• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Voluntarily reducing area spells?

Sparafucile

First Post
This came up in a recent session. Is there a rule in the RAW that allows a caster to voluntarily reduce the area of spells such as stinking cloud, web, entangle, etc?

We found the rule that says you could reduce caster level to do less damage, but can you make a 20' radius spell a 5' radius, or just affect a single square?

Malachei

First Post
Without having my books with me, as far as the SRD is concerned, I think the answer is no.

You can, however, use the sculpt spell feat or the mastery of shaping archmage ability to do this.

SolitonMan

Explorer
We found the rule that says you could reduce caster level to do less damage, but can you make a 20' radius spell a 5' radius, or just affect a single square?

I've been looking for something like this so I can justify reducing the intensity of my warlock's eldritch blast. Could you perhaps provide a link to the relevant portion of the SRD? Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: Sorry, found it myself at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel

Last edited:

akbearfoot

First Post
It's a metamagic feat called sculpt spell.

Or it is an Archmage class feature called Mastery of Shaping.

If it we possible to do it normally, there would be no need for these abilities to exist.

Also thats kind of a built in limitation on a lot of spells. You don't throw a lightning bolt down a hallway where your friends are fighting for a reason. And you can't make a Cloudkill or a Fog Cloud with a little hole in the middle for you to hide.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Without having my books with me, as far as the SRD is concerned, I think the answer is no.

You can, however, use the sculpt spell feat or the mastery of shaping archmage ability to do this.

Those are both good options. Also consider if high level the Extraordinary Spell Aim feat. I think it's in C.Adventurer, might be C.Acane. Lets you leave holes in an area spell if you can make a concentration check. Also, C.Mage has spellguard rings. For 6000 gp per pair, 3 times/day it gives the other wearer spell immunity against a spell you cast.

Dandu

First Post
If you cast a spell whose area of effect is dependent on your caster level, you can reduce the caster level voluntarily, to a minimum of the caster level required to be able to cast the spell.

irdeggman

First Post
From the FAQ (also PHB pg 170)

CASTER LEVEL
A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell.

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
In the event that a class feature, domain granted power, or other special ability provides an adjustment to your caster level, that adjustment applies not only to effects based on caster level (such as range, duration, and damage dealt) but also to your caster level check to overcome your target’s spell resistance and to the caster level used in dispel checks (both the dispel check and the DC of the check).

So a wizard can't cast a fireball that does less than 5d6 damage (min CL of 5 to cast a 3rd level spell).

A PHB paladin can't cast a cure light wounds spell that does less than 1d8+2 - PHB paladins never have a CL of less than 2, at 4th level they get spells and their CL is 1/2 of their class level.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
This came up in a recent session. Is there a rule in the RAW that allows a caster to voluntarily reduce the area of spells such as stinking cloud, web, entangle, etc?

Yes. Target a square's intersection in the air.

Showing off the airburst on a 2d plane.
atacknuke.gif

Here is my best guesses for a fireball airburst in 3D.
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/7662/3dfireball.gif OR http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4580/3d2015105.gif

Last edited:

Remove ads