• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 ShielMaster/Crusader worth for tanking?

Luka

First Post
Hi, I'm new and came from playing MMORPGs always as Tank, and don't know which class would've best for tanking

Seen around people saying the Crusader was the best Tank, but been browsing around and found this PrC, it has no discussion so couldn't see if people liked it or no.

So, though about making a Fighter/Crusader with Shieldmaster PrC for tanking and buffing the Tower Shield and make it usefull, but don't know if it's worth as a Tank.

So, anyone does know if it works for tanking or not?

Oh and also, are there Soulshots in this game?

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
Well, you should remember most people that DM almost never allow things from the d&d wiki because a lot are homebrewed as well as overpowered. People tend to stick all they want in the class itself and not consider what might picked up through feats, classes, items...etc. This is example where it is sort of the case, but it is taking a non-optimal fighting style and kind of make it optimal.
In most applications, especially in the high levels, two-handed is simply better. It is less feat intensive. The right weapons give you more reach as well as more tactical options. A few combat maneuvers get bonuses for using a two handed weapon to deliver and resist them. At high levels people can just buy a dancing shield and Improved Buckler Defense+Shield ward made additional AC form normal shields obsolete.
What are Soulshots?

Luka

First Post
Just saying about the Shieldmaster since shields here don't block, so I though it would give fairness to it, and to make them worth for playing in high levels with having to sacrifice defence for attack, I love tanking.

I hate two-handed, it turns fighters into glass cannons, I've always been better at getting everyone on me than being a nuker, always used the old sword-and-board;and as far I know, the crusader's a pure tank, and was thinking about getting a Tower Shield with Greater Reflection to screw mages, I heard they're pretty overpowered.
Was actually thinking into getting a charge-optimized fighter before knowing about the Crusader.

Soulshots? they're an item that doubles damage, it's used widely in Lineage 2.

emoplato

First Post
Just saying about the Shieldmaster since shields here don't block, so I though it would give fairness to it, and to make them worth for playing in high levels with having to sacrifice defence for attack, I love tanking.

I hate two-handed, it turns fighters into glass cannons, I've always been better at getting everyone on me than being a nuker, always used the old sword-and-board;and as far I know, the crusader's a pure tank, and was thinking about getting a Tower Shield with Greater Reflection to screw mages, I heard they're pretty overpowered.
Was actually thinking into getting a charge-optimized fighter before knowing about the Crusader.

Soulshots? they're an item that doubles damage, it's used widely in Lineage 2.
No, there aren't any items that let you deal double damage, might be a spell. However, you are new to D&D. Yes? Understand that a difference of even 5 feet between you and the enemy is often the difference being of attacked once or seven possibly more times. That is what I mean by tactical it isn't just the power attack/leap attack multiplying+shock trooper a simple hold the line or the thicket of blades stance would screw that up. Two-handed weapons are great with lockdown builds(characters that prevent people from doing anything) because of extended reach and additional bonuses to combat maneuvers(tripping..etc). Also as I said there are abilities that render that take additional AC from regular sword and broad build and apply to other types.
As for reflecting that is only against you specifically. It also needs to have a defined spell level to work against the caster, if it doesn't you get hit. The problem with being the immortal statue is that everyone can run around and ignore you.

Luka

First Post
Understand that a difference of even 5 feet between you and the enemy is often the difference being of attacked once or seven possibly more times. That is what I mean by tactical it isn't just the power attack/leap attack multiplying+shock trooper a simple hold the line or the thicket of blades stance would screw that up. Two-handed weapons are great with lockdown builds(characters that prevent people from doing anything) because of extended reach and additional bonuses to combat maneuvers(tripping..etc). Also as I said there are abilities that render that take additional AC from regular sword and broad build and apply to other types.
As for reflecting that is only against you specifically. It also needs to have a defined spell level to work against the caster, if it doesn't you get hit. The problem with being the immortal statue is that everyone can run around and ignore you.

Wouldn't they need a reach weapon for that?, like a spear or something? haven't seen anywhere about two-handed weapons having reach. I've only seen they have the same range as one-handed. And if they have reach, wouldn't just Charging or bull rush "stun" them? if I'm allowed Shieldmaster, even worse (Impact Shield, Tower Charge)
For Lockdows, wouldn't some crusader maneuvers work too?, as far I know, it has some taunt-like maneuvers that penalize enemies for not attacking you.
You mean Render Sword and Board useless? possibly, though Tower Shield's pretty good against ranged weapons yet (gives total cover) and doesn't give just a bit of AC; or use a longspear?, but the thing's being a tank anyways, and a tower shield is pretty usefull with the total cover.

emoplato

First Post
Wouldn't they need a reach weapon for that?, like a spear or something? haven't seen anywhere about two-handed weapons having reach. I've only seen they have the same range as one-handed. And if they have reach, wouldn't just Charging or bull rush "stun" them? if I'm allowed Shieldmaster, even worse (Impact Shield, Tower Charge)
For Lockdows, wouldn't some crusader maneuvers work too?, as far I know, it has some taunt-like maneuvers that penalize enemies for not attacking you.
You mean Render Sword and Board useless? possibly, though Tower Shield's pretty good against ranged weapons yet (gives total cover) and doesn't give just a bit of AC; or use a longspear?, but the thing's being a tank anyways, and a tower shield is pretty usefull with the total cover.
Do you not know of the spiked chain and its other friends? Reach+adjacent square attacking, inherent weapon bonuses to tripping and disarming, and two-handed bonuses. You can use others but it is the ability to maximize you threat area without having to worry about what is right by you that is beauty of weapons like that. This especially comes in its own if there is size and reach increases. Plus, since two-handed deal more inherent damage the stand still feat(instead of an attack roll you roll damage+10 as a fort. save DC against them on attacks of opportunity due to movement, remember thicket of blades). If you don't want a spiked chain, look to its big cousin the meteor hammer same reach+adjacent, but more damage and is a flail(three mountains style strike twice, never said anything about damage, sickened). Yet, again total cover may be nice for you, but not for other people as you can't retaliate so enemies just ignore.

Luka

First Post
Haven't seen much about spiked chain or meteor hammer, gonna have to check them out in case of another weapon, though all I'm actually searching is as much tanking ability and AC as possible, for both solo (Leeroy Jenkins) and party tanking.
I mean Total cover in case of Arrows and stuff, but tower shield gives a nice AC boost, isn't just the cover. And if enemies ignore, then just use Overwhelming Assault and Defensive Sweep when out of cover.
Also that some Devoted Spirit Maneuvers need a shield.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads