• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Why Enlarge PERSON?

JoelF

First Post
Does anyone have any idea why they changed enlarge and reduce to only affect humanoids?

This is actually 2 questions: a) why only humanoids, it seems pretty silly to have a different spell to enlarge a horse, treant or dragon. b) What about enlarging or reducing objects? It was always a great strategy to enlarge a closed door to make it harder for pursuers to open, or reduce a brick to weaken a wall.
I'm considering making a new 0 level spells to enlarge and reduce items for these types of effects.

JoelF

Last edited:

JoelF

First Post
>For doors, just use Arcana Lock or Hold Portal.

Yes, but it made the enlarge spell just a bit more versatile - even if the bonus wasn't as good as what hold portal or arcane lock was, having a single spell available that had multiple uses is always a plus....but 3.5 seems to break these spells into multiple ones in general. Plus, you could use enlarge to create a suitable barrier to an empty doorway or corridor if there was a table in the room, etc.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Why Enlarge Person? because it actually moves you up a size category, and being able to Enlarge, say, a Gargantuan creature to Colossal is a bit much for a 1st level spell.

J

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
perhaps because it makes it easier to adjudicate? The whole enlarging and reducing of objects had the potential of getting out of hand and gaining benefits from a spell far beyond what the spell is designed for. As a DM I'd have happily disallowed both of the examples which you gave for instance.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Poor half-ogre gets no respect. :(

He is an NPC though. :D

Something bugs me about enlarge person, though, that just makes it seem overpowered for a first level spell... ¬_¬

Remove ads