• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Warlock's "Cocoon of Refuse"...Range?

Demmero

Explorer
I'm working up an NPC Warlock for my game tonight and thought that the "Cocoon of Refuse" invocation (Cityscape, p. 68) would be perfect, as the action's currently taking place in a ramshackle port town. The description makes it sound like a ranged attack...but I see no range given in the invocation's description.

My Google-fu isn't great, but I couldn't find anything about it on the web. Am I missing something about warlock invocations? Is "Cocoon of Refuse" a touch effect? Has anyone houseruled a range if there's indeed an omission in the rules?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Same range as an Entangle spell (400+ feet)?

Dandu

First Post
That is an excellent question. Offhand, if you're going to use it in a city, you could make it so the combat takes place at ranges which it does not matter, which will serve as a makeshift solution until we can find a better answer.

Edit: Looked at the invocation. Really doesn't say... I'd suggest you make it a close or medium range for now.

irdeggman

First Post
Yup the book doesn't say and I couldn't find any errata to help either.

Since it highly resembles a web spell, I would use that as the basis - range medium.

Visigani

Banned
Banned
Entangle :: d20srd.org

Entangle
Transmutation
Level: Drd 1, Plant 1, Rgr 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Plants in a 40-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No
Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those that enter the area, holding them fast and causing them to become entangled. The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.

Note: The effects of the spell may be altered somewhat, based on the nature of the entangling plants.

Cocoon of Refuse is effectively an urban variant on Entangle. Which it states.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads