• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Racial Weapon Proficiency?

Azaar

Explorer
I'm having trouble trying to find the rules and such for how racial weapons are handled for all races. I know some races have Weapon Familiarity (like the Dwarves and Gnomes). Specifically, I want to be certain as to whether the elven lightblades/thinblades/courtblades are considered racial weapons and therefore would apply as Martial Weapon Proficiency for elves, or if Exotic Weapon Proficiency would be required, regardless.

If a race's description says it has weapon familiarity with a certain weapon, it does. If it doesn't say anything, it doesn't.

Most races are relatively well balanced by other factors. Handing out free exotic weapon proficiencies can screw that up more than you think.

Azaar

Explorer
Huh, okay. Reason I was asking was because I thought I'd seen something in one of the books about how a weapon that has a racial element (like the elven thinblade, or the dwarven urgosh) could be learned as a Martial Weapon Proficiency by that race, rather than as an Exotic Weapon Proficiency. I admit to possibly having been confused.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Most races are relatively well balanced by other factors. Handing out free exotic weapon proficiencies can screw that up more than you think.

Considering how many players seem to make humans (which char optimization board like to call "always the best choice"), I'm not sure there's much need for concern about that. :)

Just saying...

Huh, okay. Reason I was asking was because I thought I'd seen something in one of the books about how a weapon that has a racial element (like the elven thinblade, or the dwarven urgosh) could be learned as a Martial Weapon Proficiency by that race, rather than as an Exotic Weapon Proficiency. I admit to possibly having been confused.

There's an Improved Weapon Familiary feat in some of the Races of X books. It is like Exotic Weapon Proficiency, except it nets you proficiency with ALL of your race's exotic weapons (anything with "Elven" in the name, for example). Either Races of Stone or C.Warrior had some line in the equipment section about asking your DM to swap which exotic weapons your race came proficient with or treated as Martial weapons, so there's also that.

Azaar

Explorer
Complete Warrior does say something about it -- also has Improved Weapon Familiarity as a listed feat in the book. Cool deal. Thanks guys.

irdeggman

First Post
Races of Stone pg 141

Improved Weapon Familiarity - all racial exotic weapons are treated as martial weapons for your race, prereq +1 BAB

Remove ads