• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Whip feats?

Eman Resu

First Post
spiked chain is a good solid multi-purposed weapon...
there are spells that make magical whips , forgot the names?
Dandu already said the psionic class (but like soulknife no actual psionics) Pyroken. class thats actually kinda cool, provided your DM doesnt have fire res creatures in every encounter! Reminds me more of a comic book super-hero/villian beware of Whiplock!

Erdrick Dragin

Banned
Banned
Thank you! I couldn't find the entry for the Mighty Whip, but we knew there was a write-up for one. Also, I'll look up that PDF, thank you!

Honestly, thank you everyone!

There's no point in having Mighty Whips in the game. In 3.0, whips were considered Ranged weapons, which meant you can't use Strength bonus to add to damage.

In 3.5, they were correctly placed in the Melee weapon category, meaning you can use your Strength modifier now. Mighty Whips are obsolete in 3.5

Omegaxicor

First Post
I know someone will point it out but I could never figure out why anyone would wield a whip in 3.5, they might have said "you can reach out 100000ft" and noone would have taken it.

I HR that Weapon Focus (Whip) has an extra line "removes all of the B***S*** from the Whip making it an actual weapon that can be used" but only one of my players has even taken it up

Why did they make the weapon so bad and the spiked chain so awesome?

Deamondriver

First Post
Sorry, you're simply not informed.

Whips look cool in the movies. In 3.5 they're slightly less than useless.

I say that because they not only can't do diddly, they occupy a hand that could be wielding an actual weapon.

It's treated like a missile weapon, in that it doesn't threaten any area and provokes AoO to use, but it has the worst range of any ranged weapon in the game.

It does no damage at all to anyone or anything with a +1 to their armor, or any Natural Armor at all.

And, you can't actually use it for any of the neat movie stunts. No way to wrap it around a beam and swing from it, can't use it to grab things and draw them to you.

So my best advice? Find a new neat-looking weapon.

Whip dagger, 1d6 lethal damage crit 19-20/x2. Secondly, the lasher class (found in the Sword and Fist book) ignores the armored opponent restriction on any whip, and allows you to do the "neat movie stunts" you claim you can not do. Third, whip wielder with whilrwind attack =1 attack at every enemy within 15'. Whips are VERY useful.

kitcik

Adventurer
Whip dagger, 1d6 lethal damage crit 19-20/x2. Secondly, the lasher class (found in the Sword and Fist book) ignores the armored opponent restriction on any whip, and allows you to do the "neat movie stunts" you claim you can not do. Third, whip wielder with whilrwind attack =1 attack at every enemy within 15'. Whips are VERY useful.

Whip dagger still doesn't threaten.

Kusari Gama.

Deamondriver

First Post
As a lasher they threaten adjecent squares just like any other standard melee weapon. But no they do not threaten out to 15 feet (unfortunately)

nijineko

Explorer
You'd also have to take at least one level in a psionic class (psychic warrior, I suppose) or play a psionic race to qualify.

not necessarily so. taking one feat would do the trick as well. wild talent, or hidden talent. of the two, i suggest the latter if your dm allows.

plus, there was that article updating the pyrokinetic for all the energy damage types. so you could be an acetokinetic, or a sonokinetic, instead of pyro.

ps: electrokinetic = raiden?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads