• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] New to the druiding world

ForceUser

Explorer
mikebr99 said:
But the new "Shillelagh" more then makes up for it...

Mike
Yeah, actually, you've touched on my one pet peeve for 3.5 - 1 min/level duration augmentation and defense spells.

Your normal fight lasts 3 to 5 rounds. As a low-level druid, I want to go in with shillelagh, barkskin on a couple of my buddies, cat's grace, endurance, produce flame, etc etc. Darn hard to get all the buffs going that you want going for the fight now that they're all 1 min. or 10 min. per level.

On the plus side, the same is true for the bad guys. Still, boo...hiss.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
smetzger said:
I would suggest playing your Druid as if he was a Wizard. Try to stay out of melee and use your spells to the best advantage.
I halfway agree with smetzger on this. On the one hand, it's true that the druid lacks good armor and weaponry, and will be safer if he stays in the back with the mages. However, unlike the wizard he has reasonable hit points and BAB; combined with wild shape, that makes him a decent second-tier melee combatant.

Hang back when it's dangerous, but remember that you have more tactical options than the mages. If you spot an opening for a bear to charge in and munch the enemy casters, go take 'em out. Or if your front line is outnumbered and about to be flanked, shift and move up to support them.

AuraSeer said:

Hang back when it's dangerous, but remember that you have more tactical options than the mages. If you spot an opening for a bear to charge in and munch the enemy casters, go take 'em out. Or if your front line is outnumbered and about to be flanked, shift and move up to support them.

Or be an elven druid, and take over ranged combat duties. :)

Krash

First Post
Well, thanks for the replies. I think I got a good idea of where I want to take the character now. Strangely enough, for a dwarf I think I will try and be a negotiator type...high charisma and lots of diplomacy skill.
Combat will no doubt play a part, and I reckon it will be best saved until wildshape comes into effect and help out as much as possible. It sure looks as though wildshape is a high damage, weak defense option on most counts though !
I started with 5k gp, so I think a couple of wands and some miscellaneous items are the best I can hope for at the moment. Maybe a cloak of resistance and a pearl of power....anyone suggest something better?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads