• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] staves usefull again!

Hygric

First Post
Anyone else noticed yet that with a staff you can use a save DC as if you were casting the spell? So an int 20 greater spell focus evoker could tonk a fireball out of a staff of fire with a DC of 20.

yay!

Talath

Explorer
It's funny, me and a friend were talking about how staves were almost useless.

Wait till he founds out this info, that is so cool!

Mister Mojo

First Post
Yes, staves are now the high-level Wizard/Sorcerer toys I've always thought they should be...but there is one puzzling oversight in the new DMG. Specifically, check out the ever-popular Staff of the Magi -- according to its write up, it has set DCs for all its effects. As it's a minor artifact, I understand it can break the rules, but doesn't this make it considerably less attractive than that perennial bridesmaid, the Staff of Power?

What do you think, wonky rules or simple oversight? I personally suspect the whole Artifacts section was cut & pasted without much editing (not bashing the book, mind you; I like 3.5 tremendously, but I think that's the simplest explanation for this discrepancy).

Oh, yes, this is my first post. :cool:

Hygric

First Post
I think with a big stick that you can use either it's or your DC (and caster level to! didn't know that bit!!!). That still gives a reason to have DC's listed for the SotM. Not sure though, as the 3.5 DMG is about 800 meters away from me at the moment.

And this has made a certain epic level drow mage in a game I run rather happy indead. :)

Remove ads