D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What's a good wizard feat for level 6?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I notice you're taking Fiery Burst at 5th, which is not a legal bonus feat for a 5th level Wizard. You're required to take a metamagic feat,-*snip*-.

Why would a reserve feat not count? Is that not a type of spell mastery? If I were the dm, I would allow it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What kind of conjurations are you emphasizing? If you have a taste for summonings of all kinds:

Imbued Summoning (PHB2, p92) Your summoned creatures can come into existence with the benefit of a buff spell.

Cloudy Conjuration feat: conjurations accompanied by a cloud of sickening smoke (CompMage p40). The cloud is similar to a Fog cloud spell, and doesn't affect creatures summoned by the spell.

Dimensional Reach reserve feat: if you have a 3rd lvl or higher conjuration spell, you get an at will mage hand effect, and you also get +1CL for conjuration (summoning) spells. (CompArc p41)

Summon Elemental reserve feat: lets you briefly summon elementals, and also givs a +1CL on summoning spells. (CompArc p47-8)

aboyd

Explorer
I notice you're taking Fiery Burst at 5th, which is not a legal bonus feat for a 5th level Wizard.
"A wizard can take a reserve feat as her bonus feat at 5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th level, in place of a metamagic or item creation feat." Page 37, Complete Mage.

metamagic school focus can arguably drop the +1 level modifier down to +0
What is this wizardry!?!?! I must haev it!!!

OK, this is looking good now.

6th. imbued summoning (phb2: apply Displacement, Girallon's Blessing, Heroics, Hamatula Barbs, or Mage Armor to summon)
9th. metamagic school focus
10th. spontaneous divination ACF
12th. energy substitution (electricity)
15th, A. Augment Elemental (Magic of Ebberon, stacks with Augment Summons)
15th, B. Sudden Maximize
18th. Beckon the Frozen (Frostburn, +1d6 to natural attacks for summons)

I don't really like Beckon the Frozen being tacked on the end, when an extra d6 probably no longer matters much. However, I can't see where else to fit it in! I might be able to juggle the spontaneous divination ACF until later, if my spellbook fattens up with a bunch of extra spells. Or maybe give up on energy substitution and accept that I should have a few lightning bolts prepared just in case fire isn't a hot option.

In any case, I seem to have gone from not enough options to too many, and I want them all now.

What kind of conjurations are you emphasizing?
@ 1st level summon: celestial badger, with rage
@ 2nd level summon: celestial riding dog, using trip
@ 3rd level summon: celestial bison OR fiendish ape

I love the ape's reach, and cannot wait to summon him with Imbued Summoning so I can use Girallon's Blessing to give him 4 arms & a rend attack. Also, as the level 2 spell, I will sometimes request 3 of the level 1 spiders. Then I just have them spamming webs at enemies.

Last edited:

Pergentile

Explorer
You should post the character sheet somewhere. I like the idea of a summoner, but have never gotten around to making one because of how many options there are for both Wizards and Conjurers.

aboyd

Explorer
You should post the character sheet somewhere.
OK, sure. I'll start with the Summon Monster sheets that I've made for myself. These stat blocks have Augmented Summoning worked into them, so they are not the normal stat blocks you'd get from the SRD. I adjusted not only the attacks & hit points (due to the extra str & con) but all the small details, such as carrying capacity, check DCs (such as the break DC for spider webs), skills, etc.

Here is how my sheets work. I first list my "go to" monster in full, which is the main creature I use for combat. Next, I have an abbreviated list of a few other monsters that I typically use for interesting effects, such as using the earth elemental to glide through the stones of a dungeon, scouting ahead.

Attached are my sheets for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level Summon Monster spells. I will come back to this thread later to post the 4th level Imbued/Augmented Summon Monster, in which I use the Dire Ape with Girralon's Blessing to give it 4 arms & a rend attack. :)

Thanks all!

Attachments

• summons_augmented_level_1.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 393
  • summons_augmented_level_2.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 310
  • summons_augmented_level_3.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

Dingleberry

First Post
I'm with shadyizok: Alacritous Cogitation is very useful and a lot of fun, especially in a party without a sorcerer - plus it gels well with Collegiate Wizard since you'll have more spells in your book.

Remove ads