D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 optimization challenge

Carpone

First Post
I'm playing in a 6th level 3.5 D&D campaign and need help identifying optimal buildouts using the following restrictions.

Allowed sourcebooks: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Stormwrack, Arms and Equipment Guide (except for Mercurial Greatswords). If it's not in one of those books, then it's not permitted. Animal companions are limited to PH/DMG/SW.

Additionally, the following classes and prestige classes are allowed from these books:

Samurai, Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior)
Ninja, Dread Pirate (Complete Adventurer)
Favored Soul, Shugenja (Complete Divine)
Wu Jen, Blood Magus (Complete Arcane)

Note: Feats in the Complete books are not permitted unless they are part of the progression from one of the permitted classes (so no cherry picking).

House rules:
Profession Sailor and Use Rope are considered class skills for every character.
Characters can and probably should be an evil alignment, or at least neutral. Good characters are likely to be killed off. :)
Clerics retain access to all three domains (instead of just two). There's a huge number of gods and domain combinations to choose from (too long to list here).

Because it's a pirate/seafaring themed campaign, Knowledge (geography), Profession Sailor and Survival will absolutely be useful but not required.

What would you play? Bonus points for pirate/seafaring theme flavor.

Dandu

First Post
Rogue2/Swashbuckler3/Dread Pirate 1 is flavorful, but rather weak.

Bard 6 is solid, especially if you go with Inspire Courage optimization and Dragonfire Inspiration.

Power wise, there's really no way to catch up with a good caster build. Honestly, I'd just cast fireball a lot and watch enemy ships burn.

Last edited:

LuckyBoneDice

First Post
Rogue2/Swashbuckler3/Dread Pirate 1 is flavorful, but rather weak.

Bard 6 is solid, especially if you go with Inspire Courage optimization and Dragonfire Inspiration.

Power wise, there's really no way to catch up with a good caster build. Honestly, I'd just cast fireball a lot and watch enemy ships burn.

I love the Rogue/Swashbucker/Dread Pirate combo. Very Barbossa-Esq

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What kind of character do you want to play? Stormwrack gives access to prestige classes for various things. I rather enjoyed Stormcaster with my Evoker, despite the lost caster level. Then again, without access to Spell Compendium for more useful sonic and lightning spells (or even the Energy Substitution feat to make them yourself), maybe it isn't so good. Scarlet Corsair is a fun class.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
You could always go for the standard druid powerbuild and choose an aquatic-based race - Aventi can breath both air and wanter, Darfellan have hold breath, and the aquatic elf has gills (but are limited to how long they can be out of the water). Even a normal race, as a druid, would work well. Have a shark, squid, or crocodile as an animal companion. :p

Characterizing a druid for the campaign is more fluff than mechanics...such as wearing clothes made of seaweed and always smelling of fish, going on rants about saving whales and killing humans, etc.

pawsplay

Hero
If you want raw power, it's hard to do better than Cleric 6, Druid 6, or Wizard 6. If I wanted to mix it up a bit, I think I might go with Swashbuckler 3/Wiz 3, heading toward Eldritch Knight, with Quick Draw and focusing on two-weapon fighting.

Dandu

First Post
If you want raw power, it's hard to do better than Cleric 6, Druid 6, or Wizard 6. If I wanted to mix it up a bit, I think I might go with Swashbuckler 3/Wiz 3, heading toward Eldritch Knight, with Quick Draw and focusing on two-weapon fighting.
... seriously?

Either you're going to have to blow a feat on Eschew Materials and Still Spell or Somatic weaponry, or else you're going to suck at both fighting and casting spells.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
... seriously?

Either you're going to have to blow a feat on Eschew Materials and Still Spell or Somatic weaponry, or else you're going to suck at both fighting and casting spells.

I'm not sure I follow. As long as you cast spells that are only one standard action or less, you can sheathe and cast a spell, then the next round draw your weapon again as a free action. Mage armor and shield provide a very nice AC.

Dandu

First Post
I'm not sure I follow. As long as you cast spells that are only one standard action or less, you can sheathe and cast a spell, then the next round draw your weapon again as a free action.
Any plan that involves provoking additional attacks of opportunity in order to cast spells cannot be a good one.
Mage armor and shield provide a very nice AC.
The equivalent AC of a set of full plate, yes. Except the full plate is a constant +8 to AC, while shield must be cast shortly before or during combat due to its duration.

Last edited:

Remove ads