• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 Monster Manual Issues

Synicism

First Post
So I've been flipping through my new 3.5 ed books, looking for relevant changes to one of my characters, who happened to be a lycanthrope.

1. I like the fact that afflicted lycanthropes now have a ECL modifier. So now we know what happens when your PC gets bitten and fails that saving throw.

2. Why is it that the lycanthrope stat modifiers are, for the most part, very different from the "revised" ones in Savage Species? SS changed their stats around (as well as the stats of the base animals) so that some of them (like the weretiger) weren't so grossly overpowered (+12 Strength?!), but the 3.5 MM happily ignored SS and went right back to the original stats. What's more, it makes all lycanthropes a mere +3 ECL, from the cool, but comparatively inoffensive werewolf to the walking monstrosities of death that are the werebear and weretiger.

3. I loved the combat tactics breakdown that Wizards advertised when they were pushing the new book. Why is it that so few of the monsters in the 3.5 MM have it? I mean, the way Wizards was talking, it sounded like every one of the monsters was going to have one of these. Many monsters that could have benefitted from such a breakdown (dragons, powerful outsiders, etc.) don't have them. What's up?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Synicism said:

3. I loved the combat tactics breakdown that Wizards advertised when they were pushing the new book. Why is it that so few of the monsters in the 3.5 MM have it? I mean, the way Wizards was talking, it sounded like every one of the monsters was going to have one of these. Many monsters that could have benefitted from such a breakdown (dragons, powerful outsiders, etc.) don't have them. What's up?

That has been the biggest disappointment for me. To be fair, they did tell us not all monsters would be getting tactics but i'd have loved to see a lot more of these. Dragons especially.

Last edited:

Number47

First Post
I am hoping that a continuing Tactics feature for different monsters might become a regular feature on the Wizards website. That would be something I actually use!

FireLance

Legend
Synicism said:
2. Why is it that the lycanthrope stat modifiers are, for the most part, very different from the "revised" ones in Savage Species? SS changed their stats around (as well as the stats of the base animals) so that some of them (like the weretiger) weren't so grossly overpowered (+12 Strength?!), but the 3.5 MM happily ignored SS and went right back to the original stats. What's more, it makes all lycanthropes a mere +3 ECL, from the cool, but comparatively inoffensive werewolf to the walking monstrosities of death that are the werebear and weretiger.

I'll field this one. Animal Hit Dice also count towards character level. Hence, a 1st-level Wererat Fighter is ECL 5 (1 Ftr level + 1 Animal HD + 3 LA), a 1st-level Werewolf Fighter is ECL 6 (1 Ftr level + 2 Animal HD + 3 LA), a 1st-level Weretiger Fighter is ECL 10 (1 Ftr level + 6 Animal HD + 3 LA).

FireLance

Legend
Re: Re: Re: 3.5 Monster Manual Issues

Lord Pendragon said:
Hmmm. This could spell the end of wererat thieves' guilds...

Yes, but they now make excellent henchmen for Uridezu (rat demons from MotP) and mix well with Abyssal Dire Rats. I like it. :D

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
One thing concerns me about the new MM. I have not checked out all the monsters, but I know one monster that *really* seems to have been altered just to fit better as a miniature: the wyvern.

It has a space/reach of 10'/5'. I did a double take when I saw that. In 1st & 2nd edition, these creatures were 35' long. In 3.0, they were 30' long. In 3.5, they are 15' long. Their wingspan was 50' in all previous editions. Suddenly in 3.5 their wingspan is 20'.

Can anyone think of any reason to do this besides the miniature angle?

Last edited:

heirodule

First Post
"Aquatic"

I used to like the aquatic subtype, since it let lizardmen and bullywugs and sahuagin get grouped for purposes of Ranger favored enemy.

Now auqatic is specifically for creatures that can breathe underater/have gills, so no more lizardfolk.

:-(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads