Kukri

Larger Weapons: Khopesh, Jovar (Bigger weapons but looks similar to Khyber)

As far as builds go I would use the Exoticist variant of Fighter

Feats: Knifefighter (PGF pg40) + Improved Grapple + Rain of Blows/Flurry/whatever. Use full attack with a light blade in a grapple with no penalty.

Knowledge Devotion and Weapon Specialization can help improve the damage from each attack and fit the flavor of the character you described. Using clever tactics and superior skill with the weapon to inflict devastating damage

Knifefighter sounds great, right up the alley. Where can I find the Exoticist?

The Conan RPG has a similar weapon:

Knife, Zhaibar - The Zhaibar knife is as long as most swords, though it is shaped very much like a large knife and has a thicker blade than any sword. It is used throughout Ghulistan*. Its blade is three feet long, triangular and intended for slashing rather than thrusting. Most Zhaibar knives are bone handled.

*Ghulistan is the Hyborian Age's equivalent to the modern age's Afghanistan.

Damage: 1d12
Critical: x2
Armor Piercing: 1
Range Increment: --
Hardness: 8
Hit Points: 6
Weight: 3 lbs.
Type: Slashing

You'll probably want to take the damage down a bit (suggest 1d6 or 1d8). The Conan RPG features weapons that do much more damage than a standard d20 game. The game also features armor that absorbs damage rather that making the target harder to hit, thus the Armor Piercing statistic. Range Increment indictes that the weapon cannot be thrown.

To me, the illustration of the knife makes it look like a big carving knife, like one of those you'd use to slice a filet off a fish, except this one is as big as a short sword.

That knife sounds like it was adapted directly from the Khyber knife. I definitely am going for a d6 dmg weapon, whether taken as-is or modified. And yeah, it does look like a huge steak knife, sans serrations, doesn't it? :D

HoboGod

First Post
Like BENINHB said, the only close quarters where small blade beats large blade is in grapple.

The core of this build is most likely Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm 52.) It's basically improved grab with a light weapon or unarmed strike and it give you a lot of the same benefits as Knifefighter. A prestige class you might want to take is Reaping Mauler, for it's bonuses to grapple (Complete Warrior 75.) At which point, if you're considering Orc or Half-Orc, you'll want the Clever Wrestler feat (Complete Warrior 97), or if you don't mind the level adjustment, go for Half-Giant or Goliath. In terms of items, Gloves of Fearsome Grip and Belt of Giant's Strength are a must. Basically, you're making a grapple build, but using a knife instead of unarmed strike. I'm not sure what to go for to improve light weapons using a strength based build, but you might want to invest in feats like Flick of the Wrist.

Remove ads